Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #1

Using exhaust brake

in janurary i trades my safari simba 30' mh for a 40' monaco diplomat. traveled all over flordia and didn't need to use te exhaust brake. i am now in the nc mountains and will soon be going down a 3 mile 8% grade. my question is when i start down should i turn on the exhaust brake and what gear should i shift sown too. this monister is big to me and i am still getting used to it. i know there are a lot of experienced rvers on this site that can give me a little advice on downshifting and use of the exhaust brake. thanks in advance lostone65

2004 CRYSLER PT CRUISER TOAD
lostone65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostone65 View Post
in janurary i trades my safari simba 30' mh for a 40' monaco diplomat. traveled all over flordia and didn't need to use te exhaust brake. i am now in the nc mountains and will soon be going down a 3 mile 8% grade. my question is when i start down should i turn on the exhaust brake and what gear should i shift sown too. this monister is big to me and i am still getting used to it. i know there are a lot of experienced rvers on this site that can give me a little advice on downshifting and use of the exhaust brake. thanks in advance lostone65
Sounds like you are going off the plateau at Black Mountain on I-40 East. Yes, I would turn on the exhaust brake at the top and not let my speed get over 45 MPH. When the speed gets to fast press on the brake until the speed comes back down. The transmission will down shift automatically with the exhaust brake on. If you desire you can do a manual downshift to keep the transmission from changing to a higher gear. The number displayed will be the highest gear allowed. The main thing to remember in going down a grade with a heavy vehicle is to not let the speed get to high. It becomes difficult to get speed back down once the inertia builds up. Keep your cool and you will do fine.

Bob (and old mountain boy from way back)
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Bob gave you good advice. I will only add that going up a long grade, keep your RPMs up 1800-2000 to keep the engine cooling as it should. Downshift to do this.

I always drive with my exhaust brake on except when in heavy rain. I don't drive on snow or ice - and plan to always be someplace where there isn't any.

Rex Darley 01 Diplomat 40 PDQ

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Rex made a great point. Keep the exhaust brake on in normal weather. Not only does it reduce wear an tear on the brakes it also exercises the exhaust brake components. Lack of use and lubrication is probably the chief cause of exhaust brake failure. The various parts of the exhaust brake can carbon up or freeze up.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
lostone65.......Here's a couple of other things you should know. On my coach and yours should be similar, the exhaust brake will disengage at 63 mph. So if you turn it on above 63 mph or allow speed to increase past 63 mph, the exhaust brake will disengage.

My exhaust brake is very ineffective between 45 mph and 63 mph on a steep grade as you describe. My coach will continue to gain speed and I will have stab the brakes several times to reduce speed.

If I'm on a steep grade I bring the coach down to 44 mph where it downshifts to (I believe) third gear. Once I hit third gear, my coach will hold speed no matter how steep.

Finally, the exhaust brake will disengage around 15 mph.

Sixpack98 brought up a good point about using the exhaust brake frequently. If you don't, it will seize. PacBrake makes a bottle of lube just for the brake mechanism that you can squirt on the exhaust brake through the engine cover in the bedroom. I don't use mine in stop and go traffic, but any type of freeway driving I use it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Several have mentioned that they leave the exhaust brake on all the time. I understood that anytime the exhaust brake is on the brake lights are on. Is this true? I would think having the brake lights on all the time would be like not having any brake lights.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I Don't keep Mine On all the time, But I do engage it every time I want to Slow down & On My 2008 Dynasty, Yes The brake lights will come on when engaged.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #8

I keep my switch on all the time. It only kicks in when your foot is off the peddle. Never had brake lights go on unless I am putting on the brake.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
On my rig, 05 Knight, the brake lights come on when ever the engine brake engages. That is part of the reason why the cruise control is set to not engage when the engine brake is selected on.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
For that slope and distance,I agree with those that said at the top, 3rd gear, keep it at 45 or less and, if needed, use your brakes to keep it in that range.

Assuming the exhaust brake is engaged all the way down, my brake lights would also be on so hopefully those behind you will control their speed and notice you are going slow because my 4 way flashers don't flash when the brake lights are on.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You are in charge of making sure the engine RPM does not overspeed. The speedometer is not the only thing you are concerned about, keep your eye on the tachometer as well.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Flagelpater.....I don't know if you've heard of the Brake Switch http://www.brakeswitch.com/index.htm, it allows you to run with the cruise control and the exhaust brake switch on. When you tap the brakes, it engages the exhaust brake, when you tap the throttle, it disengages the exhaust brake. Some of the newer coaches are designed to do this, but older ones are not.

I bought the switch, but was unable to get it to work. My brake lights don't come on when the exhaust brake is engauged. Somewhere Monaco missed some wiring. I took in for warranty work, but they could never resolve the issue. The brake lights have to come on to trigger the unit. I really wanted it to work because it allows you to keep the cruise engaged and have the exhaust brake switch turned on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
D Don, Thank you. I had not seen this switch before. The installation seems simple enough too. I have the SMI Toad braking system so I know the Monaco wires are there on my unit. I have never had someone behind me watching the coach brake lights when the engine brake comes on. I am going on what is supposed to happen! Selecting the engine brake ON will turn Off the Cruise Control on my unit.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Flagelpater.....I don't know if you've heard of the Brake Switch http://www.brakeswitch.com/index.htm, it allows you to run with the cruise control and the exhaust brake switch on. When you tap the brakes, it engages the exhaust brake, when you tap the throttle, it disengages the exhaust brake. Some of the newer coaches are designed to do this, but older ones are not.
The change occured in Dips and Endeavors with the 2007 model year. 2007 and beyond, the BrakeSwitch would be hard to install (no brake signal in the front end of the coach) and really won't do that much for you anyway. I assume this would be the same for the Knight/Ambassador as well, but not really sure. BEFORE the 2007 model year, the BrakeSwitch is a great addition to have.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote