Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Stay away from the ISX. Nothing but trouble. If I had a choice in engines it would be the Detroit 60. We have a the ISL in our Dynasty. I wouldn't describe it as underpowered but some extra torque would be nice. We tow 6200 lbs.
The ISX 2007 EPA model in the 650 hp version can be troublesome and to a lesser degree the 600 hp. The 525 version doesn't seem to have any trouble. Seems Cummins didn't do their due diligence in testing the higher HP versions.
Do a search on the Cummins forum for "ISX dropped valve in #6". You'll find some expensive reading there! Yes, "expensive" is the correct word.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #30

Yup, that happened to my 08 Signature buddy. Dropped a valve, $46 grand to repair, ouch!
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The ISX 2007 EPA model in the 650 hp version can be troublesome and to a lesser degree the 600 hp. The 525 version doesn't seem to have any trouble. Seems Cummins didn't do their due diligence in testing the higher HP versions.
Do a search on the Cummins forum for "ISX dropped valve in #6". You'll find some expensive reading there! Yes, "expensive" is the correct word.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #31

Reply to Winddeckeer

We are running a 500 HP Monaco Dynasty 45'. Can run all day at 65 and never break a sweat. We also run the generator the full time, towing a 2013 Ford Flex and still get around 7.5mpg.

2008 Monaco Dynasty 45'
2013 Ford Flex
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #32

So you have the somewhat rare Dynasty with the side isle and big engine correct?
I know I am right around 65 MPH at roughly 1550 RPM and 75 MPH at 1700 RPM, is that about right for yours also?
Thanks
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby49 View Post
We are running a 500 HP Monaco Dynasty 45'. Can run all day at 65 and never break a sweat. We also run the generator the full time, towing a 2013 Ford Flex and still get around 7.5mpg.

2008 Monaco Dynasty 45'
2013 Ford Flex
Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #33

It is the last year of the Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire floorplan prior to Monaco having financial trouble. The RPM is actually around 1250 at 65mph. We are looking to move to a new Entegra next month. Hope we aren't disappointed, as the Dynasty has unbelievable storage space up top.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #34

Well I have a deposit on a 05 Executive. I am excited about it. Has the Detroit 515 HP in it, I know nothing about the Detroit engine. I have been trying to stick with the ISM Cummins but people say the Detroit is good.
It is not to late if someone has contrary information!

Thanks everyone for the comments along the way.
Windecker
Old 02-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Well I have a deposit on a 05 Executive. I am excited about it. Has the Detroit 515 HP in it, I know nothing about the Detroit engine. I have been trying to stick with the ISM Cummins but people say the Detroit is good.

Windecker
We have an '04 SIG, 45' Castle IV, which is the biggest and heaviest one Monaco built. We have the Detroit 500 HP series 60 engine and now have 115,000+ miles on it. We have installed the "UGLY FIX" chip which supposedly gives as much as 75 hp and 1 mpg improvement. Indeed it does make a difference. I get about 6.2 mpg, towing a 5400 lb Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. On long 6% grades, we might drag the speed down to 50-55mph. Always pass the trucks and other coaches.

If I was you, I'd jump on the SIG. We love ours and fully expect to do 200,000+ miles before we even think of getting rid of it. It is a fantastic coach and engine.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Windecker, that's a great find! As long as everything else is suitable, the Detroit Series 60 engine is the cream of the crop. That's the same engine in the Prevost and most class 8 trucks. It has a reputation for good fuel mileage and great power. That was a very expensive option on that coach, so someone really cared enough to get the very best.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post

Windecker
"Detroit 515 HP" Good solid performing engine.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #38

Well thanks all.
We are trading our 1999 ISM 450 Signature for the 2005 Detroit 60 Executive.

I have had a wonderful experience with our Signature which is why we are sticking with the Monaco Motorhome.

I am not saying Monaco is the best RV out there but being an aircraft mechanic with a lot of inspection experience I can say that I am impressed generally with what it was Monaco was doing with the coach builds.

I still have some acceptance stuff to do with the Executive if anyone knows of specific issues to address.
I know about systems checks (Dash heat, Dash air, Aqua Hot, Roof air, Roof heat pumps, water leaks, generator operations, door seals, fogged windows, transmission burned fluid smell, overall corrosion of components, delamination, slide leaks and operations, Aladdin operations, Big Boy contacts, batteries for corrosion, solar for operations, smoke or hesitation from the engine, burned or decaying radiator, leaks of any type, tires, brakes, air bags for dry rot, tie rods for boot condition, evidence of service or lack of service to the grease fittings, drive shaft, filters, sealant on roof, seal around windscreen, strange smells inside and so on.

