Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #1

A few weeks ago while driving at night on dark two lane roads in central Utah I was painfully aware of the need to upgrade my headlights. I have a 05 H.R. Endeavor 38PDQ. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #2

A few weeks ago while driving at night on dark two lane roads in central Utah I was painfully aware of the need to upgrade my headlights. I have a 05 H.R. Endeavor 38PDQ. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Search for the Sylvania Silverstar threads. There are a couple of them in there. I got them and it made a big difference. Re-aiming is also important.

--kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #4

Many MH's have a problem with the way the headlights are wired. You should check the voltage at the headlight connector. If it is low there is a cure that involves Bosch relays to provide full voltage.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
dfb1....I couldn't find my old post on this, but here's what I did. I put the Sylvania Silverstar HIGH beam bulbs in both the high and low beam positions. If you look, there is a small plastic bar inside the high beam bulb electrical end that prevents it from being placed in the low beam socket. The high beam bulbs are 10 watts more powerful.

The low beam bulbs, both the stock and Silverstars have a coated tip to block the end of them so they don't blind oncoming traffic. If you look at your coach lenses the low beam lense already has a block (chrome plate) built in.

The bulb change helped, but the biggest improvement occurred when I switched out the oval driving lights mounted below the headlights. I replaced the Monaco driving (oval) lights with Hella FF driving lights. They fit in the same opening and are easily connected to the existing wiring. These were a fantastic improvement and I was no longer overdriving my lights at 60-65 mph. It took a couple of trys to aim them just right, but they're great and they don't blind oncoming traffic.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The silverstar lights will help a lot as well the mod Dip Don mentions. You might also want to look at this site to aim your headlights. The headlights from the factory are installed but I suspect never aimed correctly. Daniel Sterns website has an excellent aiming procedure that you might want to consider.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

I adjusted my headlights after I installed silverstars and was amazed how much better they were. Also, you may want to investigate what Moisheh said in his post. Even thought my lights had a relay the supply wiring was very inadequate and I saw a great deal of voltage drop at the light. On the above URL Daniel Stern has a great upgrade to correct the voltage drop. Even with a 1/2 volt drop you lose a great deal of delivered light output.
I upgraded to higher output lights (not silverstar) and installed the bosch relays with 14G wiring and aligned my light pattern and saw a great improvement.

DIp Don. which Hellas did you upgrade too? On the Endeavor and Diplomat the Lincoln light assembly is used and it was designed for a car and not an RV and the light pattern does not provide enough lighting below the main beam.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Might just be the plastic cover over the lights have UV damage (yellowed). You can get a kit at about any auto parts place and it's easy to do.
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I used these Hella FF lights. I also aimed my headlights when I was done. I eventually found that it was most effective to aim all of the lights on a dark level road. The headlights can only be adjusted up or down.

The Hella's fit in the original driving light opening. I used a small spacer (washer) under the mounting bolt to center the Hella's. Once adjusted, I snugged them down tightly so I wouldn't bump them while washing the coach.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #9

Thank-you all so much for responding with the ways to improve headlight performance/visability. I will use this information to improve the comfort & safety in my motorhome. Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Part of the problem with some of the Monaco/Holiday Rambler coaches is they use an automotive headlight assembly. The headlights are much closer to the ground (and further apart) and when installed on a MH the resulting beam pattern starts out much higher. On our Endeavor the headlight assembly is from a lincoln LS and there are some pretty severe holes in the beam pattern. Don's idea to install Hellas help compensate for the poor beam pattern.

Another bulb option for the main lights is to use HIR bulbs. These bulbs put out much more light than standard Halogen and Silverstars. These bulbs are installed in some BMW's, Nissan, Dodge Viper and several GM products. Here is a link that describes them:

http://hirheadlights.com/

When I aimed my headlights and installed SilverStars the light output was noticably whiter and somewhat brighter and better than standard halogen bulbs. I purchased 2 low beam HIR bulbs and amazed how much better they are than the SilverStars. I swapped out one and left the SilverStar in the other headlight so I could see if there was any difference. There was a big difference.
About the same price as SilverStars.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 11-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #11

Mark,
I also bought Silverstars with the hope of some nice improvement but didn't see what I was expecting so with that said I continue to seek better lighting without having to rewire and put in relays. (I am not very good at that stuff) I plan to replace my fog lights with the Hella FF75 and considering Dons idea for the low beams or HIR bulbs. Is your link the only source for buying the HIR or do you think auto part stores will carry?

Thanks for all the information guys!!

Ed
Old 11-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed S:
Mark,
I also bought Silverstars with the hope of some nice improvement but didn't see what I was expecting so with that said I continue to seek better lighting without having to rewire and put in relays. (I am not very good at that stuff) I plan to replace my fog lights with the Hella FF75 and considering Dons idea for the low beams or HIR bulbs. Is your link the only source for buying the HIR or do you think auto part stores will carry?

Thanks for all the information guys!!

Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed,
HIR bulbs are harder to find than standard Halogen. The Chevy Avalanche, Dodge Viper, some BMW's and a few others have them so you should be able to cross reference them on NAPA or other part store. Someone gave me a tip that John Deere uses them as well and provided me with a part number. I bought 2 from the local JD dealer about a year ago for $15 each but have heard they are now $25 thru them. There is also an EBAY etailer that carries them.

Candlepower sells them as well.

http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 11-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #13

Thanks for the updated infor Mark.

Don when you upgraded your driving/fog lights did you change anything like ga of wire or relays? Not wanting to mess with this if I don't have to.

Have a great day,
Ed
Old 11-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No, I didn't want to mess with it either and trusted that Monaco had used the correct wire sizes. We don't drive at night that often, but haven't had any issues with the upgrades and wiring. We leave tomorrow evening for Yosemite and will be driving the N/B I-5 after dark. This is when I really appreciate the extra lighting. Remember, the Silverstars were an improvement, but it was the Hella FF driving lights that really made the difference.

I also beleive as others have stated that the position where we sit in relationship to the lighting and road surface is what makes the stock lights look inadequate. The Hella's down low seemed to solve that.