Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
On the roof at the front cap are two whip antenna. One over the driver is thick rubber looking and the one in the center is metal and coiled near the center. Both are about 12 inches long. The question is which one is for the CB and which is the radio?

Also, I was under the impression that the frig could be ran from the inverter but that does not appear to be the case. When I turn on the inverter with no shore power or gen set the frig says LP. Shouldn't you be able to run the frig off the inverter?

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On the roof at the front cap are two whip antenna. One over the driver is thick rubber looking and the one in the center is metal and coiled near the center. Both are about 12 inches long. The question is which one is for the CB and which is the radio?

Also, I was under the impression that the frig could be ran from the inverter but that does not appear to be the case. When I turn on the inverter with no shore power or gen set the frig says LP. Shouldn't you be able to run the frig off the inverter?

Bob
Old 12-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, I was under the impression that the frig could be ran from the inverter but that does not appear to be the case. When I turn on the inverter with no shore power or gen set the frig says LP. Shouldn't you be able to run the frig off the inverter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can honestly say that is one thing We haven't checked...My electrical drawing of the rig shows 2 110 receptacles at the frig location with the ice maker not on inverter and the fridge being on an inverter circuit..
Maybe you have the fridge control set to auto and would have to force it to go to electric..I do know that electric is default, then LP when elect is not avaliable.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The ice maker is connected to the inverter not the frig.
That way you can make ice going down the road.
The ice maker is only 110.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The ice maker is connected to the inverter not the frig.
That way you can make ice going down the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ahhhh, says the blind man...That explains it,,,For those frozen Margaritas as you go down lifes highways...
Thanks rvtips...
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvtips:
The ice maker is connected to the inverter not the frig.
That way you can make ice going down the road.
The ice maker is only 110. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is all well and good but I would rather have the frig working than the ice maker. I have a suspicion that the LP does not work well on the highway because of a low pressure being created at the frig vent by the wind. It should not be to difficult to swap the plugs on the frig and the ice maker to give things a try.

So no one has a clue about the antenna? I have a guess but is just that a guess and would like to hear from an experienced soul who knows.

Thanks for the help on the frig.

Bob
Old 12-23-2007, 03:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

I would expect that the rubber antenna is for the radio and the metal antenna, in the center of the roof, is for the CB.

The reason that refrigerators are not wired for the inverter is power draw. The very rough rule of thumb that I use is ...it takes 10 amps of DC power to be inverted to produce 1 amp of AC power. An 8 amp heater for the fridge could be an 80 amp per hour DC draw on your batteries. Not a good idea. My '01 Dip is factory wired for the inverter to power the ice maker only.

I have been running frig's on propane for over 20 years and not noticed any problems going down the road. I would think that the additional air being pulled over the coils enhances the cooling effect.

Green lights and soft breezes,
Old 12-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
nodine,

Like Roland, I have never felt a need to use the fridge with the inverter as it as always worked fine on propane on both my previous coach and now the Dip. I just set it on "Auto" and it's always cold. The inverter recepticle behind my fridge is clearly marked "Ice Maker".

I've wondered about which antenna is which as well. I suspect Roland is right, but I'll be watching also for confirmation.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The rubber whip is for the dash radio, the metal one is for the CB.
wilpower is offline   Reply With Quote