RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #715

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
I remember talking to one of you who had fabrication capability and was thinking of replacing his Sheppard steering box with a TRW adjustable type. I don't remember which of you that was, so would you please identify yourself and tell me if you've made any progress on that idea.

Someone contacted me asking if I knew of anyone who had made this swap.

Thanks!

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36 at Myrtle Beach for Bike Week
Eastern NC
Van,

You and I discussed this at the Perry GA rally, I do not know if I am the "someone" you are thinking of.
Long story short, coach has be sitting and due to family issues I have not be able to touch the darn thing. When it rains it pours :bang head:

I would like to get out to the coach finally in the next few weeks and get the numbers and specs for the Sheppard box and then local source a TRW box to match to see what a swap would involve. I want to get an EXACT measurement of the play in this box and if a swap is not possible or reasonable I will send the unit off to Read Head for a "fix", shim, blueprinting, what ever describes trying to fix a BAD design.

I will be installing your braces, will order parts next week, but would like the box done first then post results, then braces, then results, shocks,results. Get my drift. This is the only way I see to calculate the improvement or NON improvement each modification gives.

I can tell you there is A LOT of play in the steering box, I have driven big stuff all my life and this is the most play I have EVER seen. Chasing the tail with the front is no fun. Now it is time to fix the PROBLEM, so I will start with the steering box and work back.

Thank you for a great knowledge swap in Perry and for ALL you have done for this thread and the people on it.

CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #716

Craig,

Thanks for the memory jog.

It usually involves a lengthy Internet search, but you can probably find some engineering drawings of at least the outside of the TRW boxes and possibly the Sheppard ones as well. Some folks, like Bob Nodine, are wizards at finding that kind of info...hint, hint, Bob.

I am at Bike Week in Myrtle Beach and don't have access to my home files, but I may have some info on the TRW boxes. I seem to recall that there were several “series” of TRW boxes. I think I recall that two of the largest boxes were “Series 85” and “Series 65”, but I could be wrong. I do think I remember that the largest series had (8) bolts securing the cover in which the adjusting screw is located, and the one commonly found on our coaches has (6) bolts securing that cover.

Tell you what, Craig. You’ve got fabricating capability, like me. And you’ve got a really good reason to change steering boxes. If you do this swap and document everything, so that others can do it, you’ll become “da man” on this thread, Craig. There are FAR too many folks who have the problems associated with the Sheppard gear, whether it’s fifteen years old and never touched, or freshly rebuilt. I do not want to disparage the Sheppard company, because they are successful and supply a considerable part of the OTR tractor market. But I think any steering box that cannot have its center-position play adjusted to zero does not belong in a motor home driven by us “non-professional” drivers. So, Bro, if I can help you in any way, let me know.

All you guys who have contributed so much to the progress we’ve made—help us with this. Help Craig gather all the info he needs to change his steering box from a Sheppard to a TRW. I think he is the one of us most likely to tackle this project, and that could be a game-changer for those with the Sheppard “problem”. We need drawings and part numbers of the Sheppard and TRW boxes, part numbers of things like Pittman arms, tie rod ends, drag links…whatever.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36 pulling one Harley…at MB Bike Week
Eastern NC

Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #717
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Getting ready to head West to Kalifornia in about 6 week from central Florida. I have new shocks, Safe-t-plus with trim kit I built, sway bars, ride control valves, front end aligned, four corner weight, Source Fan kit, Engine chip, dyno tested, and need to get the cross braces built and installed. Tried ordering parts online but you need to call due to the pipes/bars. With close to 500 hp towing a Ford Edge I can't wait to take the last of the S turns out of this monster. It rides and handles good but there is a niggling bit of the S turn.

A quick question for Van. Would it be possible/acceptable to use the U bolt threads (if long enough) to attach the rod ends? Versus building the bracket with the offset place for the rod connections? Hope I am clear on this.

Could the rod end connectors be inserted into the long rods and then drilled in order to use a nut and bolt versus welding?

I'm trying to find a way to build a useable setup without buying a welder or finding one.

Fantastic thread. Some times genius is indeed 90 percent perspiration and 10 percent inspiration. The folks that have contributed to this thread really inspire and prove that the TEAM always produces a better solution. TEAM, Together Everyone Achieves Magic.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #718

Monaco Owners Club
TEAM, Together Everyone Achieves Magic. Nice ..........deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #719

Monaco Owners Club
Van,

Wow…thanks for the pep talk ! A little nudge always helps. I am finally back in the same city as the coach and will be paying it a visit tomorrow morning to get this ball rolling.

I agree with the fact that a non adjustable steering box in a coach seems a bit odd so lets see what a few good minds can do to "fix" the problem. I know a few folks have had great success with Red Head working on their boxes. I have had more than one shop owner at an RV rally or gathering, over hearing my conversations, give me a quote to fix the problem…$$$$, that is until we go in to an in-depth conversation, that usually ends that.

I am hoping to come up with a fix, not just a bandaid.

I will GLADLY accept any and all information, help, ideas…what ifs…that ANYONE has.

I will document the entire process, parts, plans, drawings and sources to try and do to the front end what Vanwill has done to the back end…and middle for that matter, THANKS AGAIN VAN !!!! I am not a engineer but I have built everything from Nitro drag bikes, SCCA rally cars and even an aerobatic aircraft so wish me luck.

TEAM….I like it.

