RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 12
Trailer brake controller wiring.

I'm trying to install an electric trailer brake controller and I'm looking for the "cold" side of the brake light switch. The blue wire terminates at the plug, the red wire seems to be hot all the time so that makes me think the black wire would be the cold side. Problem is when I step on the brake I don't get anything at the black wire.
Am I missing something here?
04 HR Imperial.
Thanks for your help,
Chris Click image for larger version

Name:	20180719_172722.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	211600
__________________

__________________
Safe Travels
2004 HR Imperial
CnM 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
mccrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 426
Your on the wrong track Monaco breaks the ground to trigger a relay that makes the brake light hot. You can find the brake wire in the electric bay under the drivers feet trouble is it will be hot when the exhaust brake is on overheating your trailer brakes on a long down grade. Search drfilm in the search box he has a diagram of how to wire it up
__________________

__________________
Bob & Elaine McClelland and the spoiled pup Izzie
2008 Monaco Diplomat
Desert Hills & Parker Az
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:14 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
Your on the wrong track Monaco breaks the ground to trigger a relay that makes the brake light hot. You can find the brake wire in the electric bay under the drivers feet trouble is it will be hot when the exhaust brake is on overheating your trailer brakes on a long down grade. Search drfilm in the search box he has a diagram of how to wire it up

Bob is correct. I used a small relay to convert the ground to a hot wire signal. This can be done with any 12V, hot all the time wire. When the brake is used the hobbs switch connects the grounds. Use the dead side of the hobbs switch and when the brakes are used it send a ground signal to the extra relay completing the circuit and you now have 12V for the brake controller.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Blairsville, GA & WPB, FL
Posts: 676
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
On my 04 Dynasty I gave up mounting the brake controller in the dash area because I never found the 4 spare wires at the back... not until a year later after mounting the brake controller in the back where you have everything you need, making for a simple installation. Once adjusted you rarely have to change the gain/voltage it puts out.

You can remove fuse #1(exh brake) on the board with 3 fuses in the center of the board in the front run box so your brake lights do not come on until you actually use your brakes
__________________
04 Dynasty 42’ Sold after 14 great years.
My ”New” ride...08 HR Navigator 45’
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
Bob is correct. I used a small relay to convert the ground to a hot wire signal. This can be done with any 12V, hot all the time wire. When the brake is used the hobbs switch connects the grounds. Use the dead side of the hobbs switch and when the brakes are used it send a ground signal to the extra relay completing the circuit and you now have 12V for the brake controller.
Thank you BigLar, I understand what you are saying. Is the Hobbs switch you mention the one in my picture that's attached to the top of the brake cylinder?
Chris
__________________
Safe Travels
2004 HR Imperial
CnM 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 12
So if I use this wiring diagram and think of the brake pedal switch as the horn button this should work correct? Do you think a 15 amp fuse will be sufficient?
Thank you all again for the help.
Chris Click image for larger version

Name:	20180720_140929.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	211709
__________________
Safe Travels
2004 HR Imperial
CnM 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnM 59 View Post
So if I use this wiring diagram and think of the brake pedal switch as the horn button this should work correct? Do you think a 15 amp fuse will be sufficient?
Thank you all again for the help.
Chris Attachment 211709

The diagram you posted would work. The ground signal would come from the dead side of the Hobbs switch so when the brakes are depressed it would send a ground signal to the relay to transfer 12V positive to your controller. As for your original pic both of my Hobbs switches are two wire only and all the wires are black. You can get in there with a test light and have someone push the brakes to see what you have. You might get lucky and find a 12V positive switched off the Hobbs switch. I see three wires and one is red. All these RV's are different.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
The diagram you posted would work. The ground signal would come from the dead side of the Hobbs switch so when the brakes are depressed it would send a ground signal to the relay to transfer 12V positive to your controller. As for your original pic both of my Hobbs switches are two wire only and all the wires are black. You can get in there with a test light and have someone push the brakes to see what you have. You might get lucky and find a 12V positive switched off the Hobbs switch. I see three wires and one is red. All these RV's are different.
My red wire at the Hobbs switch seems to be always hot so I'm wondering if I can tap off of that to use as my positive to the relay. Use the ground signal from the black wire (dead side) to the relay. Sounds like how the system is wired for the brake lights. Lol. I'll get this figured out eventually. Think I should run a new positive or use the positive on the Hobbs switch?
__________________
Safe Travels
2004 HR Imperial
CnM 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 501
I ran a new wire since there is a major fuse outlet in the compartment on the drivers side in front of the wheel. You can use fuse rider to tap into fuse panel.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
vito.a's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,555
I ran the +12v from a "Spare" position in the front run bay. I ran the wire out the upper corner of the front run bay and over up through the floor next to the steering shaft.
The hardest part of this was running the trailer brake wire from the drivers area to the trailer hitch. It took us a long afternoon to run the wire up through the center of the chassis.

Trailer Brake Control Prewire? 2004 Signature http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/trailer-brake-control-prewire-2004-signature-366077.html

__________________
97 Monaco Windsor- Sold
07 Monaco Executive McKinley- Sold
04 Monaco Signature Chateau IV
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
I ran a new wire since there is a major fuse outlet in the compartment on the drivers side in front of the wheel. You can use fuse rider to tap into fuse panel.
I ran a new positive wire from the fuse box and this is how I wired the relay. My problem is its backwards from what I need. Seems I have a ground at the Hobbs switch all the time until the pedal is depressed. Like Bob said in the beginning, Monaco breaks the ground to activate the lights. What do I need to change to make this work?
Thank you all.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180724_203217.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	212292
__________________
Safe Travels
2004 HR Imperial
CnM 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 501
The 85 Pin should only contact ground when you depress the brake pedal. Hook up your test light to a 12V source and check which wire is grounded coming from the hobbs switch when the brake is depressed. Basically 85 pin will be a dead wire until you depress the brake pedal sending a ground signal to the relay letting it close and make contact sending 12V.
__________________

BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brake, trailer, wiring



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric brake controller vs. Electric over hydraulic brake controller Appy Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 1 08-23-2017 11:21 AM
location fuses for trailer tow package and of wiring for trailer brake controller gcessac Monaco Owner's Forum 2 05-26-2016 11:55 PM
trailer wiring and brake controller csp Monaco Owner's Forum 2 10-14-2009 08:28 PM
Monaco trailer wiring and brake controller csp Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 3 10-14-2009 08:27 PM
wiring an electric trailer brake controller Gary N. Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 3 08-18-2008 05:53 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.