Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoommaster View Post
I have a 2001 monico knight and we want to tow our jeep to Canada from California. Is there a law that says we got to have towing brakes on our jeep?
Contrary to most info published by vendors of supplemental braking systems and the well meaning rv magazines, virtally all states address supplemental braking systems as pertaining to trailers. Even that "oppressive" (just joking, folks), state of California does not require a braking system on an auto being towed.

All that being said, specificied braking performance is often a state requirement.

My toad weighs 3000 lbs and I feel very comfortable without brakes on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocop View Post
My toad weighs 3000 lbs and I feel very comfortable without brakes on it.
I'm not impressed by your interpretations of the law's. You should know better.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I'm not impressed by your interpretations of the law's. You should know better.
Well, to be frank, I wasn't really intending to impress you. Only to give some accurate info regarding traffic statutes. Since the poster will be traveling in WA, OR, and CA, I will emphatically state; neither of those states require his Jeep to be equipped with a supplemental braking system.

Now, I challenge you to quote statutes from any of those states that contradict my statement.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Please -The community rules state No flame throwing or name calling, guys.

I will also state that many of us prefer to tow with a braking system -but I do know the California law also states it is not required.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck towing without brakes, hope you never have a problem. But if you do remember to press hard when you sign your name on the tickets. Again good luck to you.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 AM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
MM...The Calif RV Manual is a very nice manual and should be read by all new RVers. Yes...page 27 says no brakes, page 34 talks about trailer brakes over 1500 pounds. I guess it goes back to the argument of what a car is considered and interpretation. I don't think Calif could enforce brakes on cars the way it's written.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I ran across this. I guess the weight limit would apply. "voila"

Federal Regulations
Title 49 (49CFR571) of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (10-1-08 Edition) defines a 'trailer' as follows: "'Trailer' means a motor vehicle with or without motive power, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by another motor vehicle.'

Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
MM...The Calif RV Manual is a very nice manual and should be read by all new RVers. Yes...page 27 says no brakes, page 34 talks about trailer brakes over 1500 pounds. I guess it goes back to the argument of what a car is considered and interpretation. I don't think Calif could enforce brakes on cars the way it's written.
And you're quite right, Don. And without trying to impress, I speak from 7 years experience as a CHP motor officer.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Page 27 titled::
MOTORHOMES TOWING CARS OR OTHER VEHICLES

If you wish to tow a vehicle behind your motorhome, you need to consider whether or not your motorhome can handle the extra weight under all conditions.
your vehicle must have sufficient braking power to stop the combined weight effectively
Motor home manufacturers provide limits on gross combined weight (motorhome plus car). This is the sentence that puts the responsibility back on the manufacturer.

Page 34 in the same manual is titled TRAILER BRAKES and discusses trailer coach or camp trailer.

This is also why Monaco (and other manufacturers) state in small print:::

* Towing capacity is limited by GCWR; your vehicle’s towing capacity is the difference between the GCWR and the actual vehicle weight, including all water, fuel, passengers and cargo. Your towed vehicle should be equipped with auxiliary brakes if the weight of the towed vehicle exceeds 1,000 lbs. Consult your owner’s manual for further towing information.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JMHO, but regardless of the possible legal issues for me this really comes down to a safety issue and good common sense. If you don't have some sort of a supplemental braking system installed then you don't have a breakaway system. If any part of your towing setup should fail your toad could then become a free wheeling missile possibly causing at the very least property damage, and at the very worst personal injury.

I have two friends that were former CA CHP officers and both of them have told me the hardest part of their jobs was witnessing the aftermath of serious injury vehicle accidents, especially when most of them have could have been avoided with either good common sense or proper safety maintenance.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
JMHO, but regardless of the possible legal issues for me this really comes down to a safety issue and good common sense. If you don't have some sort of a supplemental braking system installed then you don't have a breakaway system. If any part of your towing setup should fail your toad could then become a free wheeling missile possibly causing at the very least property damage, and at the very worst personal injury.

I have two friends that were former CA CHP officers and both of them have told me the hardest part of their jobs was witnessing the aftermath of serious injury vehicle accidents, especially when most of them have could have been avoided with either good common sense or proper safety maintenance.
Well put Bob. I bet many don't consider the fact that the car can break loose. I have seen reports of serious injury caused by base plate failure on towed cars. Although not an RV towing a car, a few years ago three men were killed where I worked by a utility trailer that broke loose from the towing vehicle. They were in the opposite lane from the trailer and the trailer hit their vehicle head on decapitating two of the three. I would hate to be the guy towing the trailer. He was in a hurry and did not attach the safety chains.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My toad is fairly heavy, 4600 pounds, and I wanted brakes for it no matter what, but the most important thing I wanted was a break away system. My SMI unit will immediately apply the brakes, stopping it quickly with the brake lights on.

On occasion I also tow a small open air MC trailer weighing about 1100 pounds with the bike on it. It has no brakes, but if it breaks loose the tongue would drop and most likely cause it to stop pretty quick. It wouldn't be the missle my truck would be.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
On occasion I also tow a small open air MC trailer weighing about 1100 pounds with the bike on it. It has no brakes, but if it breaks loose the tongue would drop and most likely cause it to stop pretty quick. It wouldn't be the missle my truck would be.
I agree Don. I actually had a small trailer come loose from the hitch and the safety cables held it fine, didn't even damage my tow vehicle. I just don't think a toad weighing at least 2,000 lbs or more would stay connected even with strong safety cables because I think the base plate would be the weakest link.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
The fact that somebody tows with or without braking systems only matters to the individual towing.
The people driving close by can only hope that the person towing considered the responsibility and liability factors.
I feel that before we tow, we should check out more than what suits our immediate needs on the subject.

Here's some more Info.
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories