Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,365
Transmission ECM location

2008 HR Endeavor

Where is the ECM for the tranny located?

I am having some crazy indications on the shifter. I thought the leveling system was messing with the neutral sense wire etc.

With the jack module disconnected it still does not work.

The jack display panel is going bonkers as if there is an emergency retract of the jacks going on.

This problem seems to be getting deeper as I check things out.
__________________

__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 364
If it is the same as my 2008 Monaco Dynasty, it is in the 2nd bay. You will needto remove the top panel from the ceiling of the bay.
__________________

__________________
Russ & Lois Bell
2008 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire IV
2013 Ford Flex
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,365
Thanks Arby.

Found it. I have been looking at it for years and just forgot.

It is located below the driver in the outside compartment. It is mounted on the right. Easy to get to to pour the water out of it.

How it has water inside is any ones guess. Bit my guess is the severe humidity here in Florida and lack of use of the rv did not get the tcm module warm enough to chase it off.

When I pulled the plug off I thought AH HA, I can fix this. Plenty of the green stuff so I got to work and it is now not operating at all.

Brought it inside to do some research and found water dripping from the plug area.

Ok, moving it about allowed the water inside to short more things out.

Anyone know how to open this critter up? Not likely.

I need a replacement so any help on that would be appreciated.
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
RustyTools's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,361
That was heartbreaking to read, Myron. Doesn't sound good, sorry to say.

I haven't even attempted to open my salt-soaked ECM's to look, but any chance some time under a hair-dryer on low will chase the moisture? Or are the traces etched away too?
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
RustyTools's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,361
Oh, and if you do end up looking for a replacement unit at a salvage yard, make sure it's NOT from a certain 2006 HR Endeavor 40-PAQ!!

It kills me that the entire coach looks pristine, until you get to anything under the floor... that's where the troubles start.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Captjake1's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Where I happen to land
Posts: 2,066
Yikes! No bueno on that one!
I found this one...maybe?
http://www.ecmking.com/allisontransmissionecm.html
__________________
John and Debi
2008 Beaver Contessa, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
28 years retired Fire Captain Tales of the Muttley Crew
Captjake1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,365
Thanks everyone.

I am going to try to get a new one tomorrow. This one had the strangest gel inside. I have been in electronics for almost 50 years and have taken apart all kinds of stuff.

The gel was almost dripping but not quite. There were tiny hair wire jumpers that had shorted together.

At least I found I am not totally crazy as the symptoms kept changing a bit.

The dash transmission temp guage would go from H to L and swing back, the shifter panel mode light would stay on, the shift panel would show ##.

At one point after disconnecting the hydraulic jack system it began working perfect.

It also acted like it was going in and out of gear for awhile. The digital readout on my Medallion system then showed the transmission was at -1 degrees, then it would blank out.

Yep, pol-ter-Geese. That is plural. Many gremlins.

Now it says communications failure and will not even turn over.

Oh yeah, the check engine light came on a few times.

I need to find out if a new module will be plug and play or will I have to have it programmed.

I am hoping a new one will be the resolution. The plug took a good hit but I am hoping I was able to clean it up ok. It could be a real pain cutting it loose and replacing it.

Thanks again for the help.
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
nodine's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Thanks everyone.

I am going to try to get a new one tomorrow. This one had the strangest gel inside. I have been in electronics for almost 50 years and have taken apart all kinds of stuff.

The gel was almost dripping but not quite. There were tiny hair wire jumpers that had shorted together.

At least I found I am not totally crazy as the symptoms kept changing a bit.

The dash transmission temp guage would go from H to L and swing back, the shifter panel mode light would stay on, the shift panel would show ##.

At one point after disconnecting the hydraulic jack system it began working perfect.

It also acted like it was going in and out of gear for awhile. The digital readout on my Medallion system then showed the transmission was at -1 degrees, then it would blank out.

Yep, pol-ter-Geese. That is plural. Many gremlins.

Now it says communications failure and will not even turn over.

Oh yeah, the check engine light came on a few times.

I need to find out if a new module will be plug and play or will I have to have it programmed.

I am hoping a new one will be the resolution. The plug took a good hit but I am hoping I was able to clean it up ok. It could be a real pain cutting it loose and replacing it.

Thanks again for the help.
Myron,

Before you purchase a new one buy a 10 lb bag of rice and put the unit in the middle for about a week and try it again.

Bob
__________________
Bob, Pam, and Wheatens Buffy and Bo
2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
2007 Ford SportTrac
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab (will setup for toad soon)
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,365
Thanks Bob, I owned a telecommunications repair company and am aware of the rice repair. However this thing was obviously beyond repair.

I opened the critter up and found some strange gel like coating that I have never seen in 40 + years or doing repairs. The thin wires that connect the pins to the circuit board were no longer contained in the gel and were easily shorted together. Really strange and I thought I have seen just about everything.

We were supposed to go to Ft Wilderness at Disney World today.

I found an Allison dealer nearby and was at their door at opening time. The Service Manager reminded me of me many years ago. He did some questioning of the symptoms and was surprised when I told him the TCM caused the jacks to retract.

Other symptoms were it would kick into gear and then out by itself.

It took them 30 minutes to hand me a shiny new module. They could not read the old one of course. They said I might need to drive the RV in to have any "options" programmed into it.

