Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 AM   #1905

Monaco Owners Club
Van, I did feel the sweeping curves were better and that would also translate to lane to lane panic stops. I can check the toe in my driveway. From looking underneath I don't see any way to change camber or caster. When I drive straight it will do so then gradually drift off to the right until I pull the wheel and get it back in a straight line. It rarely drifts to the left which I guess is a good think. I have a little race car that did the same thing and made some adjustments to the toe and it solved the problem. I have read somewhere that more toe can be added but wears tires sooner but since they last so long anyways and we will never mileage them out it and it might be worth a try. I will see what I have laying around to make a watts pivot for up front. I actually have a little room for some X bars behind the generator. Not sure if that would make much of a difference. Thanks for your insight.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #1906
YC1

Ditto on saving the alignment money. I paid for two of them. They installed shims between the axle and frame. The slight improvement was it did not pull to the right so much. I have not added the watts kit yet. I was an early experimenter and added the thousands of dollars for shocks, comfort valves, ride height, etc. I currently have the X bars. I will add the watts setup but a new set of tires is in order first.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #1907

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Folks,

I've been somewhat quiet so I thought I would chime in a little.

Did a TRW swap for a Glen (2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38PDQ). He had had his Sheppard Blue Printed at Redhead but still complained of excessive play in the wheel. Said handling wasn't any better after the Blue Printing. Sure enough, when Glen showed up I checked and he had more than 3" of play.

In addition to the gearbox play I found the three 7/8" bolts holding the gearbox to the frame could be turned by hand allowing the gearbox to shift forward and aft a small amount. I also found the castle nut on the tie rod end to be no more than hand tight. After swapping the gearbox and test driving Glen reported back that the difference in driving was "night and day" and that he has decided stop thinking about selling the coach.

Glen's coach now has front and rear watts, rear cross bars, TRW, Koni's and Motion Control Units. Drives like a dream. Just a shame that it took so long and so much money to finally get it drivable.

Talked with Robert at Henderson's today. Said they have done about 6 TRW swaps so far and are very happy with the results. Today they have a 2014 Knight, 36' I think. Claimed it was as road wild as any they have ever driven. They are looking to put front and rear watts and rear cross bars in addition to the TRW.

Was told today that Roadmaster in Vancouver has provided Henderson's with a drawing of their proposed watts links using polyurethane bushings instead of tie rod ends or heim joints. Be interesting to see how that plays out. Said the reason for the poly bushings was so that they would not be dependent on a third party manufacturer and not that it was an improvement in design.

Shipped out front watts and rear cross bars to Jim in New York for his 2012 40' Knight. Also have a set of rear cross bars ready for shipping to user cpr_vbg for his 2005 Holiday Rambler scepter.

Ordered materials for 10 more front watts kits. That will keep me busy for a while.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #1908

Mike Hughes--great to hear from you again! Hope your new biz setup is working out well. I will keep referring folks to you.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:46 AM   #1909

Fellow Campers,

Van Williams fixed my wandering with his custom built and installed Watts linkage.

This coach has pulled right since I bought it three years ago. It came with brand new Michelins. A week ago I had the steer axle wheels and tires swapped. It then pulled to the left. Visual inspetion showed no defects.

Yeterday I had the tag and steer tires switched. NO MORE PULL! Drives wonderfully.

Bob and Sunny Penland
'08 Dynasty
2016 Explorer for a toad
Treefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #1910

Monaco Owners Club
Mike Hughes, when can you work me in?
Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #1911

Monaco Owners Club
Mike-
Glad to hear things are getting back to normal for you. I'm the guy from Arizona with the 08 Scepter with air leveling. The rear setup for a watts link is identical to Happycarz (08 Camelot). The front setup is not. Please you let me know if and when you can fabricate and install the links. I'll bring the coach to you. Thanks, Terry.

2008 Holiday Rambler Sceptor PDQ
exlaminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #1912

Monaco Owners Club
Terry Lt,

Just to confirm we are to investigate a front watts for your coach weekend after next. Not sure the outcome having never looked at a Beaver Monterey.

Terry (exlaminator)

Lets look at your Camelot after Terry's Beaver. I'll PM you when ready. I do have an idea for a bolt on kit for the front and hopefully it works out.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #1913

Help!

I bought a 2005 34' Knight last summer up in the Seattle area. My Wife and I decided to replace the 1998 31' Minnie Winnie Class C when this deal presented itself. Our first trip was a straight shot down 395 from Washington to Ridgecrest California. (our home base)... As is described in this thread, The trip was a knight mare (we even though of naming the coach that but why tempt Karma). It sounds like you folks have done all the heavy lifting and have worked out what I need to keep the beast between the lines on the road.

Mike
How do I go about getting in line for the Fix? Can I come over to check out your operation as I am just an hour north of you. My wife won't go anywhere in the coach until it is fixed... Now you know who is the brains of the outfit.

Thanks
Reno
ShortKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #1914

Monaco Owners Club
Hello Reno,

Sure, come on down and see what we've been up to.

PM me when you are ready and I'll send my address and phone.

PS. I've never seen a 34' Knight. Is that on an RR8R chassis?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #1915

Monaco Owners Club
Mike Hughes, I know we can do the X bars by welding tabs onto the brackets of the trailing arms or bolting on some tabs using the existing bolts on the trailing arms. What I hoped is that we can "investigate a front watts for your coach" and or a rear watts. I think if we do the front watts we would need to weld in a bracket to the rear of the front suspension to attach the watts to.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:11 PM   #1916

Monaco Owners Club
Mike Hughes, I emailed you a picture of the trailing arm.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:58 AM   #1917
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
2005 Knight 34' has a RR8
http://www.monacocoach.com//library/...005_Knight.pdf
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #1918

Monaco Owners Club
Terry LT,

Just to let you know upfront, I'm not too keen on welding to the chassis. Eyesight is such that it is difficult. Especially if access is limited. Although I do have the the equipment to do it lets see what we have to work with first.