I don't know what to look for with regards to anything specific to the Detroit other than smoke, hesitation, oil leaks and so on...

It has the factory in motion DSS, collision avoidance and adaptive cruise. Anything I need to know about them?

Thanks again all, I am excited to be moving from 1 slide to a MUCH more modern 4 slide camper.
Windecker
Old 02-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations on your updating of coaches. We upgraded our in motion satellite because it was dated technology that worked but not well. I have the collision avoidance as well as the adaptive cruise and both work well and are nice features to have. You also want to look at the slide out toppers to see if the fabric is in decent condition as well as the slide out seals. Look at the bottom of the slides for showing of wear from use. Lastly look at the hydraulic hoses that run the slides for any signs of leaking. You can see them in the fuel bay and ahead of the rear end. Sounds like you have a good handle on what all to look for otherwise, hope all checks out for you.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #40

OK, looked at the coach in person today, drove it, ran it, checked as many things as I could in 4 hours which is the time that I had.

2005 Executive, paint is not as perfect as a typical Monaco. Not bad, just not as silky smooth and glossy as what I would have expected. I understand 2005 had some sort of checking issue. I did see some minor checking on the Red painted area. Not sure what to think about all that.

After we started the engine there was a warning, I think it said Tag Axle Brake or Tag axle air low, or something like that. They put it in gear, took it out, raised the axle, no good, warning beeping and flashing. They googled it, said to shut the engine off and restart which they did, alarm went away. Anyone know what that might be or mean?

Slide toppers were pretty good although one had a 2 inch tear at the back. Maybe it could be stitched up?
Main and window awnings all good.

3 of the 4 slide outs need slide out seals on the bottoms as was pointed out here. Again, NO idea what those cost, where to get them or if they are doable as a handy owner? My 1999 ones are like new still so not sure why a 2005 would be worn out...

Engine ran great, coach drove perfectly, solid from what I could tell.

BRAND new everything radiator and engine hoses. Having replaced my 1999 Signature radiator and hoses know exactly how much effort went into that. This one however has all new motor, housing, hoses, fan, blades, motor...everything new. I like that.

Cruise worked as did collision avoidance.

Aqua hot "squealed" which sounded like combustion blower bearings to me. Of course the bearings are $2.00 each but the motor and fuel pump are about $500.00 each if you shop for them. I have replaced my bearings and fuel pump on my 1999. Mechanic tried to tell me that this is a normal squeal.

It has all new batteries and a residential fridge. I checked the power panel before we drove it, battery gage said 100% We fired up the gen, checked every AC unit for proper cooling and fan operations and headed out for our roughly 45 minute drive.
When we got back we turned the engine and gen off, I crawled under the coach to check for corrosion, loose items, leaks, brakes, and so on. Got on the roof and checked the top so maybe 1 hour went by. Went back inside the coach and the battery meter was at 4 hours run time and 49% What? Something not right with that. 8 new deep cycle 6 volt batteries should go days right? Any thoughts?

Needs tires due to age and a hand full of other maintenance items but other than the above seemed solid.

