Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #2017

Monaco Owners Club
Harry, nice pictures. Your installation looks like mine except I couldn't lay my sandwich on the frame rails like you could without getting it greasy.

I have some cleanup work to do before Q so I can hold my head up high.

Roy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:05 PM   #2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Boomer, where is the interference? Any pics? What are the last 4 of your coach #? I ordered my coach end of April 2007, with June 20th delivery date, #2451.

Two other early 2008 40' Camelot/Scepters, with coach #2402 & 2406, also have the Roadmaster sway bars.

Let me know if I can help.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ

Happy there was not enough clearance for the sway bar clevis in the fabricated mount that bolts to beam. It hits at the top when air bags are dumped. I will have Jim and a scott send his pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 07-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #2019

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe you could say it in different words, as I am not understanding. Too bad you are not closer to me, I would lend a hand.

The brackets with the blue bushings mount to the rearmost part of the I beam. Yes, mine has the I beams welded to the frame rails too. Does the blue bushing mount hit something, or does the link at the end of the sway bar the hit something? What hits what?

Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #2020

The wish bone looking part( wish I had picture) that the ends of the sway bar fit into and mount directly to the u shape. Mount that made in the kit. The wish none thing hits a cross bracket or rail in my suspension when I do a full air bag dump.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #2021

I installed Mike Hughes Watts Link on my 2003 Monaco Windsor 40 PST today. The installation was very simple and it took just over an hour for complete install. I went for a 40 mile drive to see how it performed. Wow, what a difference. I can drive at 65 mph with just 2 fingers. Before the Watts Link, it was both hands on the wheel and try to keep it in the lane. I sincerely appreciate Mike and everyone's efforts in finding a solution to our wandering coaches. Attached is a photo of the installClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469905105.076180.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	134525Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469905131.361586.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	134526
Gregcti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #2022

Monaco Owners Club
Gregcti what other chassis mods have you done?
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #2023

Sanford,
I have added Van's rear cross braces, Bilstein shocks, front end alignment and front caster shims.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #2024

Monaco Owners Club
Fine additions Gregcti. Do you have a TRW steering box?
Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #2025

Sanford,
Yes my coach came factory with TRW steering gear. I have had to adjust it a couple of times. Currently has zero play in it.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:28 PM   #2026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcti View Post
I installed Mike Hughes Watts Link on my 2003 Monaco Windsor 40 PST today. The installation was very simple and it took just over an hour for complete install. I went for a 40 mile drive to see how it performed. Wow, what a difference. I can drive at 65 mph with just 2 fingers. Before the Watts Link, it was both hands on the wheel and try to keep it in the lane. I sincerely appreciate Mike and everyone's efforts in finding a solution to our wandering coaches. Attached is a photo of the installAttachment 134525Attachment 134526
Gregcti, the modification from Mike Hughs, is this the link only or part of the total kit? Im interested.
10Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #2027

Monaco Owners Club
Yes Gregcti with these mods you have a great handling coach I'm sure. Sanford
Old 07-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #2028

10Boomer,
Yes, this is a full bolt on kit with all necessary hardware. Mike Hughes can answer any application questions you may have. He is great to work with.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcti View Post
10Boomer,
Yes, this is a full bolt on kit with all necessary hardware. Mike Hughes can answer any application questions you may have. He is great to work with.

Sounds good, would like his contact if you have it.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #2030

F&R Watts and rear X-brace

I drove to Mike Hughes’ house yesterday and we installed rear x-brace and front & rear watts links.

Looking at the hardware all laid out (in order) on his bench, I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the machine work and welding. The parts are powder coated. Mike explained what went into the fabrication of the parts down to the o-rings and graphite impregnated bushings. There are grease fittings on all friction points. The hardware he makes is first class with first class materials which includes American steel.

Mike explained what we were going to do with every piece before we crawled under my coach – and there are quite a few pieces, bolts, nuts, washers, etc – all top quality grade 8.

Installation took only 3 hours and went flawlessly because the parts are extremely well thought out – lots of prototyping was obvious. We weren’t rushing it either. All the parts fit perfectly – I was amazed. Murphy and his laws stayed home yesterday.

We took a short test drive and I could see the improvement nearly right away. I saw it even more on the 100-mile drive back because the route home (I 14) takes me through some mountain passes and a few long sweeping turns.

Prior to the installation, I had to “pre-steer” into a turn in order to give the coach a fraction of a second to start turning. In the turn, I had to continually correct to hold the lane. Not so now: when you steer, it goes. That took a little getting used to. Now I don’t need to make my steering inputs as large either. So for the first few big turns I had a tendency to over correct.

At one point I noticed the coach was pulling to the left and I had to add some inputs to hold my lane. I knew we hadn’t done anything to the alignment and so was wondering what was up. Then I saw a huge American flag off the side of the freeway standing straight out and it became clear I was in a strong cross wind. It hardly affected me. There were some big gusts and those did take some steering inputs but as with any large vehicle that has to be expected. Again, my tendency to over correct worked against me.

Now I am able to hold my lane much easier than before, so driving is nowhere near as tiring. In the heavy 4-lane traffic I hit on the way home, positioning my coach where I wanted it in the lane was immensely easier. I expect that a 600-mile day will be easier and narrow construction zones will no longer be a white-knuckle experience.

I can see my fuel bill becoming larger because the setup gives me the confidence to drive faster. More than once I found myself keeping up with the 75-mph traffic with ease and had to back off. 65 MPH is a piece of cake and gives me some time to enjoy the view along the road.

The real test will be next month when I make a 250-mile round trip towing the Jeep Wrangler. Our Jeep has a tendency to push the rear of the coach around: especially if you need to hit the brakes in a turn or in wind. I expect a huge improvement and will make it a point to provide an update.

It will be interesting to see if the wife can now relax in the co-pilot seat.

Here are some pix:

Bracket to get around and mount front jack and watts pivot.
Driver's side tie rod
Bracket and pivot for rear watts - note how tie rod is formed to accommodate the frame member. Note how notches are made to avoid gussets.
Rear x-brace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	135321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	135322  

Click image for larger version