Tired of chasing my tail…….especially when towing a TOAD !
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Getting ready to head West to Kalifornia in about 6 week from central Florida. I have new shocks, Safe-t-plus with trim kit I built, sway bars, ride control valves, front end aligned, four corner weight, Source Fan kit, Engine chip, dyno tested, and need to get the cross braces built and installed. Tried ordering parts online but you need to call due to the pipes/bars. With close to 500 hp towing a Ford Edge I can't wait to take the last of the S turns out of this monster. It rides and handles good but there is a niggling bit of the S turn.

A quick question for Van. Would it be possible/acceptable to use the U bolt threads (if long enough) to attach the rod ends? Versus building the bracket with the offset place for the rod connections? Hope I am clear on this.

Could the rod end connectors be inserted into the long rods and then drilled in order to use a nut and bolt versus welding?

I'm trying to find a way to build a useable setup without buying a welder or finding one.

Fantastic thread. Some times genius is indeed 90 percent perspiration and 10 percent inspiration. The folks that have contributed to this thread really inspire and prove that the TEAM always produces a better solution. TEAM, Together Everyone Achieves Magic.
YC1,

As much as I would like to encourage you to do this by an alternate method, I think you are probably best off by sticking to the design we already have. I know making the brackets and welding the ends on the tubes presents difficulties for some folks. As much as I'd like to have folks make their own braces, if you really find that to be a problem, contact me offline and I'll help you.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36 pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #721

Craig,

I've gotten some input from one of the members that may be helpful--some websites and such. What you really need is either some engineering drawings of the two boxes, or one of the TRW boxes to hold in hand. I'll try to get the info I have to you by the weekend. I'll get the info on the box in my coach. I'm fairly certain it would be adaptable to any coach, if indeed it is not actually the one used in all Monaco's.

I think if I were doing the swap, I'd determine what TRW box was the correct one, and just get one to start the swap. I noticed this past weekend that a TRW box that looks exactly like the one on my coach was on a new Freightliner road tractor. So, I suspect that one is easy to locate in a salvage yard.

Eastern NC
Old 05-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #722

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Craig,

I've gotten some input from one of the members that may be helpful--some websites and such. What you really need is either some engineering drawings of the two boxes, or one of the TRW boxes to hold in hand. I'll try to get the info I have to you by the weekend. I'll get the info on the box in my coach. I'm fairly certain it would be adaptable to any coach, if indeed it is not actually the one used in all Monaco's.

I think if I were doing the swap, I'd determine what TRW box was the correct one, and just get one to start the swap. I noticed this past weekend that a TRW box that looks exactly like the one on my coach was on a new Freightliner road tractor. So, I suspect that one is easy to locate in a salvage yard.

Eastern NC
Maybe these folks could help:
RV Chassis Parts | Visone RV Chassis Parts | rvchassisparts.visonerv.com

Go back to the home page and you will find their phone number. Best to call and tell them what you are looking for.

Bob
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #723

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have quite a bit on the TRW as it relates to my old MH and my source is accessfreightliner.com. If anyone would llke copies I will send them to you by email.

If after review you want parts list I can extract the parts to a pdf and send them to you.

Includes just about everything on my MH

Tom
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #724

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
I have quite a bit on the TRW as it relates to my old MH and my source is accessfreightliner.com. If anyone would llke copies I will send them to you by email.

If after review you want parts list I can extract the parts to a pdf and send them to you.

Includes just about everything on my MH

Tom
Tom, do you have anything that gives any dimensions on any of the boxes, along with part numbers? I think that would do the most to help someone decide what kind of welding/fabrication would have to be done to accomplish the job. Thanks for your kind offer!! I'm going by a wrecking yard for big trucks in a few days to see what is available.

Eastern NC
Old 05-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #725

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Tom, do you have anything that gives any dimensions on any of the boxes, along with part numbers? I think that would do the most to help someone decide what kind of welding/fabrication would have to be done to accomplish the job. Thanks for your kind offer!! I'm going by a wrecking yard for big trucks in a few days to see what is available.

Eastern NC
What I have is is info on the TRW TAS55/65/85 provided by Accessfreightliner.com

I will try to attach one of the documents. Do not have dimensions in the specs. They have a parts list that I can extract. Will take a little time.

Ok it looks like it uploaded.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf v4603000wm.pdf (1.33 MB, 80 views)
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #726

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is what I can download if your interested after looking at my last document. Each one has a separate parts list. So let me know. This is an older system.

46 531 STEERING LINKAGE 531-C01425
46 532 STEERING COLUMN 532-C00815
46 534 STEERING RESERVOIR 534-C00919
46 535 STEERING PLUMBING 535-C01350
46 536 STEERING GEAR 536-C01332
46 537 STEERING UNIVERSAL SHAFT 537-C00726
46 539 STEERING PUMP 539-C01206
46 540 STEERING WHEEL 540-C00805
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #727

Monaco Owners Club
My adjustable steering box on my Camelot is a Ross/TRW TAS85 series, FYI.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #728

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
Here is what I can download if your interested after looking at my last document. Each one has a separate parts list. So let me know. This is an older system.

46 531 STEERING LINKAGE 531-C01425
46 532 STEERING COLUMN 532-C00815
46 534 STEERING RESERVOIR 534-C00919
46 535 STEERING PLUMBING 535-C01350
46 536 STEERING GEAR 536-C01332
46 537 STEERING UNIVERSAL SHAFT 537-C00726
46 539 STEERING PUMP 539-C01206
46 540 STEERING WHEEL 540-C00805
I would love to see the info on the linkage and steering column. If I recall, my linkage from the steering column were two pieces and there was slight bit of play in that. Please upload those if it isn't much trouble. Thank you in advance.

crah is offline   Reply With Quote