Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Turn Signals Light Up When Brake Pedal Is Pushed

Just pulling my ’02 Diplomat out of its long winter slumber and my DW noticed that when I push on the brake pedal my amber turn signals light up as well. I double checked and sure enough I found that when I put on the brakes the audible “turn signal chime” in the cockpit pauses until I let up on the brake pedal and both rear amber turn lights go on. To complicate my trouble shooting I noticed that although both turn lights go on each side as requested will flash while the brake pedal is pushed. So do I have a short-to-ground at the bulb (water perhaps?) or is my problem more likely up front at the relay, fuse or brake switch at the pedal? The more I thought about it the more confused I became. Do I have a brake light circuit short or is the problem in the turn signal path. I appreciate any help I can get…
MarkinOR
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #2

I'd blame a poor ground at the tail light assembly , probably corroded over the winter, if the power going through the brake light bulbs can't get to ground , it'll back up through every bulb in the assembly till it finds what it's looking for.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #3

I would check your bulbs. If good I would check any diode box you have for trailor lights. If good the problem may be in the wiring or your turn switch.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You didn't change any of your bulbs to LED lights did you?
Do the front and rear turn signal lights come on when the brake is depressed or just the rear?
I have the chassis and house schamtic for my 2001 diplomat 38A which should be the same as your if you want a copy I can email it to you.
Safe travels
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Found it!

Short ended up being in the wire loom along side the steering column. Looks like condensation caused a short across a wire from the turn signal/clock spring circuit that is factory-cut for rigs with amber turn signal lenses. The wiring diagram in my owners manual was somewhat helpful but I had to have a magnifying glass the size of the Hubble to see the lines. Thanks to everyone's suggestions, it gave me a starting point
Old 05-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you want your wiring diagram that you can blow up on your computer is be happy to email you a copy.
If you message me your email I'll send it to you. It's really helpful.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake