Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #1

towing with a monaco

Looking at 1997 38' Monaco Dynasty Baron 325 cummins, would this be a good choice for pulling a 10,000 enclosed trailer. talking to owner on phone he doesn't know what chassi it has. thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

I believe that would be the Cummins C maybe the first year for the ISC. They are physically the same engine block but the ISC means fully electronic engine control. It would have some version of the Allison 3000 transmission. The Dynasty was built on the Semi monocoque chassis which is very strong, so if the hitch receiver is heavy enough then you should be ok. I'm sure that will be right at the top end of the hitch/chassis rating. You should try to get the coach weighed by axle to see if you have enough head room to allow for the tongue weight you are going to put on that drive axle. I'm not sure if that coach has a tag axle but with that kind of weight you really need one. It would solve many problems.

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

my 96 36' Dynasty has a hitch rating of 10000 lbs pull....500lb tongue (per owners manual). I have a 300hp 8.3 mechanical

I pull a 28' enclosed trailer with a dragster and race support equip without any problems
Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
dynasty is a great coach, and all will be rated for 10k lbs towing.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the input, have read about some chassis on monacos having suppension parts cracking, wanting to know if this model had that problem.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybeans View Post
Thanks for the input, have read about some chassis on monacos having suppension parts cracking, wanting to know if this model had that problem.
No problem with that Dynasty. The chassis with the trailing arm issue was on some Monaco entry level diesel coaches starting in '02. The Dynasty was built on Monaco's strongest chassis.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #7

I think you will be fine. One of the guys we go to the dunes with has either a 1997 or 1998 Dynasty (38' I believe) and he tows a 28' enclosed trailer with sand rail and quads. It does not have a tag axle but I have finally convinced him to use a weight distributing hitch when he tows. The chassis is rated for 10k pounds towing weight. I think he told me his trailer was just under 10k pounds when loaded. He has the 8.3c Cummins engine rated at 300 hp with 6-speed Allison 3000 transmission.

Our 03 Dynasty has the Cummins ISL engine and tows our 26' Haulmark Edge enclosed trailer great but ours is on the S-Series chassis and has a tag axle. Our trailer weighs just under 10k when loaded with the sand toys and around 12,500 with the Jeep, Harley and my son's Buell. We just returned from a trip to Ouray and it pulled the mountain passes very well loaded with the Jeep, both motorcycles and I am sure way more tools that I needed. There was not a grade that we dropped below 45 mph going over.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #8

Not trying to hijack the tread, but we have a 2000 Diplomat 38A and tow an aluminum 24' enclosed trailer. Our loaded weight can range from a bit over 5000lbs to about 9000lbs. I want to reinforce our hitch (it's only rated for 5000lbs, but 2001 diplomats were rated for 10000lbs. The only difference to my knowledge was the hitch...same motor, same trans, same axles) I'm curious about weight distributing hitches. Are they possible on this chassis (RR8R) and are they worth it.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
towing with a monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybeans View Post
Looking at 1997 38' Monaco Dynasty Baron 325 cummins, would this be a good choice for pulling a 10,000 enclosed trailer. talking to owner on phone he doesn't know what chassi it has. thanks
I think your engine is the C8.3 mechanical engine, plenty strong for that load. I also think the Dynasty frame is the strongest of all the Class A coaches. The 10,000 lb trailer is exactly what the Dynasty is rated to tow. I would want to check the tongue weight of the trailer. It think the Dynasty is rated at 500 lb tongue weight. Others may know better. If the tongue weight of your trailer is greater than 500 lb, possibly the hitch could be redesigned to handle the increased tongue weight.
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #10

The 1997 Dynasty has a Cummins C 8.3L 12 valve mechanical engine with a turbo charger. Some folks consider it one of the best and most reliable diesel engines because it does not rely on extensive electronic fuel injection.

It is a Roadmaster air ride chassis built by Monaco and has an Allison MD3060 6 speed transmission.

This is a great coach, but towing 10,000# will put you on the outside edge of the envelope. You will dislike mountain grades, especially in hot weather.

Banks Power makes a Stinger System for this engine that will add almost 200 ft lbs of toque. If your cooling system is up to the task, these Banks C8.3 engines can out power the larger Cummins ISL.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Banks Power makes a Stinger System for this engine that will add almost 200 ft lbs of toque. If your cooling system is up to the task, these Banks C8.3 engines can out power the larger Cummins ISL.
In talking with Banks personnel they said they would not hesitate to put the full PowerPack on that engine even though it put the power/torque over the rating of the 3060 trans.
And yes, the ISC with Banks shows a wider HP and torque curve than most of the ISL's up to the 425 HP unit. I haven't bothered to plot the 450 ISL against the ISC/Banks yet so no idea how it stacks up. I would like an engine brake though!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
The 1997 Dynasty has a Cummins C 8.3L 12 valve mechanical engine with a turbo charger. Some folks consider it one of the best and most reliable diesel engines because it does not rely on extensive electronic fuel injection.

It is a Roadmaster air ride chassis built by Monaco and has an Allison MD3060 6 speed transmission.

This is a great coach, but towing 10,000# will put you on the outside edge of the envelope. You will dislike mountain grades, especially in hot weather.

Our coach has the Banks Stinger system. The power is really good. There has never been a cooling system problem, ever. It runs at the thermostat controlled coolant temperature, always, all the time.

On our coach what has to be watched on long grades is the exhaust temperature. As an old diesel hand, I know that pistons can start melting down when exhaust temperatures hit 1350 degrees and higher. So, when my exhaust gauge hits 1250 degrees, I shift back and allow the climb up that hill to be a bit slower. Also, the engine power is really sensitive to the condition of the air filter. I believe the air filter in our coach is probably marginally sized. Probably a larger air filter would be an improvement.
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #13

i have a 98 dynasty duke with the 325hp 8.3l isc. i haul a 10,000lbs race car trailer. i dont think you'l be able to renforce the rear frame any better! around that year, there really isnt any coach better to haul that weight.

Tags
monaco, towing