Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Voyager VOM-784CT

Need some help to try to diagnose why the "Camera 1" will not work all the time. For awhile it would come on when it was in the mood but now it just stopped coming on. We do not have any problem with the "left turn camera view" and the "right turn camera view" just the "rear camera view." We had it looked at and were told that the camera needed to be replaced but that didn't make sense since the left and right work just fine. I took the monitor out of the dash and checked the connections but it just doesn't look like anything could be loose the way the connections are made. Any help would be appreciated.

daleworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Scandinavian Chapter

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have that problem with the right side camera. I have found out that the problem is a "loose" plug/connection where our 3 camera wires are joint into one (just before they go into the Voyager control box). If I "wriggle" connection no 3 the camera comes on and works for say half a day.

The said connection consists of 2 plugs that are joint together, but the only way to get to my wires will be to cut off plugs and rejoin the wires (4 of them) with another suitable connection. I will get around to that one day when i feel brave "

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
I have that problem with the right side camera. I have found out that the problem is a "loose" plug/connection where our 3 camera wires are joint into one (just before they go into the Voyager control box). If I "wriggle" connection no 3 the camera comes on and works for say half a day.

The said connection consists of 2 plugs that are joint together, but the only way to get to my wires will be to cut off plugs and rejoin the wires (4 of them) with another suitable connection. I will get around to that one day when i feel brave "
I hate to sound stupid…..but this is totally over my head!! Where is the "Voyager control box?" Is that the connections on the back of the monitor? You said 2 plugs….where are these both located? Thanks for any pointers you can give me.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Scandinavian Chapter

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I apologize for being unclear about this.

There are wires coming from 3 cameras in our system. These 3 wires are joined up into 1 wire that goes to a control- or junction box that sends the image to the Voyager video screen. Our box is labeled "ALADDIN video coach system monitor".

About 6 to 8 inches (give or take) before the 3 wires are turned into one, we have connectors or plugs. These are the ones I am talking about. In our RV they are located under a large panel in the dashboard just in front of the steeringwheel.

I hope this make sense.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's a link to some repair parts.

RVCams Backup Cameras and Rear View Systems: Accessories -- extra cables, etc.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleworth View Post
Need some help to try to diagnose why the "Camera 1" will not work all the time. For awhile it would come on when it was in the mood but now it just stopped coming on. We do not have any problem with the "left turn camera view" and the "right turn camera view" just the "rear camera view." We had it looked at and were told that the camera needed to be replaced but that didn't make sense since the left and right work just fine. I took the monitor out of the dash and checked the connections but it just doesn't look like anything could be loose the way the connections are made. Any help would be appreciated.
Dale,

Each camera is a separate device in the overall camera system. Think of the camera system as a 4 part system, the monitor, left camera, right camera, and rear camera. One of the cameras can be faulty or have a bad cable connection without affecting the operation of the other two cameras and the monitor. Often it seems that the rear camera is the problem child on motorhomes. My first suspect would be a connection problem in the cable that runs from the monitor to the rear camera. I am not familiar with your coach but the first thing I would suggest is to get a ladder and remove the rear camera and inspect the cable connector. Disconnect the camera from the long cable and spray the contacts with contact cleaner. There should be a connector about three feet from the camera. You may have to pull up on the cable to reach the connector. There is usually a lot of slack in the cable. On ours the cable hangs down inside the rear cap. One of the reasons the rear cameras give so much trouble is the long cable run tends to drop the camera supply voltage down. The power for the rear camera actually comes from the monitor at the dash. With 60 feet of cable at 12 VDC it does not take much resistance in a connection to cause a problem.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #7

Thanks for all the advice. I am not at an area where I can check this out right now but will try your advice and let you know what happens.
Thanks again for the help.
Happy & Safe Travels!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #8

When I was having an issue with the rear camera the dealer replaced the camera but it only worked for a little while then quit. I replaced the cable front to back but would still have rear camera issues. The rear cable connection on the back of the monitor is different from the other three due to the tilt function on the rear camera. I talked to RV Cams and asked if they made an adapter that would allow me to connect any of the other three inputs in to the rear camera position to allow me to verify if the monitor was at fault or if I still had a camera/cable issue. They do have an adapter for this I purchased it to test monitor, monitor was OK the newly replaced camera was faulty. RV cams replaced under warranty, even though the dealer had made the purchase from them. no longer any rear camera issues.