Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #1

Can anyone inform me about any personal experienes with the change over from conventional fluid to the Allison Transynd transmission fluid? I have heard that this fluid is exceptionally good for the Allison unit. I believe I have a MD 3060 in my 1997 Monaco Dynasty. It just turned 70,000 miles.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #2

Can anyone inform me about any personal experienes with the change over from conventional fluid to the Allison Transynd transmission fluid? I have heard that this fluid is exceptionally good for the Allison unit. I believe I have a MD 3060 in my 1997 Monaco Dynasty. It just turned 70,000 miles.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #3

It's good stuff, but as I understand it, it takes two changes to completely convert to it. I'm not convinced that it's worth the cost for me vs using Dexron III type fluid and changing it every two years with the new high capacity filters that Allison sells. I get mine from Inland Truck Parts in Texas. I looked into changing over and didn't think it was worth it given where I go on trips and the weight that I carry and tow. If you do a lot of trips in the mountains, carry a heavy load in your coach and pull a heavy toad it would be worth considering despite the cost.

I have a copy of the Allison Transmission Maintenance guide, but I don't know whether it can be posted here.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's good stuff, but as I understand it, it takes two changes to completely convert to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Food for thought. I will inquire more about this.

Thanks.

P.S. I spoke with a friend who made the switch over and he expressed that he felt no noticable difference in the shifts of his Allison unit. I would have to believe that since it is synthetic (I believe) that due to viscosity (less), the shifts would be softer due to less line pressure. I would actually like my unit to shift more firmer. I am still a little confused as to wheather to make the change or not. All the reads indicate that it is the right thing to do for the life and mechanical well being of the unit.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #5

Well here is an update to the transmission fluid change on my allison MD 3060 unit. I went ahead and made a purchase of a 5 gallon pail of Transynd fluid and a one gallon container as well for a total of 24 qts. I can attest to the fact that this transynd fluid is very costly and I knew someone who worked there as well. The pail break down costs 29.65 per each gallon and that one extra gallon costs me 43.00 . The 5 gal. pail is a great discount but I didn't need 10 gallons. I read as much info as I could before the purchase and I looked at this situation as an investment in my 1997 Monaco. The interval change is about 3 to 1 over the dextron III. For every 3 times you would change the dextron, this transynd fluid just once. I also bought the allison filter kit as well, about 45.00. I was going to do this change myself although I figured it might be easier just to pay Detroit diesel allison to do this for me. Soo I asked the service manager if he would mind me bringing back the fluid and filters for them to do the change (not a problem). They stuck an ameture on my rv and by the time he was done he was wearing about half of that original dextron on himself. He decided to put an empty 5gal pail on a short ladder to catch the original fluid, this was going on while I was talking shop with the forman which had to excuse his employee and himself in front of me while his employee was taking a bath in my original fluid, right in front of our eyes. 3.5 hrs later and I was out the door. I could have done this change in about 1hr. myself.

I absolutely noticed a difference in the shifts. The shifts were nice and fast and sharp with no slight occasional flare as before hand. The unit seemed like it was brand new again. I am not going to say that this would happen to all because I just don't know, but I noticed a difference and I am glad I made the change over. I am also confident that after reading that I did the right thing as well. This transynd fluid is standard and used in all the new allison transmissions in all rvs and trucks.

Well thats my experience.

P.S. I wound up changing the oil and filter myself on my 10K Onan. I used a Wix filter on that and 15-40 Rotella.

I'm not new to the mechnical end and I own an engine shop and have been build racing engines for just about 26 years now. I was also an A technician years ago for GM, Chrysler and Toyota.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy M:

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The biggest payoff may be that Allison will extend your warranty to 5yrs (2004 and newer) if you are running Transynd