Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
VMSpc Application For 2003 Windsor

Am considering installing a VMSpc in my 2003 Windsor with a Cummins ISL370. I spoke to Silverleaf this morning to ask a couple of questions.

Android compatibility is not available now but they are working on it. A Windows PC is the platform for displaying the information.

Current models do not have exhaust temperature capability because it is not supplied by the ECM/TCM.

My questions for this group are:

1. Where did you find the plug on your 2003'ish Windsor/Imperial to connect the Silverleaf unit? Was it a 6-pin or 9-pin? I think that the J1939 protocol was not yet available for this era engine, thus leaving the J1708 as the then-current standard. "Think" being the operative word here. Does it matter? (Am not at the coach at this moment.)

2. For the PC wizards - has anyone used a "second" or "remote" monitor? I have a 17" laptop but that is way too big for mounting anywhere near the dash. There was a tip on one of the Silveleaf forums suggesting that a PC laptop could be set up to display one application on the laptop's original monitor, say MS Streets & Trips, and VMSpc displayed on a second monitor. The idea here would be to get a small (7" - 10") monitor for the VMSpc.

Don't know how that would effect operation. Do you need mouse or keyboard functionality while underway?

3. Continuing on with the PC - has anyone combined the VMSpc and back-up camera display and GPS and etc display?

Thanks in advance,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #2

I have ran vmspc for 10 years mine is so old I have a serial to usb converter. I have a 15" compaq that sits in front of my wife and I can see the eng monitor if I need to, she can see the ms streets trips maps. You should find the big round plug behind the panel under your left arm below the trans selector. Don
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #3

Thanks, Don. Are both applications displayed simultaneously on the same screen?
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #4

OK. I think I've tracked down the engine diagnostic port-socket-plug.

Looks like a 6-pin. It's in an easily accessible place too.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
WindsorDave.....I'll probably be criticized for this, but I like to keep things simple. Yes, you can run two monitors with the VMSPC program, but to me it requires a bunch of turning on and setting up of equipment every time you want to use it.

I kept it simple by buying a small laptop. They're pretty cheap now days. I bought a small HP because I was able to easily order a 12 volt power cord for it. I ran the power cord under the dash to a 12volt receptacle on the other side of the center drawers in my dash.

By doing this, I can control everything from the laptop. I don't have to go to a remote computer to make changes, turn the thing on and off or clear the trip odometers. Mine doesn't require me to run the inverter to run the laptop.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I run VMSpc on a 10" NetBook An Aspire D255. It runs fine, Some times I have it in split screen with MS S&T with GPS, but most time full screen. I can quick toggle between them with an ALT/TAB
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #7

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I'm coming to the realization that another laptop is going to be needed. I read your original write-up on the VMSpc when you first posted it, Don. It has had me thinking about one ever since.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dave.....Most people who start using the VMSpc program say that they like it so much, they will not even move their coach to get fuel without firing up the program. I'm one of them. If my coach is going to move, the VMSpc program is on. That's why it's important to make it easy.

I forgot part of your question. Cummins doesn't look at exhaust gas temps via their computer, so the VMSpc program can't look either. What Cummins does look at is Intake Manifold temps. Mine run approximately 25-28 degrees above outside temp. You can actually tell what outside temps are within a couple of degrees.

Even though it may not be as informative as exhaust gas temps, it's still giving you a good indication of what is coming out of your exhaust, flowing through your charge air cooler and back into your intake manifold.

We were climbing the Baker grade into Las Vegas last week (long and steeper near the end) in 105 degree weather. I was watching the intake temp. I have my digital gauge with a small indicator button in the corner set up to go from green to yellow at 130 degrees and red at 140 degrees. I'm not sure what a really dangerous temp is for the ISL, but I rarely see it hit the yellow (130-140). I was surprised to see it hit 145. Even though my coolant was only at 199-205, I downshifted, brought the rpm's up and cooled it down some. So it works well for watching those temps.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post

I see that you're monitoring HP and Torque. Most people don't realize that there is no way for the VMSpc to read actual figures. According to tech's at Silver Leaf the data is simply in the programming and taken from the manufacturers published dyno runs. Kind of fun to watch but it doesn't really mean much.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is there anyway to feed the Aladdin Jr trip and outside temp data to the VMSpc system?
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mr_D....According to Silverleaf's tech that does the RV shows, the information isn't that far off. It's definitely not giving you dyno info. The three screens in yellow, engine load, HP and torque really do good you some good info. I know what HP and torque I'm running when climbing. I can look at the three windows and know if I'm maxed out, have a little left or need to back off the throttle or shift. I've been watching those screens for years and do a lot of driving by what they tell me. I can tell I have a headwind, that's not visible or felt in the coach, by the HP and instant mpg window. Others may not use it like I do, but I watch everything the coach is doing on that screen.

itdave.....I believe they sell a tire monitor and temp sensor kit that can be added. I know they sell a program for the Alladdin Jr system to replace it when it fails. I think it's pretty pricey.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Mr_D....According to Silverleaf's tech that does the RV shows, the information isn't that far off. It's definitely not giving you dyno info. The three screens in yellow, engine load, HP and torque really do good you some good info. I know what HP and torque I'm running when climbing. I can look at the three windows and know if I'm maxed out, have a little left or need to back off the throttle or shift. I've been watching those screens for years and do a lot of driving by what they tell me. I can tell I have a headwind, that's not visible or felt in the coach, by the HP and instant mpg window. Others may not use it like I do, but I watch everything the coach is doing on that screen.

itdave.....I believe they sell a tire monitor and temp sensor kit that can be added. I know they sell a program for the Alladdin Jr system to replace it when it fails. I think it's pretty pricey.
I never said it wasn't accurate, just that it's not a true reading.
Yes, there is an interface for Pressure Pro, pricy though at about the same cost as the PP monitor. They added it just after I quit being a Pressure Pro dealer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #13

OK. I went ahead and bought a small notebook 10.1" screen PC. Found a 12 VDC charger for it and fabricated a tray on which to mount the PC. Now it's ready to be hooked to power. I've verified that the Silverleaf-to-USB cord via their box works and the PC can talk to it.

I want to pick up power out of the front run bay fuse panel. There are a couple of unused fuse sockets that would be nice to use but it's not clear what the best way to attach a wire would be. Anyone ever tap into the board via solder or fuse socket? Notice the path from fuse socket #32 to an eyelet on the board. I'd love to solder the +12VDC wire into that eyelet since it's ignition-switched power.

Ideas?

TIA
Old 08-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I run a wire off the lug labeled chassis battery. Put an inline fuse. That's what I do when I need a line.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote