Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #1

Just joined because I'm aquiring an older rear engine Monaco. Curious if there are other owners of vintage Monaco's. The one I'll be picking up is a 1987 Monaco Monte Carlo. It has a rear engine gas 454 and is 36' long.

I see mention sprinkled around about different owners with older Monaco's mentioning information but haven't found a concentrated gathering spot. From what I've seen the 80's Monacos really seemed to set the tone of the company moving into the luxury coach market.

I wasn't specifically looking for a Monaco but after seeing the pics it was obvious it was a quality manufactured RV and that's when I studied Monaco's more.
Chandler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #2

Just joined because I'm aquiring an older rear engine Monaco. Curious if there are other owners of vintage Monaco's. The one I'll be picking up is a 1987 Monaco Monte Carlo. It has a rear engine gas 454 and is 36' long.

I see mention sprinkled around about different owners with older Monaco's mentioning information but haven't found a concentrated gathering spot. From what I've seen the 80's Monacos really seemed to set the tone of the company moving into the luxury coach market.

I wasn't specifically looking for a Monaco but after seeing the pics it was obvious it was a quality manufactured RV and that's when I studied Monaco's more.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome, Chandler!

I don't know how many owners of older Monaco's lurk on this board, but odds are that some do. I'd LOVE to see pictures of yours, after you pick it up.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Chandler1...
Welcome to iRV2! I hope you decide to join the Monaco Forum also (just say "Karma please" to get it!)...you will find everyone here pretty darned friendly and knowledgable too.
I agree with Robin... the vintage folks don't speak up ...but I am sure they are out there.

We all look forward to seeing photos of your new rig!

Again...welcome to iRV2!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #5

Karma please
Old 03-30-2008, 07:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
That crazy "Monaco Pixie Dust" has been sprinkled over your name and you are now an Official member of this Forum!
Welcome!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Still happy owners of a 1991 Monaco Signature

We got a great little dog, Mei, at the pound. Lissa says she wants to take her "in her house everywhere". Welcome to RV'ing. After looking at about 30 units with some experienced RV'ers, we decided that the older affordable Monaco's we saw seemed to be real solid.

We found a very well-kept '91 L10 Cummins/Allison 2spd transaxel/4spd tranny, diesel pusher with 81k miles for $18k. It has good bones. It needed tires, dash AC repair, and later much more stuff (furnace relay, battery isolator, inverter, hydraulic fan motor- finding that thing was a trip). Not to mention a tow car that cost more than the coach (2012 Subaru Outback).

Funny things happened, like turning off and removing the ignition key and the coach continues to run (miswired relay for "Aux Radiator Fan"), and cabinet doors coming apart in your hands (easy- clamp and glue). I knew the expenses would mount up but we are "in for the long haul", pun intended.

We have missed out on a couple of planned trips, but are looking forward to finally proving out 'Chicken', as we like to call her. We spent one night in her, but awoke to 38 degrees F with a failed furnace and dead batteries. We have logged about 300 miles so far, with almost all taking her between repair shops. Still, it has been an adventure we have enjoyed and cataloged at our therapy blog.

I am interested in other folk's experiences with their older machines. We might have some common ground worth sharing. Any suggestions or insights? I found iRV2 looking for answers and have really appreciated the technical expertise you are all willing to share. Thank you.
wlstaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

Safarifriends : To promote the exchange of information regarding SAFARI MOTORHOMES.
http://www.safari-international.org/
SafariCoaches : Sharing about Safari Coaches lifestyle
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote