Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garranch View Post
We tow our 89 Jeep Wrangler behind our 01 Dip and do not use a braking system. The State of Colorado requires such as system if anything towed is over 3500#, the Jeep is 3450 full of fuel.
Regardless of what the law says if I felt I was putting my family (or others) in danger by not having a braking system I would install one.
The coach has a max gross weight rating. Part of that equation is the coach braking system. Fully loaded pulling the Jeep we are not any where near the max limit. I believe a properly setup good tow bar system with safety cables is not a danger to any one. The RV drives, and stops no different pulling the light jeep.
Make sure your saftey chains are connected to the frame of the jeep and not the base plate. If you have a base plate failure without the benifit of a brake-away braking system then the saftey chains are the only thing keeping your vehicle from becoming a runaway.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #44

Katoommaster

There are many states that state (via FMCA guidance) that brakes are required for any towed vehicle that weighs more than 1500 lbs. I can not think of one towed that fits that weight. You mentioned that you wanted to go to Canada. I understand that Canada REQUIRES brakes on toweds. Now whether they will check is another question.

I finally decided that I required brakes for liability reasons. If I/you should get into an accident (especially in Canada) and a smart lawyer asked whether we had brakes on the towed and we answered "No", I believe it would go very badly for us.

M&G Engineering of Athens, TX (1-800-817-7698) offers a great stainless steel air piston to be placed between the master cylinder and booster with all fittings for emergency disconnect and all and instructions on where to take the air from your MH air brakes for the towed. I used their system on my '88 Wrangler for 6 years and now just installed a new one on my '05 Wrangler. Only two hook-ups and NOTHING in the vehicle.

One more thing to consider when selecting a braking system. The metal of the vehicle brake pedal is designed for the easy pressure of your foot assisted by the booster. The pedal is not designed for the excessive pressure an electronic devise produces each time you apply MH brakes. Think of the excess pressure you have to apply when the ignition is off. How many repetitions will the pedal take before it fails?

Wrangler05
FMCA 245034
1996 Dynasty
wrangler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:28 AM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
How did you install yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler05 View Post
M&G Engineering of Athens, TX (1-800-817-7698) offers a great stainless steel air piston to be placed between the master cylinder and booster with all fittings for emergency disconnect and all and instructions on where to take the air from your MH air brakes for the towed.

I used their system on my '88 Wrangler for 6 years and now just installed a new one on my '05 Wrangler.
Wrangler,

The M&G system is the most tidy toad brake installation I've seen so far. The website recommends against DIY installation by the end user. Did you install yours? Have it done locally? In another post you mention Washington - I see dealers listed in the FAQ. Did you use one of them?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDave View Post
Have it done locally? In another post you mention Washington - I see dealers listed in the FAQ. Did you use one of them?
Here's a list of M&G dealers:
M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Dealer List
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The M&G system is one of the "slickest" systems I've seen. I researched the different braking systems for months before I settled on it. I've used it for about 3 years so far and wouldn't consider anything else.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In addition to criminal and non-criminal traffic laws. There is an entire body of law that most folks do not address on these forums. In fact two of them

Natural law (laws of nature) or in this case physics say that with all wheels braking ... You stop faster.. It's that simple.

Now this may, or may not, (in a panic situtation) make a difference but if you don't have brakes.. and you run into me.. Trust me.. You will find out about the other law

Civil liability.

Need I say more

I consider towing WITHOUT a working brake system on a trailer the size of a JEEP (Most anything bigger than a "Smart Car") to be reckless endangerment of whomever is in front of you.

So if you hit me... I'll sue.

On the other hand.. If you have brakes on the towed... Ok, you were not reckless

Let me tell you a true story

I'm heading west on the Cincinnati bypass. when a passing motorist tells me the back tire on my Bicycle is on fire (WHAT>?!?!) I pull off on an exit shoulder and do the walk around

The cross bar that the hitch receiver is welded to on the motor home is no longer connected to the chassis rails.. The only thing connecting the car to the motor home is a pair of stranded copper wires (Brake control wires) and as for the car.

It's right where it is supposed to be.

You might say I'm glad I had brakes.. Else the car would have rear ended .... ME.

System is the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator and frankly I think I have the "Gain" control set... .PERFECTLY
Old 01-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #49

Dave and Bob

I did the installation of the air braking system myself. I found it very simple if you especially pay attention to the adjustment phase. M&G give you good directions. On my '88 Wrangler nothing had to be moved. On my '05 I had to relocate the vacuum unit and IF I had Cruise control, that vacuum unit also might have to be relocated. But that is no big deal.

Wrangler05
Old 01-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #50

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee4me View Post

Obviously our driving and towing concern ourselves, but not exclusively; otherwise why bother to signal?
If you wish I can provide the section of MICHIGAN law which requires you to signal.

(You signal cause if you don't Officer hard anatomy part will write you a ticket, that's why you signal)

(ok, so it's one reason)

I see the original poster has made his final decision and it's to install a braking system.

As I, and others said, I went with the US-Gear system, after much research I came to feel it was best. I still feel that way.

Now.. I'v enothing against an M&G either. It won't fit on my car though.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Towing without trailer brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
How does this system work on "Power Brakes" when the key is off, and the vehicle's engine is not running?

Gripper
Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #52

That is a good question if the engine stops running will I have brakes I will check that out and let you know but I am sure it is just like any vehicle with hydrawlic brakes pluss we still have air parking brake.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #53

Brakes if engine stops while driving

Someone asked if they would have brakes if engine stopped while driving. We have been talking about the air brake system powered by MH with cylinder in towed. YES. You have the entire or almost entire air reserve to apply air brakes and that feeds towed. W/o engine running the tanks would not be replenished, but you would have several brake applications in reserve.

Wrangler05