Looking for general advice on those few things.
Thanks
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Windecker, that's a great find! As long as everything else is suitable, the Detroit Series 60 engine is the cream of the crop. That's the same engine in the Prevost and most class 8 trucks. It has a reputation for good fuel mileage and great power. That was a very expensive option on that coach, so someone really cared enough to get the very best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
"Detroit 515 HP" Good solid performing engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
Congratulations on your updating of coaches. We upgraded our in motion satellite because it was dated technology that worked but not well. I have the collision avoidance as well as the adaptive cruise and both work well and are nice features to have. You also want to look at the slide out toppers to see if the fabric is in decent condition as well as the slide out seals. Look at the bottom of the slides for showing of wear from use. Lastly look at the hydraulic hoses that run the slides for any signs of leaking. You can see them in the fuel bay and ahead of the rear end. Sounds like you have a good handle on what all to look for otherwise, hope all checks out for you.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I have 8 Lifeline batteries and although you think that is a lot, overnight is about all I will go without charging them, keeping them at 12 volts or better. Don't want to run below that very often as it is hard on the batteries and shortens their lifespan. That is using the coach with inverter on running household fridge and LED lights, AH, TV's etc. Now if all draws and inverter is off, much longer time, but still need to keep plugged in or batteries disconnected due to parasitic draws. All Monacos will show some checking in the paint in the darker areas if they have ever been out in the elements. I had my front slide out seals replaced, and had that done with some other upgrades by Elite RV restoration in Harrisburg, OR. Can't say how much it cost as I had other work done at that time and don't recall the breakdown. I had purchased new slideout toppers from Ston Vos in Florida (I'm in Nebraska, ordered them on the phone from Chris there, very knowledgeable) and had Elite install them. Mine were sagging and starting to have some stitching issues so it was time for them to go. Could the Aqua Hot squeal be from lack of use? I know bearings go bad, but if it had been sitting and not used for awhile maybe it would quiet down, just a thought. I've not had the tag axle air dilemma that you experienced ever, so can't comment on what was going on there, unless it has been sitting for some time and maybe an air valve was stuck and what you did reset it. I know that when I go to start my coach I turn the key to on and wait ( not for glow plugs or an engine preheat because my engine has neither) because you will hear all sorts of solenoids going through almost like a check out clicking and carrying on. Once that all settles down which is about the time frame of an engine preheat I start the coach. Maybe if they just hit the key to start right away without waiting, one of those solenoids didn't get situated before starting. Lastly, when I first got my coach 3-1/2 years ago, I didn't understand squat about the BigBoy solenoid and what all it does. I'm dam near an expert now, thanks to this forum. My coach would not charge the batteries while driving unless the generator was running, I thought that was the way it worked so just set the auto start and down the road we went. It charged when plugged in to shore power as well. Turns out my BigBoy was toast and once I replace it I was charging anytime I was driving or running the gen or on shore power. If you didn't check to see what the batteries were doing while the coach was running you could have been depleting the batteries like I was doing. Another good maintenance item would be to service the transmission once it's yours so you have peace of mind knowing that has been done. Sorry to be so long winded here, hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:11 AM   #42

Thanks, you bring up some great points.
Aquahot has 1100 hours on it, not likely sitting much.

Great point about the relays and such, the sales person started it without me watching so I have no idea. Actually he started the generator without telling me also which upset me. I wanted to personally observe each engines cycle so to speak at start up.

The battery thing leaves me confused. I checked here before heading down the road of residential fridge and was told no problem getting 2-3 days out of the batteries while dry camping (which I do A LOT).

I figured I would add some solar panels to help out but don't want to fear needing to run the gen 24-7 to get through a weekend.

Thanks for the help!
Windecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
I have 8 Lifeline batteries and although you think that is a lot, overnight is about all I will go without charging them, keeping them at 12 volts or better. Don't want to run below that very often as it is hard on the batteries and shortens their lifespan. That is using the coach with inverter on running household fridge and LED lights, AH, TV's etc. Now if all draws and inverter is off, much longer time, but still need to keep plugged in or batteries disconnected due to parasitic draws. All Monacos will show some checking in the paint in the darker areas if they have ever been out in the elements. I had my front slide out seals replaced, and had that done with some other upgrades by Elite RV restoration in Harrisburg, OR. Can't say how much it cost as I had other work done at that time and don't recall the breakdown. I had purchased new slideout toppers from Ston Vos in Florida (I'm in Nebraska, ordered them on the phone from Chris there, very knowledgeable) and had Elite install them. Mine were sagging and starting to have some stitching issues so it was time for them to go. Could the Aqua Hot squeal be from lack of use? I know bearings go bad, but if it had been sitting and not used for awhile maybe it would quiet down, just a thought. I've not had the tag axle air dilemma that you experienced ever, so can't comment on what was going on there, unless it has been sitting for some time and maybe an air valve was stuck and what you did reset it. I know that when I go to start my coach I turn the key to on and wait ( not for glow plugs or an engine preheat because my engine has neither) because you will hear all sorts of solenoids going through almost like a check out clicking and carrying on. Once that all settles down which is about the time frame of an engine preheat I start the coach. Maybe if they just hit the key to start right away without waiting, one of those solenoids didn't get situated before starting. Lastly, when I first got my coach 3-1/2 years ago, I didn't understand squat about the BigBoy solenoid and what all it does. I'm dam near an expert now, thanks to this forum. My coach would not charge the batteries while driving unless the generator was running, I thought that was the way it worked so just set the auto start and down the road we went. It charged when plugged in to shore power as well. Turns out my BigBoy was toast and once I replace it I was charging anytime I was driving or running the gen or on shore power. If you didn't check to see what the batteries were doing while the coach was running you could have been depleting the batteries like I was doing. Another good maintenance item would be to service the transmission once it's yours so you have peace of mind knowing that has been done. Sorry to be so long winded here, hope this helps.