Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
TV antenna up light

This light is located on the dash and does NOT illuminate when the antenna is up (and key on). The owners manual speaks of this system as though it were standard equipment so I assume it's there.
Question: What operates the system, a micro-switch? Where would such a switch be located?

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Hal if you have it on your coach, you will need to look at the crank-up off-air antenna. There will be a small box attached to the shaft with a wire running to it. This is the switch and I would assume it is a mercury switch. If it is there then perhaps the bulb is burned out.

Rex Darley 01 Diplomat PBD

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hal.....as Rex said it's attached to the crank up Winegard attenna. On mine, it's a small blue switch (box) about 1" x 3/8". On my model it has a ball bearing that rolls in the box when the antenna is up. You'll have to go on the roof to check it's operation. It should be the only wires that are external to the antenna. The switch is a Monaco feature and not part of the Winegard antenna.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the info. Looks like a trip to the "high country" later today now that I know what to look for.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #5

Mine also has a 'antenna up' warning light but let me just add this tidbit....I'm sitting in a campground and I just saw a Winnebago Sightseer leave the grounds with the antenna up. I was sitting inside my RV and wasn't anything I could do to stop the guy and let him know since he was a little distance away and picking up speed as he hit the 'main' road in the campground. I already feel for him knowing he may be facing a problem later this day and isn't even aware of it. I immediately got up and walked over and hung my RV keys on the TV antenna crank!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They do not make it any more far as I can tell but I have a "Stop Sign" (Octoganal card) with ANTENNA UP on it and a clip.

If the antenna is down it's cliped to the ring (Turning knob) on the antenna

When I crank up the antenna I have to move it since it's in the way of the crank.. It goes on the steering wheel.

However that said: I can make a 2 or 2.5" diamater circular "Sign"/button, if you added a clothspin, you'd have much the same effect... (Any Badge-a-minute person can do it for you no need to get it from me) I think I will design the graphic soon though.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Went "on top" and took things apart but found nothing that could/would control the dash light. Appears this system is NOT a standard item as the owners manual would have you believe...
We've used a "remove before flight" red ribbon hanging from the crank since purchase...
Old 06-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #8

Mine is just the opposite. The light stays on until I start the engine when the antenna is down. It goes off after engine starting even if the antenna is up.
Jeff35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hello - on mine it is a two piece device: a reed switch with two wires going to it and a magnet. When the magnet is close to the switch, it closes the switch and the light will come on.

In my case the adhesive on the magnet gave up and the magnet fell out of place. I found a replacement at Radio Shack but just about any magnet will do

Alan
02 Windsor 40 PKD