Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Transmission Service

The Allison manual talks about 100% TranSynd filled transmissions and mixes of fluids. Do we know if Monaco fills them with 100% TranSynd? I bought a used 2005 with 27,500 miles. I don't see any maintenance that has been logged for the transmission so I'm thinking about changing filters and fluid. Is this easy for a rookie to get to and work on or should I take it to a shop?

Does anyone use the AmSoil Torque-Drive or should one stick with TranSynd?
If I do it myself where can one procure TranSynd for a good price?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do we know if Monaco fills them with 100% TranSynd?

Yes it is TranSynd in your Allison and it should have a tag on the dip stick with TranSynd on it. Monaco started putting TranSynd in the Allison trans in I think in 03. Stick with TranSynd and a easy do it your self job, Filter Kit
#29548988 Hi Cap filter.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
A 2005 should be filled with 100% Transynd from the factory. Transynd is clear (amber) and you should be able to see it on the dipstick. Also, there should be a tag wired to the top of the engine that states it is Transynd.

There are different change intervals for MHs verses over-the-road trucks. There are two different filter kits a large capacity and a regular capacity. You want the larger capacity. The larger capacity is the only one currently made. Some dealers may have the old regular capacity still in stock. The first change interval differs based on the original filter. (see below)

Fluid/Filter Change Intervals: Service: Allison Transmission

The above reference is for severe use, I could not find the normal use, it extends the interval. You can have the fluid tested which is a good idea if you are not changing it. Transynd is widely available, it is made by Castrol.

You can do it yourself buts it's not expensive to have a dealer do it, you do not save that much by doing it yourself. Stick with Transynd and and there will be no problem with your remaining warranty.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
The Allison manual talks about 100% TranSynd filled transmissions and mixes of fluids. Do we know if Monaco fills them with 100% TranSynd? I bought a used 2005 with 27,500 miles. I don't see any maintenance that has been logged for the transmission so I'm thinking about changing filters and fluid. Is this easy for a rookie to get to and work on or should I take it to a shop?

Does anyone use the AmSoil Torque-Drive or should one stick with TranSynd?
If I do it myself where can one procure TranSynd for a good price?
TranSynd was in my new 07 Diplomat when I picked it up. I check on the Monaco web site for recalls or updates and found out that 1 of the filters on my trans had to be changed at 5k miles. I had it done at an Allision service center in Anaheim CA and asked what they recommend and the tech said only 1 word and that was TranSynd period. There were 2 main reasons, 1-it is the best quality and it is what Allison recommends, and #2 the service cycle's are set based on the transmission having tranSynd.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #5

Grand Design Owners Club
Thanks. I guess I'll start looking for the best price on TranSynd.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I searched high & low at all the discount auto parts stores with no luck.
Called 2 GM dealers - both said they use Dextron Vl for the Allison tran on the Duramax.

Used the Allison Guide book in the coach and call the number for this zone of MI and received a qoute of $30.00 a gal at one Allison cert dealer and
one of $58.00 gal! Shop around at a Allison approved parts dealer. I was out the door for $31.80 with tax with a sealed Gallon on Transynd
Old 11-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When I had the fluid changed in my MDT the Allison Distributor charged $28/gal for TRANSYND, course he also did the work.
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
After we bought out 04 HR Imperial I noticed that there was a 5k initial filter change. When we had it done the tech advised me that the fill pipe had a lot of "junk" in it. When you remove the filter if you can see the bottom of the fill pipe you should check to make sure that it is clear. Adding fluid thru a junked up pipe could cause problems later.
The Transynd in it now has almost 60k on it and is still looking and running great. Never have had to add fluid.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #9

Stay away from the Amsoil product. In spite of what an Amsoil dealer may say their oil is not approved by Allison!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I completed the 5000 mile spin on filter change on a 09 Safari with the Allison 1000 MH 6sp trans. Chassis build date July 08. Fluid in the filter and on the disc magnet was a Cherry Red in color. The gallon jug of Transynd obtained from Allison Parts Dealer (Oct 09)was the same Cherry Red color. Replaced apppox 8 to 10 oz . If you can change oil on a car then You can easily do this job.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pic of TranSynd Fluid Gallon Jug and 16 oz of Cherry Red colored Fluid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TranSynd Red DSC04345.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1932