Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Smile Unlevel ride height

I'm new to the forum and enjoy reading the many articles. My problem is an unlevel ride height on my 2006 Monaco MH. After 30 days of being stored in my building I started the coach and aired up the bags. I noticed that the coach was leaning toward the curbside off 1" to 1 1/2" (lower) than drivers side. Called Monaco for assistance and they said it may be a pinched air bag. They recommended inflating and dumping the bags a number of times. Tried this about 6 times with no luck. Anyone out there ever experience this problem? If so would appreciate your expertise. Thanks
Dean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Dean sounds like a rear air leveling valve problem on the low side, bad valve or rod loose. Do you hear air escaping from the rear bags on the low side? What coach do you have there are a couple threads on how to set the ride height but be aware it is not the same on all the Monacoers coaches on bag height
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Dean sounds like a rear air leveling valve problem on the low side, bad valve or rod loose. Do you hear air escaping from the rear bags on the low side? What coach do you have there are a couple threads on how to set the ride height but be aware it is not the same on all the Monacoers coaches on bag height
Thanks for the reply. Have been under coach a couple of times but don't hear any air hissing from bags. The Monaco is a Diplomat PDQ, 40' having 4 slides. I reviewed my manual and it shows the air valves and how to set them. Also, the valves and rods seem to be secure. I may try to make an adjustment on the low side valve and see what happens. Again thanks for the follow up.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #4

You have to ask yourself why would the air valves get out of adjustment by themselves while in storage?????? I agree with Monaco tech in that you should lower (dump the air) the mh all the way down then raise it all the way up a few cycles. Will it level correctly when you try it in your parked for the night mode? Is it only the Travel Mode where it is not level?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #5

DeanB, I have an 06 PDQ also. If you need the "setting the ride height" instructions and measurements send me a PM with an email and I will send them to you. But, as Mike said above, keep running them up and down. I think there is a cable/chain in the bag to limit inflation and it may be hung up. If all else fells, you may have to take the bag out and shake it free. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
You have to ask yourself why would the air valves get out of adjustment by themselves while in storage?????? I agree with Monaco tech in that you should lower (dump the air) the mh all the way down then raise it all the way up a few cycles. Will it level correctly when you try it in your parked for the night mode? Is it only the Travel Mode where it is not level?
Thanks Mike for the reply. I agree with you. The motorhome was level when putting it in storage (bags inflated). Therefore, there should not be a need for a valve or linkage adjustment. I haven't taken the MH out of the building putting it on the road or any other surface. Just been trying to air up the bags and deflate them while in the building while idling. We have been having stormy weather the past week so don't want to take it out until weather clears.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Out of curiosity.....Did you have any tire work performed on that side just before you stored it?

I wouldn't mess with it until you can take it for a drive and see if it corrects itself.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD View Post
DeanB, I have an 06 PDQ also. If you need the "setting the ride height" instructions and measurements send me a PM with an email and I will send them to you. But, as Mike said above, keep running them up and down. I think there is a cable/chain in the bag to limit inflation and it may be hung up. If all else fells, you may have to take the bag out and shake it free. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Thanks George for the follow up. I have the setting in the manual showing a gauge that is used to measure front and rear bag spacing when inflated. I'll keeping going through the sequence and maybe something will break use. Just maybe when driving the coach it will break loose also. However, don't want to drive too fast with this leaning to one side. Again thanks for the reply. Incidentally, I purchased this MH a year ago last October. Had 22,000 miles on it when I purchased. Made a 5,000 mile trip back east last fall and had no problems. I drive at 60 MPH and tow a dolly carrying a Ford Focus. Coming across the salt flats in Utah I averaged 8.6 MPG. Didn't think that was too bad. I have the IsL 400 engine, probably the same as you. Thanks for listening to me.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Out of curiosity.....Did you have any tire work performed on that side just before you stored it?

I wouldn't mess with it until you can take it for a drive and see if it corrects itself.
Thanks Don for the follow up. Yes, I had two new tires installed on the front while in the mid-west last year. However, I drove from there back to home (California) before putting it in storage and dumped the bags and aired up a number of times while in route not noticing any problems. The more I think about it I think that driving it might correct the problem. Sure don't want to make any linkage corrections before giving it a test drive.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had exactly this problem a couple of years ago. DO NOT drive it until you get the air valve working. The air valve on the low side is not airing up.

Sometimes the rod where it fastens to the air valve arm seizes. Try lubing that connection, check it to make sure it is not seized. Sometimes a bolt is used for the pin. If the nut is tightened too much, it can clamp the arm too tightly on the arm, causing it to seize.

With air pressure up, take a long stick and work the arm on the air valve to see if that side will air up. If it does air up, then try driving it. If the valve sticks again, have it replaced.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
I had exactly this problem a couple of years ago. DO NOT drive it until you get the air valve working. The air valve on the low side is not airing up.

Sometimes the rod where it fastens to the air valve arm seizes. Try lubing that connection, check it to make sure it is not seized. Sometimes a bolt is used for the pin. If the nut is tightened too much, it can clamp the arm too tightly on the arm, causing it to seize.

With air pressure up, take a long stick and work the arm on the air valve to see if that side will air up. If it does air up, then try driving it. If the valve sticks again, have it replaced.
Thanks Jim for the follow up. As you mentioned you had the same problem. Eventually did you replace the valve? I've been under the coach a few times looking at the valves on the rear axle. Both valves appear to be secure (rods secure to mounts on valves). I tried spraying the low side valve with WD-40 but nothing became of it. You might get back and let me know if you replaced the valve on you coach. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here on the site. I'm sure you'll get all the help you need to your problem. Enjoy your future travels, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean B View Post
Thanks Jim for the follow up. As you mentioned you had the same problem. Eventually did you replace the valve? I've been under the coach a few times looking at the valves on the rear axle. Both valves appear to be secure (rods secure to mounts on valves). I tried spraying the low side valve with WD-40 but nothing became of it. You might get back and let me know if you replaced the valve on you coach. Thanks.
Our left rear valve failed a couple of years ago while on a trip down to California. On our second day out, we woke up in the morning, started the coach and the left rear would not get up. Called a Freightliner shop, their mechanic rapped on the valve with a stick, and the left rear of the coach got up. He said to keep going, but don't let the air down. We made it to California, but it didn't handle well because the left rear air valve wasn't responding properly to road dips, wind gusts, etc. When we reached our destination in California, I found a shop and had them replace all three ride height valves and adjust the ride height. It's been fine ever since.

I still have the old valves. Two of them move freely when I yank on the arm. One sticks. So I guess something has gone wrong inside that valve.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote