Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Updating A/C Units on 2003 Monaco

I have a 2003 Monaco Windsor with the Penquin I AC units with heat pumps and the Duro Therm Comfort Control Thermostat. Has anyone upgraded their A/C units and if so what kind did you upgrade with? Penquin II's? When you upgraded could you tell a difference in cooling with the new units.

I am assuming you would have to replace the Duro Therm Thermostat as well. Thanks for all the help.
Coreyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post
I have a 2003 Monaco Windsor with the Penquin I AC units with heat pumps and the Duro Therm Comfort Control Thermostat. Has anyone upgraded their A/C units and if so what kind did you upgrade with? Penquin II's? When you upgraded could you tell a difference in cooling with the new units.

I am assuming you would have to replace the Duro Therm Thermostat as well. Thanks for all the help.
I went with the Penguin II when my living area Penguin I crapped out. I don't have linked systems so it was an easy replacement. I replaced both AC unit and thermostat. Since the original unit wasn't cooling, yes it was a big improvement!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post

Haven’t done that particular upgrade. I can tell you an ‘upgrade’ in cooling would only happen in you upgraded from 13500 BTU units to 15000 BTU units. If you currently have a 4 button thermostat, an upgrade to 5 button would require new control boards on each unit. If you did upgrade your penguin I ‘s to penguin IIs, you would have to upgrade your thermostat to a 5 button if you presently have a 4 button.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dennis, how are they for noise?

One of these days, one of my Duo-therms will pack it in, and I'll have to make a decision .
Old 01-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Haven’t done that particular upgrade. I can tell you an ‘upgrade’ in cooling would only happen in you upgraded from 13500 BTU units to 15000 BTU units. If you currently have a 4 button thermostat, an upgrade to 5 button would require new control boards on each unit. If you did upgrade your penguin I ‘s to penguin IIs, you would have to upgrade your thermostat to a 5 button if you presently have a 4 button.
There are a lot of moving parts to swapping out for new Penguin II depending on what you already have installed. You can't use the 4 button thermostats with them, there are no retrofit boards. You need new T-stats like this if you have a multi zone unit.

And two of these if you have a single zone unit like I do.

I believe you can get a retrofit board if you have a 5 button thermostat.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Dennis, how are they for noise?

One of these days, one of my Duo-therms will pack it in, and I'll have to make a decision .
Ben,

I have the high capacity Penguin IIs with heat pumps (they don't call them 15K units) and they are just as noisy as the Penguin One I replaced. Frankly, after having them for about 2 years, I'd skip the heat pumps and save a couple hundred dollars per unit.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No, I need heat pumps, and don't know how loud the Penguin 1's were !
Old 01-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #8

I replaced with Penguin IIs on my 03 Windsor and no I can't say they were
a great improvement probably about the same .
I wouldn't replace them unless they were not cooling
When they stop working you gotta do something so I bit the bullet and bought
2 heat pumps and a new thermostat .
Actually if you want to replace just one they say you can put the board from your
old A/C into the new A/C and they will work together with the old 5 button thermostat.
Might not work well with warranty though , don't know if they could tell as long
as you put the new board back in .

We use the heat pumps a lot The noise bothers some people but I guess either
we have gotten used to it or we can't hear very well . LOL

The new thermostats are so much better they may be the best part of the whole
change .

Since you can't buy the old Penguins the IIs are about it
You may want to buy new drain cups , I did , they are plastic and were getting old .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
No, I need heat pumps, and don't know how loud the Penguin 1's were !
Loud. Loud enough to be intrusive in my opinion. I don't know that any of the roof units are remotely quiet. I guess it depends on where you travel. Most of the time we use the propane heater, once the sun comes up it's normally warm enough that the heater doesn't come on again. We rarely use the heat pumps.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
There are a lot of moving parts to swapping out for new Penguin II depending on what you already have installed. You can't use the 4 button thermostats with them, there are no retrofit boards. You need new T-stats like this if you have a multi zone unit.

And two of these if you have a single zone unit like I do.

I believe you can get a retrofit board if you have a 5 button thermostat.
Agree. I changed to the P two's with the ccc 10 button. Nice thing about the ccc, is that you can program it for different temps at different times, although I have never used that feature.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here's a thread I started when I went through the swap out.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dome...mp-292988.html
Old 01-29-2019, 07:20 AM   #12

If you are going to change a/c units and stick with the Penguin units, by all means get the 15K units with heat pumps. They come with a board that requires the 10 button thermostat or you can get a board for a 5 button one it the 4 will not work. Also change the gasket between the a/c and roof at the same time.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco