Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #1

Two tires blow in less than 500 miles

We are finally full timers as of two weeks ago today.
Made it from Erie Pa to Moses Lake Wa going the long way so about 2500 miles. Got to my sons house and unloaded the RV of a lot of his belongings and that lightened us up big time. Took off for Joseph Oregon and a big bulge came out on the passenger side outside tire. Bought a new tire and had it installed and had a wonderful time there. Coming back to Moses, we had a blowout, same side only inside tire. Rats! That gets spendy. My tire monitor did not indicate any problem leading up to blowout. Goodyear tires with about 10k on them. Does this sort of thing happen a lot? 245/70r/19.5
Very lucky with the timing but makes me a little jittery about mountain passes.
oldernewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #2

What was the date code on those tires? That will tell a lot of the story.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #3

older, good you caught the 1st tire..your encounter with the inner tire should make ALL the tire pressure monitor lovers take notice...they can't detect ALL tires failures(as some of them think they will)
if your tires are not "aged out"...I'd suspect whatever made the bubble in the outer...damaged the inner at the same time...(ie" large pot hole, severe curb job, road obstruction that was run over, etc etc)
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldernewby View Post
Made it from Erie Pa to Moses Lake Wa going the long way so about 2500 miles. Got to my sons house and unloaded the RV of a lot of his belongings and that lightened us up big time. Took off for Joseph Oregon and a big bulge came out on the passenger side outside tire. Bought a new tire and had it installed and had a wonderful time there. Coming back to Moses, we had a blowout, same side only inside tire. Rats! That gets spendy. My tire monitor did not indicate any problem leading up to blowout. Goodyear tires with about 10k on them. Does this sort of thing happen a lot? 245/70r/19.5
If the tires are over 5 years old they can have internal failure that can't be viewed from the outside. Most folks never wear out motorhome tires as they age out first. When tires pass the 5 year mark I replace them. You can tell how old the tire is by the Federal date code on the sidewall. When you purchase new tires check the date code before you pay for them. Tires can sit in the warehouse for a long time if they are a slow moving size.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #5

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldernewby View Post
Few bits of information not included in your post would help us offer possible cause.
1. What is your actual load on each corner of the RV before you lightened up? After?
2. What cold inflation do you set/check each morning of travel F/R?
3. Did you happen to get a picture of the "bulge"?
4. Did you actually loose air during either problem?
5. Do you know if new valve or valve O-rings have ever been installed?

Observations: Since you said "outside" passenger tire that was a rear tire which would be the most likely to have damage from running over a curb or other object as you turned right hand corners.
If the "bulge" was more of a tall and narrow bulge running radially from near the rim to the upper sidewall looking like this
or a bit wider, it was most likely an impact and a body cord was broken.

If however it was circumferential in shape like this shot
it was most likely a detachment of the sidewall rubber from the body.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
If the tires are over 5 years old they can have internal failure that can't be viewed from the outside. Most folks never wear out motorhome tires as they age out first. When tires pass the 5 year mark I replace them. You can tell how old the tire is by the Federal date code on the sidewall. When you purchase new tires check the date code before you pay for them. Tires can sit in the warehouse for a long time if they are a slow moving size.

Bob
5 years is a little absurd for replacing tires... when a major manufacturer recommends 10yrs. Nobody has been able to provide statistical proof that a 1yr old tire is any less prone to blow outs than a 5yr old or greater one. Alot of posters are taking coincidence and trying to make a fact.
Age alone isnt a factor. Tires dont know their age... they know pressure, temperature, and UV exposure.
Also I have a hard time believing distributors are sitting on huge stock piles of RV tires with stale date codes.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #7

Thanks folks for your input. You gave me some pointers to look at and for. Glad you people are out there so that a newby can get some help. Thanks again.
Con
oldernewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Commercial Member

Check out my blog. 99% tires & related info. You might want to start at the beginning RV Tire Safety: An introduction to this blog and Roger Marble
and work your way through the posts as they build on your knowledge. Don't try to read em all in one sitting. Just get a feel for the info available so you can come back in the future when you have a question. You can subscribe to the blog too.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
..your encounter with the inner tire should make ALL the tire pressure monitor lovers take notice...they can't detect ALL tires failures(as some of them think they will)
Good point. Just as seat belts can't prevent serious injury in all accidents.

There are no absolutes or guarantees but I'll continue to use both for whatever margin of safety the do provide.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
5 years is a little absurd for replacing tires... when a major manufacturer recommends 10yrs. Nobody has been able to provide statistical proof that a 1yr old tire is any less prone to blow outs than a 5yr old or greater one. Alot of posters are taking coincidence and trying to make a fact.
Age alone isnt a factor. Tires dont know their age... they know pressure, temperature, and UV exposure.
Also I have a hard time believing distributors are sitting on huge stock piles of RV tires with stale date codes.
Your money, your coach. I have had a 4.5 year old tire blow and I always check the air pressure. I prefer to play on the conservative side when it comes to my wife and two dogs. To many sad tells of motorhomes hitting trees, bridges, etc, because of a front tire failure.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Your money, your coach. I have had a 4.5 year old tire blow and I always check the air pressure. I prefer to play on the conservative side when it comes to my wife and two dogs. To many sad tells of motorhomes hitting trees, bridges, etc, because of a front tire failure.

Bob
well... why not take all the risk out of RVing and keep it parked in your yard?
have you ever experienced a tire failure at speed?? I have... on a tire that was less than 2yrs old. And I religiously check my pressures too.
If you are basing your choice on "fear" alone... that just seems foolish to me. But like you said... your money & coach.

Now what would you say if someone decided to use your 5yr old tires on their coach?
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
To many sad tells of motorhomes hitting trees, bridges, etc, because of a front tire failure.
Did they watch and use the Michelin video on what to do when a blow out happens?

Quote:
When tires pass the 5 year mark I replace them.
Quote:
I have had a 4.5 year old tire blow
Looks like you need to replace them at 4 years.
Or buy a different brand.

I go for the 10 year replacement. I did have a rear blow out at a little over 4 years and a front at 6 years. Doing what the Michelin video taught. I had a straight and no problem controlling the MH with the front blow out.

But I no long will ever buy the Michelin XRV tire.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires