Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Trans says 3 qts low

I just replaced the filters and fluid in my Allison transmission the book says it will take 19 quarts to refill. I put 19 back in but the shift control says 3 low is it more likely the sensor is off or the manual is off

2002 monaco windsor 4" deep pan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
When you drop the pan on an automatic transmission, MOST all the fluid from the transmission will come out, except for the fluid in the chambers and channels in the transmission. Problem is, it doesn't touch the fluid stored in the torque converter. That's a big 'tank' of fluid that doesn't drain when you drain the transmission. In a transmission where you are changing fluid types, the fluid has to be drained, filled with the new fluid, run a bit to dilute the old fluid mixed in from the converter, then drained and filled again.

Did you measure how much fluid you drained from the transmission? I suspect if you just put in the listed capacity of 19 quarts you seriously over-filled the transmission.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby124 View Post
I just replaced the filters and fluid in my Allison transmission the book says it will take 19 quarts to refill. I put 19 back in but the shift control says 3 low is it more likely the sensor is off or the manual is off

Was it at operating temp? Sometimes you have to wait for fluid to drain back after driving. Mine can show 3 then 2 then 1 then ok

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA U60 Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #4

Quote:

Allison says believe the sensor. I would take a short drive and make sure it's up to temp & has been through the gears a few times. Also level up before checking. If it still says 3 low, add 2 & check again after a day's travel.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #5

I got 19 quarts when I drained the fluid and filters I poured it into gallon containers. it was at temp when I checked it but did not let it set very long also I checked it while it was running is that correct.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I got 19 quarts when I drained the fluid and filters I poured it into gallon containers. it was at temp when I checked it but did not let it set very long also I checked it while it was running is that correct.
Typically instructions say to shift into each gear, including reverse, to make sure fluid has filled every passage. It's not unusual for it to initially say, "three quarts low" but that should change at the engine warms up and you move it through the gears.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Early last year I had road debris take out my radiator. When Cummins repaired it they had to disconnect the transmission hoses from the cooler, loosing oil. I assume the put some back in, I was billed for 1 gallon of Transynd.

After driving home ~45 miles I checked the level and it showed 4 quarts low. I added 2 quarts and drove it again parking in a level parking lot. It then showed OK.

Trust the sensor but add 2 quarts first then check again.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #8

I found reference in my manual ensure tranny temp is at least 140 degrees, engine running, level.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 08-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
A few years ago I decided to make the switch to Transyd oil. My transmission readout said that my transmission was full. I drained the transmission and removed the old filters. I captured 19 quarts of oil. I installed the new filters and poured in 19 quarts of new oil. The transmission readout said that it was 4 quarts low! I added 2 quarts and it said it was full! It has reported OK ever since.

Go figure!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #10

Quote:

Yes, it should be running. The display will start a countdown depending on how long it has been in neutral. Typically it will take a couple of minutes to complete the count down with a number flashing for a few seconds and then changing to the next lower number.

It will then flash o/ l/ o/ k over and over. Or o/ l/ l/ 3 for low 3 qts. Or o/ l/ h/ 2 for 2 qts high.

This value will repeat until you exit the check.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #11

Steve is right on. I usually level the motorhome first then wait five minutes before I take a reading.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #12

Tell me if I'm wrong , don't you want to be
on level ground instead of leveling the moho ?

Ray D

Steve is right on. I usually level the motorhome first then wait five minutes before I take a reading.

RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I might have missed it BUT are you sure that the Tranny WAS full when you drained and measure the used oil, or could it have been 3 QTS. low to begin with?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Tell me if I'm wrong , don't you want to be
on level ground instead of leveling the moho ?

Ray D

Level ground certainly works but if you aren't parked level then leveling the coach is fine. The transmission, which is rigidly attached to the chassis, will level right along with the rest of the coach. I check mine many times waiting in line to pull up to a pump at a truck stop.