Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

Trying to run 2 / 15amp space heaters on 2009 Monaco question?

I have not been able to find but ONE 20 amp circuit in my MH. I am aware that there are 2 120v legs coming into the MH and I have tripped the breaker on the inverter several times trying to find a way to do this. So here is the question.....Are there any two 120v outlets inside this MH that are on separate legs on the 50a main service? If so where the heck are they lol...??? I know that I can "run" one into the bay and attach it at the main service transfer switch and I think that the washer dryer (separates) are on two different legs but does anyone know where one is that is already in existence that is not running through the inverter breaker?

Thanks so much for all of your help! Love this Camelot a big bunch!
RicSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to look at your service panel and see if there are separate outlets on different legs, or at least I can on my panel.

My suggestion is to try different outlets to see if you can identify which ones are on separate legs.

As a last resort you could run a separate extension cord from the post in through the basement up into the coach to run a different heater and bypass your service panel altogether.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #3

I am sure that there are two separate 20A circuits in your coach.

do all your outlets run thru the inverter ? what size is your inverter?

to find out turn off your inverter then check for outlets that still work.
if so plug in your heater into one of these outlets then go to your main panel start shutting off breakers until you find what circuit that outlet is on

leave that one off and then start checking for another outlet that still works if you find one then that is another circuit.
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #4

Have you thought about running the Oil Bath Radiator type heaters, they are safer and do not have the amp draw.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

Ok turn off the ac at the pedestal turn on the inverter check your outlets some will be dead. Then turn off the inverter and turn the pedestal back on hook up one heater to the dead outlet on the inverter the other to the outlet that’s hot on the 110 and now your on both legs and good to go
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Me thinks your problem is drawing too many amps on your inverter (overloading it). Try your intended use on the generator.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #7

DO NOT TRY TO RUN SPACE HEATERS ON YOUR INVERTER! Your batteries are not able to carry that much load thru an inverter. Fifteen amps at 120 volts will draw over 150 amps from your batteries. They won't be able to do that for even a few minutes, if that, before the terminal voltage on the batteries will drop sufficiently to trip the inverter off-line.

Large loads like space heaters require shore power or running the generator to be able to be used, effectively. NEVER try to run those without 120VAC available from shore power or your generator.

I can't say how your AC is distributed. Our '06 Dynasty has two 120 VAC breakers in the inverter fed load center. Many coaches have two 120 VAC breakers on the back or side of the inverters, in lieu of a load center.

The two incoming lines are nothing more than the two primary legs that feed your coach from a 50 amp source on the pedestal, if available, or a split feed from a single 30 amp breaker source on the pedestal. (Note that if you have a 50 amp feed, there is actually 240 VAC across those two 120 VAC circuits.) It is true that those two lines likely ultimately feed the two 120 volt outlet circuits in your coach with one leg going to each of the two load circuits. Whether the two 120 VAC breakers are in a load center or on your inverter depends upon the design of the electrical system in your particular coach.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #8

Could be the inverter pass through capacity. Even though you are connected to 50a your inverter may only be able to pass 30 amps to inverter outlets. Check your inverter specs.
I added another breaker to my main breaker box which is fed directly from the 50 amp power to run a second heater if necessary.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #9

I put a dual plug at the washer/dryer and plug one 1500w heater in there and leave one up front near drivers seat running on the existing power supplied. I have run a 10 gauge extension cord thru the slide out before fully extending and plug into the 20 amp receptacle on the service. Never have a problem when done either way.
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I shouldn’t respond since I don’t own a Monaco, but on my Tiffin the outlets on each side of the coach were on different 15a breakers. If I plugged two heaters on the same side of coach it would trip the breaker. When on outlets that were served by different breakers I had no issues.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #11

MY 05 knight has a dedicated circuit for the microwave , we have used from time to time for additional heating needs .

I Have had to reset inverter push button reset even on shore with inverter off , I believe the resets are part of the smart ems system that manages gen/50amp/30amp load
scottknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicSteel View Post
I have not been able to find but ONE 20 amp circuit in my MH. I am aware that there are 2 120v legs coming into the MH and I have tripped the breaker on the inverter several times trying to find a way to do this. So here is the question.....Are there any two 120v outlets inside this MH that are on separate legs on the 50a main service? If so where the heck are they lol...??? I know that I can "run" one into the bay and attach it at the main service transfer switch and I think that the washer dryer (separates) are on two different legs but does anyone know where one is that is already in existence that is not running through the inverter breaker?

Thanks so much for all of your help! Love this Camelot a big bunch!
You do have at least 2- 15 amps circuits in your coach. Probably more. And probably 2- 20 amp circuits. And yes, some can be in your main panel and some can be thru the inverter. All will be in the same panel box. Some have split buss panels. All coaches are wired different. Do Not try to run heaters thru the inverter. It will wipe out the battery's fast.

A/C's will be on 20 amps each. Micro-Wave might be on 20 amps. Most circuits will be 15 amps. Read your panel schedules.

your main panel has 2 50 amps for a main breakers. The panel is split in 1/2. If two A/c's there will be 2- 20 amp breakers. 1 on each 50 amp leg.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have a heater up by the front door, plugged in to the outlet near the steps that's hard to get to under the dash LOL... and my second heater is plugged into the bedroom (I have 50amp coach). They are both on different circuits and blow toward middle of the coach. My house heat only comes on if it's below 25F.

Have not had any issues with blowing breakers, however I do watch the Aladdin for excessive loads on one leg. The electric side of aqua hot and the microwave are both on same leg, so if I'm cooking dinner I may or may not shut off the heater that's on the same circuit, or the electric side of AH to keep it from spiking too high.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:14 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like you got some good ideas, hopefully enough to 'warm your heart' now.
It's more of a project than just finding the right existing outlets, but you might consider running a couple new wires and outlets off your existing air conditioner lines. They're strong enough, and you probably won't be using the AC units and space heaters at the same time, anyways.

Tags
ace, heat, heater, monaco