Back home by 9 AM, colder than heck here in Florida. I actually had to dig out a coat. Then the $1000 module popped right in place.

With some apprehension I turned the key and things lit up correctly. Then the real moment of truth .

We are now at Ft Wilderness. There was some shifts that were a bit rough but as it relearned new habits things smoothed out nicely.

As we drove the short distance to the Fort I smelled electrical failure. Oh heck, We left the coffee pot plugged in and the modified sine wave converter converted carbon into smoke.
Oh well, the RV ran like a top and the leveling system works just like it should now.

Wow, that was a really tough one for this old tech but I had fun as I learned even more about these complex monsters.

Thanks again to everyone that responded. This is such a great forum and getting help from here is just beyond priceless.

At Mickey land right now. Cold beer and proud of my achievement .....
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
RustyTools's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,361
So very glad you chased those gremlins out . Now, go enjoy yourself!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
RobRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Thanks Bob, I owned a telecommunications repair company and am aware of the rice repair. However this thing was obviously beyond repair.

I opened the critter up and found some strange gel like coating that I have never seen in 40 + years or doing repairs. The thin wires that connect the pins to the circuit board were no longer contained in the gel and were easily shorted together. Really strange and I thought I have seen just about everything.

We were supposed to go to Ft Wilderness at Disney World today.

I found an Allison dealer nearby and was at their door at opening time. The Service Manager reminded me of me many years ago. He did some questioning of the symptoms and was surprised when I told him the TCM caused the jacks to retract.

Other symptoms were it would kick into gear and then out by itself.

It took them 30 minutes to hand me a shiny new module. They could not read the old one of course. They said I might need to drive the RV in to have any "options" programmed into it.

Back home by 9 AM, colder than heck here in Florida. I actually had to dig out a coat. Then the $1000 module popped right in place.

With some apprehension I turned the key and things lit up correctly. Then the real moment of truth .

We are now at Ft Wilderness. There was some shifts that were a bit rough but as it relearned new habits things smoothed out nicely.

As we drove the short distance to the Fort I smelled electrical failure. Oh heck, We left the coffee pot plugged in and the modified sine wave converter converted carbon into smoke.
Oh well, the RV ran like a top and the leveling system works just like it should now.

Wow, that was a really tough one for this old tech but I had fun as I learned even more about these complex monsters.

Thanks again to everyone that responded. This is such a great forum and getting help from here is just beyond priceless.

At Mickey land right now. Cold beer and proud of my achievement .....
Thanks for sharing
__________________
2004 HR Navagator 500 ISM
RobRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,522
That front run bay under the driver is notorious for leaks. I fought with this for a few years and finally the boys at Elite in Oregon readjusted my latches. No more leaks. make sure you have a drain hole. You should also check all your computer boards in that bay for water damage.
__________________
Moisheh
2008 Dynasty 42' Diamond IV
1988 Bluebird PT38
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #13
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
That front run bay under the driver is notorious for leaks. I fought with this for a few years and finally the boys at Elite in Oregon readjusted my latches. No more leaks. make sure you have a drain hole. You should also check all your computer boards in that bay for water damage.

There is no sign of water entry at all. I am going to look at the cabling closely to see if it followed that. Mounting the TCM sideways will prevent any intrusion now.

I have been through torrential rain storms and never a drop in there.

I'm thinking it was condensation build up. The hole where the cables pass through into the space next to the driver has been compromised by me and years of modifications. That is, the black expanding foam was dug out a bit.

We have had nothing but rain and humidity for months here in Florida and not enough travel to heat the module up and chase any moisture off.

There is no sign of water leaks in the area next to the driver. During all of this I have been replacing the carpet and beneath the drivers feet area the wood looks great.

Water entry is amazing and so many customers would ask me how their (device) got wet. Sorry sir, I was not at the seen of the accident.

Look what a small flow of water has done to the Grand Canyon.

In any case, we had a blast today just going to one of the resorts for some special food and treats. The Halloween decorations are incredible around the campground. Folks have gone all out. It should be a hoot on Halloween.
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:21 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
nodine's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 3,141
Myron,

Glad you got it fixed and can enjoy Mickey Land. A few years back we had a fancy portable electric heater with electronic controls and an LCD display. That was before the RV garage and we would leave the heater on inside the motorhome during winter. One January I did not think about the heater being plugged in and prepared for our trip south to Florida. Of course when I unplugged the shore power the inverter came on and the heater was toast. FYI, we have a Keurig coffee pot that does not die with the inverter, but it draws a bunch of current when heating the water. That will often overload our puny 2000 watt inverter so we use the generator or shore power to make coffee. At least it survives if we forget to unplug it before breaking camp.

Bob
__________________

__________________
Bob, Pam, and Wheatens Buffy and Bo
2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
2007 Ford SportTrac
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab (will setup for toad soon)
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cat, ecm, transmission



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Location of Electronic Control Module (ECM) rudyblue Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 20 07-31-2014 05:05 AM
Location of ecm port palehorse89 Newmar Owner's Forum 7 12-04-2011 03:24 PM
1990 Chieftian ECM location ddwillis Vintage RV's 0 11-15-2009 05:48 PM
ECM 1990 Winnebago location ddwillis Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 0 11-11-2009 02:04 PM
ECM location on XC chassis wagonmaster2 Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 4 08-23-2006 12:41 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.