Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 01:08 AM   #1

Voltage issue on my 06 Signature Series

New to the forum and am in dire need of some assistance with my 2006 Signature series. I am having issues with the voltage entering my RV. When my generator is running and I introduce a load from the microwave, Ac unit, or Inverter/Charger the voltage on leg 1 jumps up to 135vac and shuts my Auto Power Transfer Switch down. My Aladdin screen says AC Voltage Leg1 High. Any ideas where to look? I just replaced the $750 control board in my generator per the local RV dealer and it did not fix my problem.

Thank you
Branden
Naatv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 AM   #2

Here's what my Aladdin shows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5527.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	159983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4976.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	159984  

Old 04-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like there may be a bad neutral connection somewhere in that line. Just a guess.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

Your Aladdin is showing 131 and 119 for your two lines. When you take most or all of the loads off, are you showing around 125 on both legs?

When the neutral circuit has a higher impedance due to such things as bad cables or loose or separated connections, the voltages on one leg will be impacted by loads on the other leg. The higher the load on one leg, the more that legs voltage will drop and the other will rise. And, as you've seen, your protection takes over and removes your power supply source.

If you do not have that problem when connected to shore power, I would expect to find a loose connection on your neutral circuit, either at the generator end or at the transfer switch end.

If you verify those to be tight, then I would check at both the transfer switch end and at the breaker panel end of the conductor tying those together.

I might add that if you have the same problem when on shore power, it would isolate your problem to the circuit between your transfer switch and your breaker panel.

I really believe that it will be the generator to transfer switch circuit that is in trouble, as the voltage and current measurements for your protective system gets its values in the transfer switch module.

I hope that you will post what you find. Be very careful, as you will be dealing with 120 V circuits. Please shut down your generator and remove any shore power before touching any of those connections.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #5

I had similar, and the campground guy opened the pedestal, tightened the connections on the breaker, and all was well
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #6

You all were very helpful, today after a few more hours of troubleshooting I was able to find a neutral that was going into my Inverter/Charger that was barely in its socket and was not even clamped by the threaded bolt. Once I resecured the wire everything is A ok! I have been battling this issue for a few weeks now. Thank you all for the time you spent informing on which direction to start
Old 04-29-2017, 10:37 PM   #7

Can anyone direct me in what to do when I try plugging in an external generator to my shore power code and receive this message?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5540.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	160094  
Old 04-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #8

Are you connecting to that external generator via a 50-amp, 30-amp, 20-amp or 15-amp plug? And if its a 30-amp, 20-amp or 15-amp, what type of adapter are you using to get from your coach's 50-amp male to the female on the generator?

Your coach electrical protection system needs to see two hot legs, as well as a neutral and a ground that have continuity between them. Your power supply ground is also the source for the neutral for the phase conductors. Your system is not seeing that the ground source is present.

My first guess is that the problem is with either the receptacle on the portable generator or with whatever adapter you are using to get from your 50-amp male to the female on the generator. I would not expect the neutral and the ground to be connected together in the adapter. It should be in the generator.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naatv1 View Post
You all were very helpful, today after a few more hours of troubleshooting I was able to find a neutral that was going into my Inverter/Charger that was barely in its socket and was not even clamped by the threaded bolt. Once I resecured the wire everything is A ok! I have been battling this issue for a few weeks now. Thank you all for the time you spent informing on which direction to start
Sad that the repair person you engaged and replaced the control board to the tune of $$$ did not recognize a bad nuetral situation... It's a not uncommon senario that should have been aware by a competent service tech, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As to the ground problem with the external generator, there sometimes an option on how to handle the ground/nuetral connection in the generator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #11

Many Inverter generators have a floating neutral. That may be what's causing that message.

You can make or buy an adaptor that fixs it.

Here is a link to some info.
http://ricksdiy.com/generators/porta...-honda-yamaha/
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Sad that the repair person you engaged and replaced the control board to the tune of $$$ did not recognize a bad nuetral situation... It's a not uncommon senario that should have been aware by a competent service tech, IMHO.
Very much agreed, unfortunately we are in a day and age where techs like to throw parts at something rather than diagnose the issue properly.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Many Inverter generators have a floating neutral. That may be what's causing that message.

You can make or buy an adaptor that fixs it.

Here is a link to some info.
Portable Inverter Generator Neutral Ground Bonding Plug Honda Yamaha
Mine is an Inverter generator so that sounds like it could be my issue. Is there a plug out there designed for this or do you have to make one yourself? Right now I am using yellow adapters to adapt my 50 amp into a 30 amp and than another yellow adapter that adapts 30 down to 15. I basically just want to be able to run my charger every once and awhile off of my 2000 generator rather than firing up the 12.5 just to run the charger
Old 05-01-2017, 03:55 AM   #14

Here is one
http://tweetys.com/progressive-indus...YTsaAol88P8HAQ
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote