Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #1

I know our Dynasty is prewired for the Unified tow brake but where do I find the wires. Are the dash wires behind that removable pannel on the back side of the dash? How is it removed? Is the diode already installed? Are the wires already connected at the rear by the trlr. hitch?

Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #2

I know our Dynasty is prewired for the Unified tow brake but where do I find the wires. Are the dash wires behind that removable pannel on the back side of the dash? How is it removed? Is the diode already installed? Are the wires already connected at the rear by the trlr. hitch?

Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 06-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I can answer your questions based on my Diplomat. Probably the same on the Dynasty, but I wouldn't know that for sure...

Behind the dash (accessable through the removeable panel), there is a six-pin connector containing 5 wires for a trailer brake harness. They are labeled as follows...

Pin, Label ... Description
1 GROUND 4 ... Chassis Ground #4 (battery compart.)
2 BBUILD IGNITION ... +12V when ignition is on
3 TRLR BRAKE +12V ... +12V from chassis battery
4 TRLR BRAKE ... Routes to rear of coach for trlr harness
5 TO BRAKE CONTROL ... +12V when service brake is pushed
6 (Not Used)

When connecting the US Gear control, you would use pins 1,2,4,5 and connect the Black, Red, Orange, and Blue wires respectively. (Pin #3 not needed.)

At the rear cap, you would need to locate the wire marked "TRLR BRAKE +12V" and route that into your pigtail. The pigtail should already contain a ground. Don't know where this wire is, but it should be somewhere near the pigtail. There are no diodes in the harness. Not sure why you'd need any.

On the Dip, you lift the dash access panel by carefully prying up one edge with a flat screw driver. It's just held down by gravety. Don't know if the Dynasty is the same. Also can't swear that the wires would be labeled the same on the Dynasty.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #4

Thanks Robin:

My unit is parked 65 miles from us and I cannot check it out. I think my dash panel has 4 round covers. Either push pins or there are screws under the cover. I take it you did not have to use a diode? I could call Us Gear or Monaco and they should be able to nanswer that question. Thanks again
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Moisheh,

I didn't install my unit. I had the dealer do it as part of the purchase agreement. The info I'm giving you is from my chassis electrical diagram. The US Gear installation guide does show diodes in-line with the battery connections but those diodes are supplied by them.

You also need a source 12V coach battery source in the pigtail, which is not part of the brake harness. My diagram shows a wire to the pigtail marked "TRLR CHARGE" which supplies 12V from the coach battery through a relay when the ignition is on. Don't know if you could use that, or if you even have that wire. Best to ask Monaco about that.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Moisheh,
I read on the US Gear web site that, on some Monaco coaches, there is a wiring error on the Monaco plug. Make sure you ask US Gear if your coach is impacted. I think there is some confusion at Monaco so I would confirm anything I heard with US Gear. I don't have the US Gear braking system but used some of the wires for 12v DC to the toad and tow brake confirmation back to the coach instrument panel.

mark

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #7

Thanks Mark:

I had already printed out all that info from the US Gear site. Why would Monaco wire each unit differently? With all the hype about it being prewired for the Unified Tow brake it should have the mating connector already installed with the same color code as US Gear. Too many engineers I guess!!! I still have to find out if the diode is preinstalled.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 06-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Moisheh,
Too many Engineers or too little talking and documentation. At any rate, it sounds like you are well on top of it. In my case I was happy to have a 12v source and 2 spare wires that I could use to keep the toad battery topped off and provide wires to the front of the coach. Saved me a lot of time.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With all the hype about it being prewired for the Unified Tow brake it should have the mating connector already installed with the same color code as US Gear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Moisheh,

I don't really believe that Monaco included the harness with only the US Gear system in mind. They call it a "Trailer Brake Harness". If you look at the pin-outs that I described above, I believe it is designed to accommodate a variety of braking systems that employ a cockpit controller. It would also accommodate a trailer for a race car, for example. The "hype" about it being a harness for the US Gear system is coming from the marketing people, not the engineers. That's not untrue, as it will certainly accommodate that system. I believe I've read that US Gear can supply a matching connector to go between their controller and the Monaco connector. You may want to ask them about that. Alternately, you could just splice into the proper wires.

As for possible wireing errors on the connector behind the dash, you can easily determine that by testing with a volt meter. Regarding the trailer pigtail, while wiring is supposed to be standard, there are often variations from the standard. It is ultimately up to the end user to determine what goes thorugh the pigtail, depending on the intended use. Concerning diodes, I don't believe you'll find any in the Monaco wireing. US Gear supplies the ones you will need.

I agree that if you have specific questions, you'll probably get better answers from the US Gear people, since they should be familiar with both their product and the Monaco harness.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #10

I am planning to order the unified tow brake but wanted to locate the proper wires in the dash. Since I needed to open her up anyways to check the connections to my speedometer (needle jumps around and some times is just dead) figure I would kill two birds with one stone. I had called Monoco tech last week and was told I was looking for two wire ends taped together between the steering and side panel. Looking at this post I should be looking for a six prong plug with five wires. Well I found one such plug but do you think I can read anything on the very short wires? no. About ready to give up and order the tow brake package for the none wired coach. If anyone can help here with additional thought I would appreciate it very much.

BTW, two connections were loose on the speedometer but will not know if that solved the problem until this weekend. I also found the cb wires and cable that will be pulled in the event I want a cb when I start towing.

Thanks

Ed
Old 06-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #11

Wow Ed:

You resurected a thread that was a year old!! I did find the plastic connector under the dash. However Monaco installed the wrong end of the connector and I had to get the correct one from US Gear. You did not state the model and year of your unit?? US Gaer can give you all the information that is required.

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 06-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #12

o6 Endeavor built in May of 05
Also looking at an Air Force One brake but now now sure I want to tow a Suburban
I did find a connector with 5 white wires but just cannot read anything on the wires themself cause the wires are so short and coming out of a major bundle of wires.

Ed
Old 06-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #13

correction, June of 05
Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Call the US gear tech line. Excellent help, Will walk you through it.
Pigtail was under dash just like the picture on US gear web site.
I installed system in 5 hrs, biggest issue was making a bridge bracket to support the cable from the solenoid . The 98 Blazer has a large wire loom running in the same place.

Shake down cruise to Fla, I had to make a small adjustment on the cable to insure the brake lights turned off. Peace of mind on the long down hills.

New From E-bay $500.00