Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Vinyl or Acrylic for Slidetopper Replacement

We've decided to replace all four slidetoppers due to tears and shrinkage. We're going with the Stone Vos product (appears to be the "gold standard" from reading all the posts).

I suppose it's like "boxers or briefs", but for those who have done this, what has been your preference for the material chosen...vinyl or acrylic???

I have received samples of each and have considered the mold/mildew issue if you roll them up wet after a rain and don't let them air out. Vinyl seems easier to scrub clean. The acrylic appears to be pretty waterproof. (Yes, I know that the main function of these buggers is to keep leaves and other miscellaneous crap off the slide roofs themselves.) The vinyl has a little for "body" to it. The price is the same.

What say you?
Barryc737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #2

We have a vinyl patio awning, but I don't know its age since we bought the coach used. The problem we have is that the side edges of the vinyl curl up and it has gotten so bad that the awning will not roll up straight and I have to force the leg over while rolling up to get the awning closed. It seems to me that that would be a problem with toppers as well.

The plan is to replace with acrylic.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Acrylic from the factory...Acrylic replacements from Stone Vos...no regrets.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you want the best, get the acrylic from Stone Vos. If you're willing to settle for less than the best, get vinyl! See how simple this is!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #5

A page on the Stone Vos Web site compares the two materials. I also spoke with Ingrid at Stone Vos, and came away convinced that the vinyl was a better match for the Northeast cold weather where we live.

Just last winter I experienced the unhappy occasion of freezing the slide toppers to the rollers, which completely prevented the deployment of the slides. Although things eventually thawed enough, it was a worrisome time. I would have welcomed the cold-weather resistance that the Stone Vos Migliore vinyl fabric is said to have.

If I was camping south of North Carolina all the time, I'd pick the acrylic.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced mine with the fabric (matched original) from Stone Vos. The have stretched and sagged a bit from water retention.
I got sone samples of the acrylic in a box of the guardian shields i bougt from them. Impressive looking stuff. Wishing I had done that instead.....now....
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
I replaced mine with the fabric (matched original) from Stone Vos. The have stretched and sagged a bit from water retention.
I got sone samples of the acrylic in a box of the guardian shields i bougt from them. Impressive looking stuff. Wishing I had done that instead.....now....
Hi, John! Just to be sure I'm on the same page with you....
You first got the fabric (acrylic) and now wish you had chosen the vinyl? Ingrid is recommending the vinyl.
Barryc737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryc737 View Post
You first got the fabric (acrylic) and now wish you had chosen the vinyl? Ingrid is recommending the vinyl.
Barry, I have ordered and received the Migliore vinyl from Ingrid at Stonevos. I have not had a chance to install them yet. I can offer the Chris highly recommended the vinyl at the gathering in Tampa back in February. He said even the high end coaches were praising it for all its advantages. I figured if Chris says it's best, good enough for me. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll get it installed and can offer my thoughts then.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryc737 View Post
If the acrylic is what they call the fabric, then...yes. the vinyl is tough looking stuff.
I know Mike Hughes did vinyl (different brand ) and speaks highly of them.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #10

Love my SV acrylic, clean well, no UV issues, install back QZ, right John!
I recently tighten an extra turn on each due to stretch.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, slide, vinyl