Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #1

Vorad Died, How To Engage Cruise Control?

The Vorad died. How do I get the cruise control to engage? It doesn't want to engage with the Vorad turned off or in alarm.

Thanks!
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #2

Several things here. Have you pulled the fuse for the VORAD. With the fuse pulled it should not stop your cruise control from working. The fuse should be in the front run box. Just for the fun of it with the engine running check and make sure your brake lights are not on all the time. You can also check that at night while running down the highway and looking at your toad in the rear camera. The reason I say this is because I had the same problem and it was because something made my brake lights come on all the time. We can get into that more if they are on.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

I pulled the fuse from the Vorad and the cruise still won't engage. The brake lights are operating normally.

As a side note; the Vorad sensor on the left side died a few weeks ago. I unplugged that sensor and the rest of the Vorad system continued to work. This past Sunday while driving with the cruise engaged the front Vorad sensor died giving a Vorad fault alarm and disengaging the cruise. The "Cruise" light on the dash was still on and will turn on or off with the steering wheel switch. I stopped and pulled the Vorad fuse after turning off the Vorad did not allow the cruise control to engage.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #4

Is this a Signature with a Detroit? If so what year?
Here is something else I would try. Plug that side antenna back in a put the fuse back and see if it resets and works. Disconnecting that antenna will cause it to fault out. If it doesn't work then try pulling the fuse again and see if the cruise control comes back. There is a trick way from the VORAD control box to also disconnect it from the cruise control but my notes are at home and I am away racing. If you have a Detroit motor then there are a couple of possibilities but I need to talk to you on the phone.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I realize this is an older thread but I have the same issue and I do not see the final resolution?
The left sensor on my Eaton Vorad has a fault and of course the cruise control will not engage. The forward and right sensors are still operational and beep when a car is in their zone.
I can still use the cruise control for fast idle, but not going down the road. Also, the Aladdin readout says "Cruise Off".
I would like to repair the Eaton Vorad as long as its not crazy expensive.

Where do I go from here?
Where is the Eaton Vorad processor located?
Thanks
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vorad on mine is in the driver side console along with the power window and mirror controller.

Mine has been intermittant, mostly working but once in a while it quits. It will usually work after I turn the engine off for a bit. While replacing the power window motor assembly I found a loose ground wire on the Vorad control box and am hopeful that was the problem.

I replaced the front radar antenna 2 summers ago and the left side antenna seems intermittant now which does not affect the cruise control.

I assume you have the Troubleshooting Guide?

Bendix was no help.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vito,a, on my (exact same coach) the control box is in the drivers side arm rest. I had to get to it thru the lower panel. I have troubleshooting guide and manual if you need them....

Dave
Old 01-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info.
Dave, I'm not understanding how you accessed the processor through the lower panel. Can I just remove the plastic switch panel?

I read through the trouble shooting guide. I need to retrieve the fault codes, but I already know I have a fault from the left sensor. My cruise control will not work without the sensor.

I used a pressure washer to remove the 3M film last week and the vibration may have damaged the left sensor. The film was next to the sensor, so I placed masking tape over it to protect it from water, but in hindsight should have removed it.

Guessing I'll need a new left sensor.
Where do I purchase one and about how expensive are they?
Thanks
Old 01-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
VORAD Trouble shooting Guide

vito.a: Would you be kind enough to either post or send me using my email address the trouble shooting guide?

Mine seems to be working, but my cruise control "Cancel" button on the steering wheel seldom works. Any suggestions ho to remedy this?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vito.a, my control box is inside the drivers armrest and I got to it by removing the pocket on the armrest side by my ankle. I removed the screw covers and screws and the pocket came off. Moved tons of wires down there and the control box was mounted to the wall. I took it off to have it updated as Mike Canter suggested years ago. I have not heard if that can be still done or who to buy parts from. Let me know if you find somebody to buy parts from....

Dave
Old 01-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I just checked the codes. Reminds me of OBD1 on older cars. Not an exact science.
I have no active codes. I have a 33 (VBUS) and occasionally a 35 (antenna assembly) set in inactive codes.
Difficult to understand.
I restarted the system and the constant fault light on the drivers display is gone, but the left sensor display on the left windshield pillar still has a constant red fault light.

I checked the fault codes again with the same results. The 35 only shows up occasionally.

I still need to run the Fault Isolation procedures for the left sensor.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I ran the left sensor diagnostics tonight. Voltage from pin A to B is 2.11v and voltage from pin A to C is 7.33v. Both are within the normal range, so the CPU is sending the proper voltage to the sensor.

I also ran the Fault codes again. No active codes. Inactive codes are 11, 33, 34, and 35. None of these for the left sensor!
I disconnected the left sensor and reconnected it but it still fails.

I disconnected the right sensor and when I turn the system on, it comes on and runs the startup self checks and then beeps and fails. The left sensor does not beep after the power on self checks, it comes on and stays with a red fault light. No fault light on the driver display.

I guess the next step is to borrow a sensor, or swap the sensors from left to right and see if the fault on the left clears.

I called Bendix today and went through a long series of recordings and left a message. Sure wish I could find Rick Youngblood!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I finally got through to the Bendix Tech line (800-247-2725). They specialize in air brake systems and when I said Vorad he went blank. I asked about Rick Youngblood (the old Eaton tech) and he did not know him.
He put me on hold and then transferred me to Marty Frans who is on vacation.
I was hoping for someone that can run diagnostics on the CPU and left sensor.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
http://www.bendix.com/media/document...rtedbybcvs.pdf

Maybe this will get you some help.
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control