RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 03:15 AM   #1

US Gear tow brake controller D-Celerator

My 2006 Dynasty owners manual states that I have one as OEM equipment from National Parts . It states that it is pre-wired and equipped to support a towed trailer or vehicle. Parts are available from National to make said vehicle compatable.

OK-fine
What is it, how does it work, does it work, where do I find it on the rig, and last but not least, how does it stack up against a Blue Ox Patriot II system?
I plan to tow a 2006 Dakota equipped with a Remco drive shaft disconnect, a Blue Ox tow bar and a Patriot II braking system. However, if Monaco already provides an adequate system that I can interface with my truck, it seems prudent to use it.

Good advice is requested from those more knowledgable!
Thanks
Bill

Billard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #2

We had the US Gear system in our '06 Dynasty and our '05 Acura MDX, then our '11 Explorer, and it was a great system. I believe that the existing infrastructure in your coach may be limited to a connector that can be found behind the kick-panel by your drivers seat, left side. I think the connector may be marked M-66. It is ready to be connected to the controller that you can mount on your dash. Ours was double-sided taped to the dash in the lower left corner. The connector may have 6 positions. White is ground, black and white goes to the brake light relay, blue goes to a plug M109-5 (Drawing says, "BRK TO CONT TO M109-5"), yellow and black goes to ignition positive and red goes to a source for the toad charging line power, and the 6th position was a no-connection.

I believe that the blue is the one that provides the braking signal from the controller on the dash to the module in the tow vehicle, and I believe that it does go thru to the tow receptacle on the back of your coach. So whatever type of controller you use, if it has a module at the drivers position, will likely use the blue wire from that connector M66.

When we replaced our tow vehicle with a '17 GMC Acadia, we went with the Air Force One system, and it does not use that cable, at all and there is nothing installed on the dash for it.

I don't know if this helps, but I wish you success in your project. You bought a beautiful coach!!

K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bill! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not familiar with that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
We had the US Gear system in our '06 Dynasty and our '05 Acura MDX, then our '11 Explorer, and it was a great system. I believe that the existing infrastructure in your coach may be limited to a connector that can be found behind the kick-panel by your drivers seat, left side. I think the connector may be marked M-66. It is ready to be connected to the controller that you can mount on your dash. Ours was double-sided taped to the dash in the lower left corner. The connector may have 6 positions. White is ground, black and white goes to the brake light relay, blue goes to a plug M109-5 (Drawing says, "BRK TO CONT TO M109-5"), yellow and black goes to ignition positive and red goes to a source for the toad charging line power, and the 6th position was a no-connection.

I believe that the blue is the one that provides the braking signal from the controller on the dash to the module in the tow vehicle, and I believe that it does go thru to the tow receptacle on the back of your coach. So whatever type of controller you use, if it has a module at the drivers position, will likely use the blue wire from that connector M66.

When we replaced our tow vehicle with a '17 GMC Acadia, we went with the Air Force One system, and it does not use that cable, at all and there is nothing installed on the dash for it.

I don't know if this helps, but I wish you success in your project. You bought a beautiful coach!!
The unified us gear brake is a fantastic system. I have never seen one factory installed. If it is installed you should have a bag with the parts for the toad.. Also there should be a small black plastic controller mounted to the dash. I somehow doubt the above parts are there. But your unit maybe wired for the system. You would still have to
In stall the toad parts.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

US Gear Unified Tow Brake........
Unified Tow Brake
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
US Gear Unified Tow Brake........
Unified Tow Brake
Although the website for the unified tow brake is still active they are out of business. All theparts were sold to Southwest drivelinein Yuma. Some parts are still available from ppl and robbers on eBay. I am not sure about any tech support. I managed to find one used system and one NOS system. I feel like a hoarder!!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had the US Gear system in my 07 Diplomat for 8 years and it worked great. I had the controller go out last year and not sure of future parts avalability decided to replace it with the M&G system which I am very happy with. My coach came wired for the US Gear system and the plug was located under the console that has the park brake and transmission pad. I installed the US Gear system and the M&G system myself.

Tags
brake, tow, tow brake