Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #1

TV/inverter

I just tried to watch tv with the inverter for the first time. I have no power at the front at all. No tv, satellite, dish, etc. it works fine with the generator running. All the breakers in the bedroom are fine. What am I missing??

Thank you
Boatdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 12:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdoctor View Post
I just tried to watch tv with the inverter for the first time. I have no power at the front at all. No tv, satellite, dish, etc. it works fine with the generator running. All the breakers in the bedroom are fine. What am I missing??

Thank you
Sounds like the circuit your TV and other equipment is connected to is not on the inverter. That is kind of strange as those are the types of items most people want on the inverter. It could be that someone revamped the entertainment system and just used the wrong plug. In many coaches the TV runs off of an outlet that shuts off when the ignition is on...this may not be connected to the inverter. Find the breaker that kills the TV, and you'll probably discover it's not on the inverter panel, but the non-inverter panel. Usually you can buy a breaker that is the same size as the existing breakers in the inverter panel, but has two breakers instead of one. This will allow you to move the TV feeder to an inverter fed circuit. If this electrical stuff is beyond your comfort zone, an electrician can do this quite easily...easy peasy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What year diplomat do you have? Those outlets are always on the inverter. Did you turn ON the inverter? Those electrical sockets will work when on the generator or shore power is on, no matter if the inverter is on or off. If the inverter is on and no power to the front electrical socket. I'd have your inverter checked out.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
What year diplomat do you have? Those outlets are always on the inverter. Did you turn ON the inverter? Those electrical sockets will work when on the generator or shore power is on, no matter if the inverter is on or off. If the inverter is on and no power to the front electrical socket. I'd have your inverter checked out.
x2
Make sure the inverter is on and the breakers on the front of the inverter are not tripped.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
You might check your GFI if you have one.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well..... You might be missing... An inverter.. Not all RVs have them and on the ones that do they are often "Optional" which means yours might not even though an identical unit does.. Mine for example had that as an OPTION. I went with after market.

Also.. Your inverter (If you have it) eats battery power. if the house batteries are disconnected.. it might be as well.

Finally there may be a 2nd breaker box. but here is a quesiton:

Do the TV's work on SHORE power? If so its not a breaker issue.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #7

Thank you for all the replies. (Even the ones asking if I had one or turned it on. )

D M wins the prize. It was the GFI in the bathroom. However, it trips when the tv is turned on. After 2 tries, it stayed on for about 5 minutes then tripped again??
Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #8

Heartland RV Club
Sounds like the GFI needs replacing. The will weaken over time.

Wiley
Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Man View Post
Sounds like the GFI needs replacing. The will weaken over time.

Wiley
That's what I was wondering. I'll give that a try. Thanks
Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Thank you for all the replies. (Even the ones asking if I had one or turned it on. )

D M wins the prize. It was the GFI in the bathroom. However, it trips when the tv is turned on. After 2 tries, it stayed on for about 5 minutes then tripped again??
This may be way out in left field ; but ; check ALL the outlets downstream from the GFI, before you replace it.
A friend's Diplomat , the fridge 110v was through the bathroom GFI, and the trip was due to ice build up at the ice maker in the Norcold fridge.
But , it is odd that problem is only on inverter.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
This may be way out in left field ; but ; check ALL the outlets downstream from the GFI, before you replace it.
A friend's Diplomat , the fridge 110v was through the bathroom GFI, and the trip was due to ice build up at the ice maker in the Norcold fridge.
But , it is odd that problem is only on inverter.
Good idea. Weird thing is, I desert camp all the time. I never use the inverter because it takes the batteries down so fast. Everything works flawlessly with the generator. You would think that if the GFI was bad, it would be bad no matter how it is supplied with power.... who knows... lol
Old 03-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Good idea. Weird thing is, I desert camp all the time. I never use the inverter because it takes the batteries down so fast. Everything works flawlessly with the generator. You would think that if the GFI was bad, it would be bad no matter how it is supplied with power.... who knows... lol
A GFCI works by measuring the current flow on the hot wire vs the neutral, an imbalance and it will trip. So maybe somehow when you are on the inverter the power is in a imbalanced state. I'll have to ask my sparky friends if they have ever had this happen.
Lee0920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #13

Here is my update. I bought a new GFCI outlet and installed it last night. So far it is working and has not tripped.
Thanks for all the replies.

Tags
inverter