Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #1

Unlocking an older Sterling towbar

I have an older Roadmaster Sterling towbar that I'm trying to use for the first time. I can't see how to unlock the towbar from the locked position at the motorhome. This prevents me from straightening the arms so I can hook to the toad. It looks as though the newer ones have the latching mechanism on a spring which you can push forward and release. This one is welded on but has a slot coming out to the right. What releases this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On mine I had to rotate the whole unit to the passenger side and unlatch it thru the slot. The whole unit swivels on the receiver. On mine the swivel was really tight so I had to apply a bit of muscle to the arms and give it a twist in a clockwise (facing the rear of the coach) direction till the pin lined up with the gap.
The bars in the stowed position point to the driver side, simply rotate them like a large handle to the passenger side and they come down to the tow position.
Ron

Old 10-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #3

I had called Roadmaster and once they found an old hand he told me the same thing. Looking at it I couldn't see that it rotated that way although I knew it had to. I didn't want to create more problems by putting to much muscle. (Not that I have much muscle to put anymore). I sprayed with oil and let sit awhile and it worked exactly as you described. Thanks for the respond.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler Maker View Post
I had called Roadmaster and once they found an old hand he told me the same thing. Looking at it I couldn't see that it rotated that way although I knew it had to. I didn't want to create more problems by putting to much muscle. (Not that I have much muscle to put anymore). I sprayed with oil and let sit awhile and it worked exactly as you described. Thanks for the respond.
From my experience with the towbar we had the rotational motion of the bar wants to be pretty tight. After mine loosened up significantly the toad developed a "rolling" motion that I'm convinced shortened the life of the towbar. I traded it in for a Reman bar that has the latch and it is no longer necessary to rotate it so far every time I hookup. The old bar had appx 75k miles on it so I'm happy with the performance. It's hard to beleive but those things really do wear out!!
Ron