Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #29

Must be something wrong with your installation. I have had my Tru-Center operating for over two years and the difference is remarkable. Heavy wind ..push the button rv goes straight. Tilted road .. push the button, same thing. I have not noted any extra effort required to steer the rig. I am much less tired at the end of a driving day than before the center.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Does the Safe-T-Plus have more "holding" power in case of a front tire blow-out? I notice there seems to be a size difference between the TruCenter and the Safe-T-Plus. I do notice some turning resistance on the Safe-T-Plus. When going down a straight road with it adjusted I can take both hands off of the steering wheel. Of course I do have 8 Koni shocks, Roadmaster Chrome Moly anti sway bars front and rear. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #31

The TruCenter comes in two strengths, 160 and 270 pounds of centering power. For a MH you want the 270 pound strength.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #32
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The TruCenter got another workout today. Blew like heck through New Mexico. Even in gusty wind, you can set it to take up the bulk of the wind and then steer through the gusts.

The Samsung has been flawless. It did some sweating in New Orleans where it was about 95% humidity. Had ice cream this evening and it was as hard as a rock. Had to microwave it on a couple of occasions so I could spoon it out. The hardest part has been trying to break the old habit of rushing to get stuff out before I lost too much cooing in the Norcold.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:47 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
The TruCenter got another workout today. Blew like heck through New Mexico. Even in gusty wind, you can set it to take up the bulk of the wind and then steer through the gusts.

The Samsung has been flawless. It did some sweating in New Orleans where it was about 95% humidity. Had ice cream this evening and it was as hard as a rock. Had to microwave it on a couple of occasions so I could spoon it out. The hardest part has been trying to break the old habit of rushing to get stuff out before I lost too much cooing in the Norcold.
Don, turn off the ice maker and wait about 8 hours and the ice cream will be much softer. Dr4Film (Richard) discovered that when the ice maker is on the freezer goes into a super freeze state but the lower temp does not show up on the temp display.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 AM   #34

After having the howard steering system on our previous 2 coaches I didn't think I could find another system that was comparable. we traded in our 02 beaver santiam rr8r chassis, koni fsd's and sway bars. that rig handled great. we now have a 06 beaver patriot thunder tag. after purchase we drove the coach aprox 4,000 mi and decided to try the tru center system.
Wow! I do believe the tru center is as good or better than my old howard system. the response time to changes seem quicker. love the system. we also installed the tyron bands along with 315 xza michlins. other than the koni's I think I've went as far as we can.

jim

ps. Don, hello to a fellow 13 rzr owner!
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
After having the howard steering system on our previous 2 coaches I didn't think I could find another system that was comparable. we traded in our 02 beaver santiam rr8r chassis, koni fsd's and sway bars. that rig handled great. we now have a 06 beaver patriot thunder tag. after purchase we drove the coach aprox 4,000 mi and decided to try the tru center system.
Wow! I do believe the tru center is as good or better than my old howard system. the response time to changes seem quicker. love the system. we also installed the tyron bands along with 315 xza michlins. other than the koni's I think I've went as far as we can.

jim

ps. Don, hello to a fellow 13 rzr owner!
Jim,

Good to hear from you and congrats on the new to you coach. Another member here (I think John F) recently added the Roadmaster sway bar on the front only on his tag axle Camelot and reported good results. You might keep that in mind. Guess you are headed to Florida about now.

Bob
Old 10-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #36

Hey Bob, nice to here from you! we just arrived 2 days ago. didn't know about the front sway bar for an s chassis but thanks! maybe there is Just one more thing! lol

jim
Old 10-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
Hey Bob, nice to here from you! we just arrived 2 days ago. didn't know about the front sway bar for an s chassis but thanks! maybe there is Just one more thing! lol

jim
Jim,

To be sure call Scott or Jim at Source Engineering on the sway bar. They will know.

Bob
Old 10-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #38

got it. bob did you ever hear that testimonial I sent them? its on there web site or at least it was, pretty funny! ps. it was after our first ride after the install of the sway bars.

jim
Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Dr4Film,
Yes, installing a momentary floor switch (Linemaster 491-S, from many suppliers) is a definite benefit. I did such and can activate the PacBrake without having the trans selecting gear 2. It is great when descending a smaller hill. Just select the gear you want and feather the pedal as needed to slow you down.

This is the same one Monaco used when they installed floor switches.

