Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Trailer Brake Controller wiring

I am trying to hook up a Tekonsha "Prodigy 2" brake controller to my 2001 HR Endeavor. The instructions say to hook the red wire to the cold side of the brake switch. No problem, except, I can't even see the brake switch. It's behind, (I'm sure) the brake pedal which is mounted to a steel frame and is not visible, (air Brakes). Can someone steer me in the right direction to find the wires coming from the switch?
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #2

On our '05 Endeavor the brake light signal is a negative (ground) signal. In order to use it for a trailer brake a relay has to be installed with +12 to one side of the coil and the negative from the foot valve to other side of the coil. When the brake switch is operating it will operate the relay. Put +12 v. to the normally open contacts of the relay and out to the brake controller for a +12v signal.

The switch is outside the dash under the foot pedal. You can see it when you pull out the genny.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhome2 View Post
On our '05 Endeavor the brake light signal is a negative (ground) signal. In order to use it for a trailer brake a relay has to be installed with +12 to one side of the coil and the negative from the foot valve to other side of the coil. When the brake switch is operating it will operate the relay. Put +12 v. to the normally open contacts of the relay and out to the brake controller for a +12v signal.

The switch is outside the dash under the foot pedal. You can see it when you pull out the genny.
Thanks for answering. Pulling the genny out is a task in itself. Have to take the front of the coach off. Maybe if I crawl under the coach "again" I will be able to at least see the wires coming from the switch.
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fisher View Post
Thanks for answering. Pulling the genny out is a task in itself. Have to take the front of the coach off. Maybe if I crawl under the coach "again" I will be able to at least see the wires coming from the switch.
The switch on my Dynasty is pictured, it is located behind the brake pedals on the outside (above genny), red wire is to my trailer controller:

I did end up putting a large diode on the original black wire between it and the terminal, so that current only flows into the black wire from the pressure switch. I did this because my hazard lights would charge that black wire (stupid design IMO) and cause the controller to activate.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fisher View Post

I am trying to hook up a Tekonsha "Prodigy 2" brake controller to my 2001 HR Endeavor. The instructions say to hook the red wire to the cold side of the brake switch. No problem, except, I can't even see the brake switch. It's behind, (I'm sure) the brake pedal which is mounted to a steel frame and is not visible, (air Brakes). Can someone steer me in the right direction to find the wires coming from the switch?
I did all of my own electric brake controller wiring on my 2002 Windsor with help from Rex Darley (RIP).

The wire you are looking for is located coming out of the Monaco #2 box in your FRB (front run bay). It is a white wire in the GREY plug and it is the second wire from the right, top row. That plug uses only 6 wires. See second photo - wire with blue tap.

However, this is a negative signal wire so you have to tap into this wire and install a relay to change the signal to a positive one. See attached PDF file.

Also see the three photos of the added relay.

The balance if the wiring for the Prodigy is fairly straight forward.

Any questions shoot them my way.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray Plug-01.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	137059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray Plug-02.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	137060  

Name:	Prodigy Brake Relay-01.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	137064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prodigy Brake Relay-02.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	137065  

Name:	Prodigy Brake Relay-03.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	137066  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Unified Tow Brake Controller Brake Signal.pdf (174.6 KB, 43 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, wiring