Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Using the battery boost switch to charge chassis batteries..

I have a new to me 2005 Monaco Diplomat that has a problem not charging the chassis batteries when on shore power. I used the boost switch to tie the batteries together to charge the chassis batteries. I did not leave it on for more than 5 minutes. It did help a little. My question is would leaving this switch closed for long periods of time cause a problem? Do others also do this?
Thanks
wsgriffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsgriffi View Post
I have a new to me 2005 Monaco Diplomat that has a problem not charging the chassis batteries when on shore power. I used the boost switch to tie the batteries together to charge the chassis batteries. I did not leave it on for more than 5 minutes. It did help a little. My question is would leaving this switch closed for long periods of time cause a problem? Do others also do this?
Thanks
I had a similar issue on my 04 Windsor. Turns out it was a relay shown in the picture. It was the one on the right, $9 part at AutoZone . Charging the chassis batteries while on shore power is no longer an issue. You may want to check that.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190522_163753.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	246873
Old 05-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Wolfy, where Is this relay located and did you replace it with a new part or was this an addition? My ‘06 Monaco Knight does the same thing. I had to leave a trickle charger on the chassis batteries over the winter but would prefer not to do that. Any guidance is appreciated.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #4

On our rig, it's located in the electrical compartment, right rear. I'm not sure if it's the same for your model.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #5

It wasn't an addition I put on. It was existing and had just gone bad.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #6

Well, I did some research on my 2004 Camelot after a camping buddy, older and wiser than me said his 2006 Diplomats shore power does not charge his chassis batteries. Only the house batteries are charged. That’s why he installed an outlet in his battery bay to plug the Battery Tender into. We got on this subject when I was parked next to him on one of my last camp outs. I was complaining about my coach sitting all winter plugged into my 50 amp shorepower at my home and come spring the coach wouldn’t start because the batteries were too low. So I did the same install and have had any problems since. Why some of the early Monaco were set up this way is beyond me. Some coaches, when plugged into shore power, both house and chassis batteries get charged. Mine doesn’t.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:03 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
Well, I did some research on my 2004 Camelot after a camping buddy, older and wiser than me said his 2006 Diplomats shore power does not charge his chassis batteries. Only the house batteries are charged. That’s why he installed an outlet in his battery bay to plug the Battery Tender into. We got on this subject when I was parked next to him on one of my last camp outs. I was complaining about my coach sitting all winter plugged into my 50 amp shorepower at my home and come spring the coach wouldn’t start because the batteries were too low. So I did the same install and have had any problems since. Why some of the early Monaco were set up this way is beyond me. Some coaches, when plugged into shore power, both house and chassis batteries get charged. Mine doesn’t.
Dave is correct. After some research I found that our 2004 Camelot would not charge the start batteries on shore power. I did not want to put an extra charger in there. I instead installed a Blue Sea relay that ties the batteries together. I also wired it to drop out when I start the engine. It also keeps the batteries tied together while boon docking but with drop out and disconnect when the start batteries reach 65% capacity. It may sound complicated but it was really very easy to install.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsgriffi View Post
Thanks
Your Diplomat does not provide a means of charging the chassis batteries from shore power. You need to install one of these:
AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #9

Have used this unit for years. Easy to install across the Trombretta relay located in the battery compartment.
Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
Old 05-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I just ordered the Ultra Trik-L-Start to fix this problem. Thanks to everyone for your input.
wsgriffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
Why some of the early Monaco were set up this way is beyond me. Some coaches, when plugged into shore power, both house and chassis batteries get charged. Mine doesn’t.
They fixed that issue with a BIRD system, somewhere between 04' and 08' !

Tags
batteries, battery, chassis, switch