Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
VIP SMartwheel controller

Yesterday all Smartwheel functions stopped working, cruise, horn, headlights, cruise, etc. My Dynasty has the "PC" series using the SM 209 controller.

did some checking and testing ...
- The "Headlamp" wires, pins 1 and 2 on the J12 connector were burned. (pins 3&4, for the clearance and running lights did not seem affected. VIP calls this the "Markerlamp" circuit.)
- After I pried off the J12 connector, I dIscovered the board section at that connector point was discolored.
- I went thru the first steps of the VIP testing procedure to verify the controller had power and that the digital signal was getting to it.
- Plugged in all connectors except the J12 and checked... wipers, cruise, horn were OK.... but no headlights or clearance lights... (I did not want to take the chance of plugging in anything from the J12).

I took some current measurements to see how much the headlight circuit was drawing. That turned out to be a respectable 6.8a, however the VIP spec for the SM209 controller is a more respectable 20a.

When I spoke to the VIP tech support rep this AM and reported this he suggested that there might be a short (intermittent?). I suggested bypassing the controller with a separate 20 amp relay and he said that is what VIP recommends. I reviewed the method and connections with him and hooked it up and headlights worked; did same for the markerlamps..... so... we'll see what happens from here. [for those interested: wires to pins 6 and 12 respectively on the "J11" connector are cut and used to trigger the relays for Headlight and Markerlamp circuits].
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am having intermittent use of the smart wheel VIP with windshield wipers and cruise. Resetting the Spartan wheel decoder in fuse box area: unplug black large to small; then unplug white large to small returns these functions. The horn, headlamp & marker flash do not work. Funny, I can turn the key off and the horn, both city and air works??? Any thoughts out there would be greatly appreciated
2007 Newmar Essex
Any ole Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine works OK except for the wipers. The variable switch usually one works fine, the low-high usually doesn't unless I start with the variable one, then maybe, the low-high works but usually not.
Probably should reset the controller and check the pins for corrosion.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Joe, I think you have a different model than my controller, however the same kind of thing may be happening. Mechanical relays don't last forever, especially ones which pass a lot of current. I figured there's got to be a lot of heat generated inside that box with all the relays so eventually 'something's got to give'. I was surprised to see how small those "20 amp" headlight control relays were inside the VIP box ... but... they had lasted 11 years!

VIP tech support may have a way to bypass the wiper and cruise relays, I do not know.

After I did this bypass back in '14 (using external 30amp type 87(a) relays by the way) I bought and put in a new VIP control box anyway, I never have gone back to the little relays inside the VIP box. Still working on the 87a's the same since '14.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks! I'm going to give Spartan a call on Monday. Still blows my mind that the horn works if I turn the ignition key to off, but will not function in the on position. I like your relays solution. Appreciate the feedback!
Old 08-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

All the headlight current passes through the smart wheel controller, and the connectors may be marginal and prone to overheating and failure. Mine failed on a cross country trip and I lost my headlights. My solution was to move the high current for the headlights to separate relays and use the SmartWheel as the signal source to control those relays.
The connectors are also sensitive to coming loose from coach vibration and should be periodically be re-seated.

Dick L. '04 Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

My VIP wheel light is on all the time even when the key is off. I can't find the controller.

Does anyone knows where it is on a Dynasty?
Old 09-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #8

Just traced the 4 wires from the wheel and they end up at the CCM (multiplex cpu) at the front run box. I guess Monaco connected the wheel directly to the multiplex system.

I have 4 wires, Data+, Data-, Smartwheel ground, Smartwheel +.

Any Idea if I can wire it to the Ign switch so it has no power until I turn the key to ON?

The wheel buttons have their lights on all the time.....
Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Any ole Joe View Post
Thanks! I'm going to give Spartan a call on Monday. Still blows my mind that the horn works if I turn the ignition key to off, but will not function in the on position. I like your relays solution. Appreciate the feedback!

Solved the horn and smart wheel problem! After 100 pages of wiring diagrams, talking with Newmar and Spartan, testing the clock spring and controller... it was a weak ground under the horn pad! Crazy, there was enough ground for horn to work with the key off, but not on. After running a jumper to strengthen the ground, everything on the smart wheel now works perfectly. Just thought I would pass this along... it is not always the clock spring or controller or wiring... sometimes it is as simple as a tricky ground. Cheers!