Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tyron Question

I had posted this on a different thread however, I was hoping to get some additional discussion.

I have researced the Tyron Band and I believe it to be a valuable safety item. I have no argument about the effectiveness of the Tyron product however, I resent the apparent overcharging. Be prepared to pay $1000 for each wheel and to have to go to an authorized RV dealer for the installation. I spoke to the North American Distributor and it was clear that there would be no negotiation on the price or the fact that in his mind only an authorized RV dealer could install the product. I am also curious as to how I can put a new tire on, after the inevitable blow out, when I am 400 miles from the nearest authorized Tyron dealer and no one is authorized to remove the Tyron band?

I also found it very interesting that the Tyron product is actively marketed throughout Europe (It is manufactured in England). The prices ( from an internet search) are about 75 - 80% less installed and it is sold as being able to be installed at any local truck tire dealer. I guess the local truck tire dealers in Europe are smarter than their American counterparts.

Just thoughts.

jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not knowing what a Tyron was until I read this post a quick Google of them showed this at their site and while it can be used up to tire size 22.5 about three quarters down the linked FAQ it says not to use them on RV's

JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
John,
I reviewed your link. Runflat tires are not recommended for RV. The Tyron product is used on up to 22.5 wheels. The tyron is a metal band that is tightened around the wheel which prevents the tire from coming off the rim in case of a blow out. This theoretically will allow you better control.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Monaco Owners Club
jsabatinos......A Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Captain (retired) and another gentlemen initially brought the Tyron product to the U.S. for sale from England. They began demonstrating the product here in California with the their HQ in Burbank California. The retired Captain, an old boss of mine, recruited me to assist in the demo of the Tyron bands here in Southern California. I'm a Bomb Tech for the L.A.County Sheriff and I set up the demos by grinding the side wall of a new tire and then patched/glued a blasting cap to the sidewall. The blasting cap was initiated with military time fuse that can actually be calculated down to seconds.

The first demo was at the L.A.City Fire Department HQ in their parking lot. The demo consisted of driving a vehicle past the news cameras and have the tire blow at about 70 miles per hour. We were able to calculate the fuse time and the tire blow in front of the cameras. I did this a few more times for them. They later sold several thousand units to our Department. They were used for a few years, but I haven't seen them around for awhile.

How they are installed.......Your rim has a deep groove/well in the center of the rim. The only way to remove your tire is to drop one bead into that deep groove while you remove the bead. If you didn't have that deep well, you could never mount or dismount a tire. The Tyron band is just a band of steel with a bolt holding it together. Once the tire is installed, you have to push down on both beads and insert the band around the groove in the rim. There is a bolt that you tighten that clamps the band to the rim. Once tightened, you inflate the tire as usual.

How they work.....As stated before, you can't mount or dismount a tire without allowing the bead of the tire to fall into the deep groove. Consequently, when you have a flat, the tire will never come off of the rim with the band in place. During the demonstrations, we would blow the tire and then the founder of the company would drive like a maniac on the flat tire. After awhile, the tire would begin to disintegrate, but the beads would stay on the rim, still giving you some control and protection to the rim.

Basically, the Tyron Band will guarantee that the tire won't come off the rim, but you'll still have a blowout and will have to control it. When they sold to our Department many years ago, they were $300-$400 a set. I know that they pushed hard into the high end car market and they were getting about $900.00 a set. I'm guessing you meant $1000.00 for a set, not each.....that would be a little ridiculous for a band of steel. I know if I had to, I could remove and replace one on the road.

PM me for a phone number if you need more info.

jsabatinos.....I see you posted on another site also....I see that they are asking a $1000.00 each......yikes!
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I was sold a set of these for my MH from a dealer in Tucson at a total cost of $1400.00. When I had to replace my front tires it turned out that the Tyron system had not been installed, I did get my money back.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsabatinos View Post
John,
I reviewed your link. Runflat tires are not recommended for RV.
That's odd because my screen when the link is clicked show's
Quote:
Runflat tires are not manufactured for every type of vehicle, and CANNOT be used on vans, trucks, or RV's. Tyron can be fitted to almost any wheel from 10" to 22.5"
I'm sure it's most likely centered around high center of gravity, but on the same token how many 22.5 tires do you see on smaller vehicles.

