Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #15

I've been having slide problems on my 2011 Vesta as well -- it has been to the dealer 6 times so far for the same issue. The problem always seems to be that one motor will work and the other stops, so the slide gets "cock-eyed" as it is trying to move, then gets stuck. It is currently at the dealer to install a new slide system -- hopefully that will correct the problem.
I did learn a neat trick if your slide gets stuck in or out -- and this goes a bit beyond what the manual will recommend, so read carefully:

1.Locate the motor synchro-box located behind the rear panel of the electric bay
2. Disconnect both motor plugs from the box.
So far, this is what the manual recommends -- but trying to push the slide manually at this point was impossible for 2 of us, it is just too heavy ... so read on.....

3. On each motor plug/harness that has been unplugged from the box, locate the red and black wires and remove them from the plug (it just takes a small screwdriver and is self-explanatory when you see the plug) These are the power and ground lines for the motors.
4. Use a small 12-18v electric battery (I used my portable drill battery) to juice up each harness, one at a time by placing each red and black wire on the positive and negative battery tab. The direction of the motor is determined by the battery polarity, so if the motor is turning the wrong way for you, reverse the 2 wires on the battery.
5. VERY IMPORTANT: only move the slide approximately 4" on each side, working left side, then right side, over and over until the slide is fully extended or retracted. If you attempt to move the slide more than 4" with each attempt, you may bend or damage your track.

I have used this method myself several times .... Monaco won't recommend it, I am sure, but when you're stuck ......
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I've been having slide problems on my 2011 Vesta as well -- it has been to the dealer 6 times so far for the same issue. The problem always seems to be that one motor will work and the other stops, so the slide gets "cock-eyed" as it is trying to move, then gets stuck. It is currently at the dealer to install a new slide system -- hopefully that will correct the problem.
I did learn a neat trick if your slide gets stuck in or out -- and this goes a bit beyond what the manual will recommend, so read carefully:

1.Locate the motor synchro-box located behind the rear panel of the electric bay
2. Disconnect both motor plugs from the box.
So far, this is what the manual recommends -- but trying to push the slide manually at this point was impossible for 2 of us, it is just too heavy ... so read on.....

3. On each motor plug/harness that has been unplugged from the box, locate the red and black wires and remove them from the plug (it just takes a small screwdriver and is self-explanatory when you see the plug) These are the power and ground lines for the motors.
4. Use a small 12-18v electric battery (I used my portable drill battery) to juice up each harness, one at a time by placing each red and black wire on the positive and negative battery tab. The direction of the motor is determined by the battery polarity, so if the motor is turning the wrong way for you, reverse the 2 wires on the battery.
5. VERY IMPORTANT: only move the slide approximately 4" on each side, working left side, then right side, over and over until the slide is fully extended or retracted. If you attempt to move the slide more than 4" with each attempt, you may bend or damage your track.

I have used this method myself several times .... Monaco won't recommend it, I am sure, but when you're stuck ......
Ok, luckily we have not had an issue with the slide on our 2011 but I'm a little puzzled by your post. My reading of the manual is to do as you say re accessing the electrical bay. Now, wouldn't you read the error code and do a manual override by inputting the correct code on the display. If that fails to work then you would disengage the motors by accessing them and lifting and turning them so you can physically push in the room? I guess what I'm asking is by disconnecting the wires in the bay the gears on the motors are still engaged? By the way, you have come up with a very creative work around!! Impressive.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #17

I've just re read our Vesta manual and I misspoke in my last post. Indeed the manual does not reference error codes and directs owners to disconnect the motors in the bay rather than the motors up in the room. It clearly says that the motors will be able to turn free when this done. The problem is that the Lippert web site is telling us something very different re troubleshooting their slide out.
Has any Vesta owner successfully manually retracted the room following the manual directions?
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #18

Dave: I have tried to manually slide the room according to the directions given in the Vesta owner's manual, and there is no way 2 people can move that room in / out (at least 2 men of average strength) ... we couldn't even get the room to move a few inches. IT IS THAT HEAVY.
I have the directions for synching the motors with the synchro-box, but my synchro-box wasn't working correctly, so the battery jump-start of the motors was the only way I could get the room to move. While waiting for Lippert to send the new slide parts that are being installed, I needed to use my MH, so I used this method and it worked beautifully.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide