Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Update - Front Bearings and Norcold Repair

Just thought I'd share some information...

I took our 00 Diplomat to the repair shop to have the Norcold recall done on our 1200LRIM refrigerator.

The coach is 'new to me' and I have no idea of previous maintenance history.

With all of the talk on this and other boards concerning front wheel bearings, I asked to have the front set re-packed while the coach was there.

Turned out to be a good move; the bearings were completely shot and rusted. Funny, I hadn't noticed any abnormal noises, grinding, etc. - the rig drove as it always had since I purchased it. The bearings looked as if they had never been lubed at all; bone dry, and rust-colored.

At any rate - replaced all and boy, is it smooothe and quiet now. Apparently, just dodged an expensive breakdown on the road as well...not sure I want to deal with a burned out bearing, being towed somewhere for repairs, etc.

So I guess the reason I share is for others to consider at least checking on the front bearing status (as well as other routine maintenance items) when in doubt about their status or previous service history.

Fridge works fine, and all is well in the end....

John S.
00 Diplomat 36B
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Glad you found the problem before it turned into a real problem.

I had a front wheel bearing fail on me many moons ago on a old second hand car. It was not fun watching the left front wheel passing me. The bearing seized and snapped the spindle.
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaptrn View Post
Just thought I'd share some information...

I took our 00 Diplomat to the repair shop to have the Norcold recall done on our 1200LRIM refrigerator.

The coach is 'new to me' and I have no idea of previous maintenance history.

With all of the talk on this and other boards concerning front wheel bearings, I asked to have the front set re-packed while the coach was there.

Turned out to be a good move; the bearings were completely shot and rusted. Funny, I hadn't noticed any abnormal noises, grinding, etc. - the rig drove as it always had since I purchased it. The bearings looked as if they had never been lubed at all; bone dry, and rust-colored.

At any rate - replaced all and boy, is it smooothe and quiet now. Apparently, just dodged an expensive breakdown on the road as well...not sure I want to deal with a burned out bearing, being towed somewhere for repairs, etc.

So I guess the reason I share is for others to consider at least checking on the front bearing status (as well as other routine maintenance items) when in doubt about their status or previous service history.

Fridge works fine, and all is well in the end....

John S.
00 Diplomat 36B
Glad you caught that one John! Many folks change over to the oil baths on the front but two big disadvantages to oil baths are that we loose the opportunity to inspect the brakes and bearings since the wheels are occasionally removed.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Interesting information John S - thank you for sharing this. I am curious about the following:

Was this the first time the bearings was inspected and/or was changed?
Was is the mileage on your coach?
Do you normally store your coach in a cold or wet environment?

I have never heard about failure like what you are describing and I am interested as to what would have caused this.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Bearings

1) The coach is 'new to me' at 56k miles and about 6 months ago. I have no idea about previous bearing checks/maintenance (which is part of the problem.)
Due to my unfortunate genetics (not related to the Aga Khan, Bill Gates, or Warren Buffet) - I have to tackle maintenance and repairs over time :-) This is one of the problems with buying used, but also half the fun tracking things down and learning.

I bought the coach at 57k, and she now has 61k.

Checking the Carfax history, the rig 'lived' in Portland Oregon with two owners prior to my purchase in Phoenix, AZ. There is zero rust anywhere on the coach, and no signs of other moisture problem inside or out.

We live in Las Cruces NM, so it's basic southwest US desert climate.

Can't honestly say that the bearings failed, however, and this is the puzzling/troubling part to me. I was just being cautious after reading so much about front bearings. There was no audible grind from the driver's seat, but I never jacked up the coach (!) and spun the tires to listen while outside. The right front was significantly worse than the left, but neither had seized. The problem was a near absolute absence of grease and resulting channeling and wear of the bearings themselves.

So now I'm left thinking....what ELSE do I have to look out for?

John S.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaptrn View Post
1) So now I'm left thinking....what ELSE do I have to look out for? John S.
Thanks John.

I have a philosophy that goes something like this:
If it moves or can be moved it needs regular attention and probably lubrication of some sort.

Examples: Drive shaft, jacks, slideout rails, steering, engine (including generator), hinges, bearings ..... and the list goes on. My mind tells me that if I look after those things to the best of my ability I have done as much as I can, and having said that I will most likely experience failures.

We have to accept that nothing is fail prof but there are things that we can do to improve the odds.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
If you don't mind... How much did it cost to have the bearings replaced and what was the estimate for repacking?

I ask because while tracking down a new front end vibration, I found the right front wheel bearings loose. Soooo... I will be doing the same thing here.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Bearings

I was quoted 'about' $175.00 for the re-pack.

The full replacement yielded about 400.00 in parts and 200.00 for labor.
I had a few other things done, too, so I have to apportion things out without exact figures for each component. For instance - also had the rear differential checked and the lubrication changed - again, just as a precaution since I didn't know if it had ever been done! My figures are close, but not exact.

Not quite what I was expecting price-wise, but apparently well worth the caution!

John S.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
You actualy did quite well even on the price... Just to repack mine, I've been quoted from $300 clear up to $600!!!!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
John,

Where did you have the work done? We live near Santa Fe and have all our work done at Albuquerque shops.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
RV Service

Very happy to recommend Bogart's RV Service here in Las Cruces.

Have dealt with them for almost 3 years / 2 different coaches. They have always done quality work at reasonable prices, and I'm happy to give them a ringing endorsement if you are ever down this way.

John S.
00 Diplomat 36B