I'd be the last person to suggest you not run them if that is what you'd like to have on your coach.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Diplomat Don,
Yes, $1000 each or $1995 for the two fronts. This is the issue, and the fact that only "authorized RV dealers" are permitted to install this.

It seems that many are being upsold this at the time of original purchase and rolling into the financing. I recall many products that use the same plan at auto dealers ( the universe of finish and interior protectants) that are marked up hndreds of percents. My son was involved with selling cars and told me that many of the products were marked up 5 to 15 times the actual cost. This enabled the sales staff to "deal" on the cost of the product. In the end it really did not matter to the buyer as after all it was rolled into the monthly payment.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have Friends that just bought a new 2011 Diplomat at the Quartzsite show from Mac Mans RV. With there purchase they included the Tryron that cost $1400, so I guess the price must very. They are having trouble with the dealer and Monaco about getting things serviced, it seems that neither have the will or maybe resources to to take care of there customer after the sale. So sad.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mike -- To bad they didn`t stay a "SOB" -- Bill Willard
Old 03-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'd be the last person to suggest you not run them if that is what you'd like to have on your coach.
I think you and jsabatinos are talking about two different things. Your link compares run-flat tires (special tires that are designed to be drivable even when not inflated) with the Tyron bands (a device designed to prevent a tire from falling off the wheel if it goes flat.)

The portion of the comparison that you quoted says that run-flat tires are not applicable for RVs, but that doesn't matter because jsabatinos is not looking for run-flat tires. What he wants to do is use the Tyron band (which is available for RVs) in conjunction with his existing tires.

He's not looking to put on run-flat tires, and installing a Tyron band does not convert regular tires to be run-flat tires, so I don't see a cause for your concern.
Buffalo, NY
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post

He's not looking to put on run-flat tires, and installing a Tyron band does not convert regular tires to be run-flat tires, so I don't see a cause for your concern.
I have no concern about his running these bands, the link I provided was from Tyron and was comparing the bands against run flat tires. Now that being said I stand corrected because I misinterpreted what I read

Quote:
Runflat tires are not manufactured for every type of vehicle, and CANNOT be used on vans, trucks, or RV's. Tyron can be fitted to almost any wheel from 10" to 22.5"
That was a correct quote but as you made me now realize Tyron was comparing their produce against the run flat tire.

Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Tyron bands on my Dip. Dealer installed them when I bought the rig. I believe it was @$900 installed for the pair 4 years back. Replaced the front tires last year. It took Cowser Tire Service in Ft Worth about an hour to figure out the first one and about 5 minutes for the second. When the dealer installed them they gave me the service manual and the tool used for installation and removall, a special hex key socket.

Don't know whether they work or not and hope I never have to find out.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the bomb tech.. .You know, ,I don't think I'd care for that job.
(If I see you running, the best things to do is 1: Keep up, 2: Run even faster, right?)

Back to topic... Thank you for the description.. I'm not sure how much value that would be in a blow out,, I've had blow outs on cars at speeds ranging from basically zero to faster than I care to admit, and never once did the tire come off the rim.. though in a few cases (notabally trailer) there was not much tire left, but the bead was still on the rim.

I used to drive a 1992 Chevy Lumina APV.. on that ride when I tore the sidewall out of a rear tire, the tire "Fell" into the rim like a space saver spare more or less.. When I got to the stire store (A few blocks away) the tread was dead center in the rim.. Now that rim.. I LIKED.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Monaco Owners Club
wa8yxm.....The bands were initially designed for the military where you may not know you have a flat or would keep moving with the flat. With the sales to law enforcement, it was more of an added safety benefit to keep the tire from coming off the rim. Generally, if you have a flat and come to a stop as soon as you can, the ire is not going to come off of the rim. In a motor home situation, I could see where you had to continue to drive on a flat until you find a place large enough to pull over.

2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote