Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Smile Very noisy Dometic roof AC's, but I may have a cure

Hi Folks, My rooftop a/c's are driveing DW and me nuts! There much too loud, especially the bedroom one. I got to thinkin about replaceing them and then I came up with an idea that might (I emphersize might) work.

Is it possible to have the front a/c unit ductwork, re-ducted to supply cool air the the rear bedroom only, and have the rear bedroom a/c re-ducted to supply cool air to the front living room & kitchen only?

Example: Turn on the front a/c when going to bed and the only noise you would hear is the whisper of air flowing out the ceiling registers and not the a/c compressor over head. Same thing goes for the front... you now turn on the bedroom a/c to cool the front of the coach and only have the rear compressor running to supply cool air to the front only.

So now the front a/c unit ONLY supplies the rear bedroom and the rear a/c unit ONLY supplies the front of the coach.

Is all of this possible? Or is it too much work for too little results?

I priced new ATWOOD A/C units a camping world and 2 new units (which are suppose to be super quiet) will set me back about $2,500.00 which is worth every penny to me if my (above) idea is unrealistic.

Any engineers out there or rv savy people that can advise me about re-routeing my a/c duct work?
Thanks in Advance!!!
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #2

I think you'll find that all the A/C are on a common duct work and not dedicate ducts to a specific A/C. To do what you are asking simple close off the supply vents in the unoccupied area. This will force the air to the other end of the coach.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Most likely the fan motors are the noise part. Replacing them is much less expensive and easy to do if you are mechanically inclined! I replace the 3 on our coach about 3 years ago and it made a world of difference. All of them had rough bearings which caused noise and vibration. Total cost was around $450 for all three fan motors.

Just a note on the ducts.. while ours has a common duct from front to back, there a baffles that partition off each A/C. Closing the vents on our coach only forces more air out the vents that are on that section of the coach.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It don't work that way on my coach. The front compressor forces air only to the front of the coach. The rear a/c only to the rear of the coach. Example ... the bedroom will get super hot when only the front a/c unit is on and all the bedroom ceiling registers are fully open. No air is forced out the bdrm registers.
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hmmm, thats strange. Mine also is ducted all the way thru. Just ran the front A/C with all but the bedroom duct's closed, closed the bedroom door, and lowered the temp in there 5* in a little over an hour.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
src

look at the fan i had a hornets nest on the fan put it out of balance
Old 06-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Before you do anything drastic, check the shrouds on the a/c units. They could be cracked or not secured tightly enough to prevent excess vibration. I found that to be the case on mine. A quick check is to remove the shroud, run the a/c, and see if there is a difference in the noise inside.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I find that with the front air running I do get some air through the rear vents in the bedroom. It seems to keep things cool enough to sleep in the evenings. I agree that the rear unit is too loud at night. I did recently replace the front air with a 15000 BTU unit.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
We've owned a Diplomat and a Windsor. Both had ducts that ran the full length of the coach. As others have pointed out you can run the rear unit and close the rear registers while leaving the fronts open thus forcing the cooled (or heated) air to the front and vice versa.

When taking delivery of our current coach we found the bedroom heat pump/AC was making a lot of noise. The tech who was correcting items on the punch list said that the heat pump/AC sits on a "gasket" of sorts which can get compressed to the point where you have the two hard surfaces of the heat pump/AC and roof top contacting one another. He loosened the mounting bolts slightly and the noise was dramatically reduced. The key word is "slightly" and before all the nit-pickers and worry-warts chime in, no, it does not leak.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm confused. If you have ducts that run the length of the coach and are connected to separate units how do you get two zone heating/cooling? Wouldn't the temperatures in the front and rear become the same?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I'm confused. If you have ducts that run the length of the coach and are connected to separate units how do you get two zone heating/cooling? Wouldn't the temperatures in the front and rear become the same?
Yeah, Tony, I know what you mean! Mine has a common duct that runs the length of the coach. My DW likes to have the A/C fan on "low" in the BR to help her sleep at night. It's pretty quiet in that mode.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Dometic reportedly has some type of noise reduction kit that might work for you. Check this link: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/nois...rs-198011.html
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ours is also ducted all the way through. We run the middle air at night and close some of the registers in the front of the coach.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
That's true, but the majority of the air comes out of the ducts closest to the unit thats running, and the thermostat for that zone is usually near by.
I'm happy mine is ducted straight thru, cause it seems the majority of the parks I stay at only have 30A, meening one AC only.

Tags
dometic, roof