They are available with or without mounting tabs. Mine, as well as the Monaco supplied switch, does not have the mounting tabs. They do have a knobby bottom to keep it in place on the carpet. I built an carpeted angle foot rest for my left foot and it doesn't move around, but can be easily repositioned.

Linemaster 491-S

Another source

My apologies for posting on this thread. I was just trying to answer Dr4Film's question.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #40

Well I was very happy with my TruCenter up until the solenoid quit working.

... And before folks start saying "... Did you have the newer model?" Yes. I had researched the problems with early versions of the TruCenter and made sure I had one of the latest versions available at the time. The build date of mine is 0912 (Sept. 2012).

The last time we had the motorhome out I noticed when I pushed the adjustment button, nothing would happen. Still had steering dampening, but could not adjust for side winds, etc.

When I got home I had the wife push the adj button while I got down close to the front wheel to listen. Instead of the distinctive "Clunk-clunk" of the solenoid, all I could hear was a slight hum.

I pull the unit off and bench tested it. Sure enough, just a hum. No solenoid activation.

Called Blue Ox this morning. They are sending me a Prepaid FedEx label so I can return the unit for repair. Repair Should be covered under warranty, but there was no indication how long it will be before I get it back. I can't imagine more than a week or so.

I'll be really interested to know why it failed.

I really love my TruCenter when it's working, but I'm concerned that maybe they haven't got all the solenoid issues resolved.

I'll post here when I find out the cause if the failure.

BB
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post

Dr4Film,
Yes, installing a momentary floor switch (Linemaster 491-S, from many suppliers) is a definite benefit. I did such and can activate the PacBrake without having the trans selecting gear 2. It is great when descending a smaller hill. Just select the gear you want and feather the pedal as needed to slow you down.

Linemaster 491-S

Another source

My apologies for posting on this thread. I was just trying to answer Dr4Film's question.
Happycarz,

Sorry for the confusion.

I am not planning to use the foot switch for my Pacbrake. I want to use it for my recent TruCenter installation.

I actually found a momentary foot switch at Amazon which is made by Linemaster that will work fine for my application. I have ordered one and it should arrive this week.

Linemaster T-91-S Treadlite II Foot Switch, Electrical, Single Pedal, Momentary, SPDT, No Guard, Black: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post

Well I was very happy with my TruCenter up until the solenoid quit working.

... And before folks start saying "... Did you have the newer model?" Yes. I had researched the problems with early versions of the TruCenter and made sure I had one of the latest versions available at the time. The build date of mine is 0912 (Sept. 2012).

The last time we had the motorhome out I noticed when I pushed the adjustment button, nothing would happen. Still had steering dampening, but could not adjust for side winds, etc.

When I got home I had the wife push the adj button while I got down close to the front wheel to listen. Instead of the distinctive "Clunk-clunk" of the solenoid, all I could hear was a slight hum.

I pull the unit off and bench tested it. Sure enough, just a hum. No solenoid activation.

Called Blue Ox this morning. They are sending me a Prepaid FedEx label so I can return the unit for repair. Repair Should be covered under warranty, but there was no indication how long it will be before I get it back. I can't imagine more than a week or so.

I'll be really interested to know why it failed.

I really love my TruCenter when it's working, but I'm concerned that maybe they haven't got all the solenoid issues resolved.

I'll post here when I find out the cause if the failure.

BB
I spoke with a Blue Ox Technical representative who was tending their vendor booth at the recent California RV Show in Pomona regarding all of the horror stories that I had read on various RV forums about the TruCenter.

He was not aware of any major defects or concerns with water intrusion or solenoid problems. He stated that the solenoid cover was sealed and that it should not have ANY water inside.

Let us know what Blue Ox has to say about your solenoid problem. I am very interested.

Is it possible that some users are sitting on the switch too long possibly causing premature failure or burnout?

Copied from the installation instructions.

CAUTION:
THE SWITCH ACTIVATES A SOLENOID THAT, IF ACTIVATED TOO LONG, CAUSES PERMANENT DAMAGE TO THE SOLENOID. THE TIMER RELAY IS PROPERLY SET AT THE FACTORY. ALTERING STANDARD FACTORY SETTING WILL CAUSE IMPROPER FUNCTION OF TRUCENTER AND/OR
PERMANENT DAMAGE TO THE SOLENOID.

Although a timer relay is installed to protect the solenoid, we recommend NOT activating the solenoid for periods longer than 5 to 10 seconds at a time. It is better to make multiple, fine adjustments than to hold the switch and try to align in one, time-consuming operation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install