RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #729

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Crah,

Ok I will upload the two files. Remember that parts are specific to my Vin Number.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Steering Column.pdf (171.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf Steering Linkage Parts.pdf (115.9 KB, 58 views)

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #730

Sheppard M100 Steering Gear

Does anyone have one of these steering gears they can give, loan, or sell (at a bargain price) to me? Condition is unimportant as long as the exterior casting is not broken.

This would be a huge help in devising a way to replace the Sheppard gear with the TRW-type steering gear.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Eastern NC

Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
My adjustable steering box on my Camelot is a Ross/TRW TAS85 series, FYI.
Harry, I'm not really familiar with your coach. Please do me a favor. At your leisure, look at your steering gear. The cap where the adjusting screw is located--is it attached with (6) bolts, or (8) bolts? I'm trying to determine the different TRW gear models used on Monaco coaches. I was under the impression that the TAS85 series had an (8) bolt cover. I may be wrong.

Does anyone out there have a TAS65 series steering box?

Y'all need to move to NC until we have this problem all sorted out, so I can SEE your coaches. <G>

Thanks again for everyone's contributions and help. The most baffling thing left for me is how two very similar coaches with very similar wandering problems can have totally different results when applying either crossed rear braces, P-rod bushing changes, or a front P-rod stiffener.

Eastern NC
Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #732

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Does anyone have one of these steering gears they can give, loan, or sell (at a bargain price) to me? Condition is unimportant as long as the exterior casting is not broken.

This would be a huge help in devising a way to replace the Sheppard gear with the TRW-type steering gear.

Eastern NC
VAN,

OK everyone after a minor Air Condition emergency on my nieces Jeep, all is cold now, I get to publish my TEST.

I wanted to establish a BASE LINE on MY coach for steering box "PLAY". All other coaches may be close to this but AGE and MILEAGE will VARY.

I took the coach out to a parking lot. Extended the front jack until it touched the ground then took a measurement then extended the jack until the wheels were off the ground…no load…took a measurement of the jack extension. Raised the jack, lowered the coach, let it roll forward with NO DRIVER
INPUT and after about 5 feet stopped, lowered the front jack to touch the ground and then 1/4 of the difference between touch and raised, I am trying to simulate a ROLLING LOAD….remember how NON POWER STEERING cars were easier to steer when they were rolling.

I then clamped a metal 1" square tube to a frame member and on the other end I placed a digital gauge and placed it against the arm directly attached to the steering box to sense movement. Left turn, Zero, Right turn repeat…3 times.
Recorded all measurements at the steering wheel. ALL were really close.

Then clamp the tubing and gauge to a cross member and measure again, this time at the brake hub. I was trying to figure out if there was any steering linkage "PLAY" and any MAJOR difference between the measurement I took at the BOX VS what I took at the HUB.

Good news on my coach, less than 1/8 of a difference between box and brake hub.

BAD NEWS, I have….ALMOST 2 FULL INCHES of PLAY, 1 15/16 to be exact.
SO I get to turn the wheel almost 2 inches, going from stop to stop with nothing happening….GREAT

GOOD NEWS, I took a REALLY close look at the steering box attachment and it does not look like impossible to replace. NOT bolted to the frame, just bolted to a large steel plate with stand off mounts from the frame.

NOW…I am and WILL be reading ALL of your inputs in the morning. THEN I think from what I have already read we are on the right track,

FIND THE CLOSEST TRW box to replace the Shepard. Drawings help but,
when I…..WE…find the closest TRW BOX…WE can, or a housing of one, then I would like to get my hands on one in the Atlanta area and physically take it to the coach…and stare a little.

I think getting the old mounting plate off and designing a new plate would be easy, but making sure it fit with the steering column and steering linkage would be the challenge. MAYBE we will get lucky….ONE can HOPE.

THANK YOU ALL for all the information already. I have lots to research.

I am off….with the coach for a 10 day parental help "vacation" in Little Rock, so WIFI permitting I will keep up at night and when I return to Atlanta I will hit the ground running.

HERE WE GO !
CrazyKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #733

Monaco Owners Club
Van,

The cover has 6 bolts holding it on, not 8.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400989494.981930.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	561.0 KB
ID:	63755

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #734

Monaco Owners Club
TEST,

I wanted to make sure I was not CRAZY on steering wheel play and also making sure the steering linkage was not worn and causing the problem. The tech specs I found for the Sheppard box owners, myself included, is that .5 to 1.5 inches of "unresponsive motion" at the steering wheel is within specs on a series 6 unit.

Older units 1.5 to 2.5 inches of "unresponsive motion" is acceptable.

With Van's help already it looks as if the TRW TAS65 is the closest unit to the Sheppard M100 Auto.

After the Memorial Day weekend I will get a TRW65, the case or the entire unit.

FROM A VET, to the Veterans reading this,
THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE !

Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #735

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From the info I uploaded the 85 is up to 18000 lb front axle capacity while the 65 is up 14,300lb front axle capacity. Keep that in mind.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #736

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
TEST,

I wanted to make sure I was not CRAZY on steering wheel play and also making sure the steering linkage was not worn and causing the problem. The tech specs I found for the Sheppard box owners, myself included, is that .5 to 1.5 inches of "unresponsive motion" at the steering wheel is within specs on a series 6 unit.

Older units 1.5 to 2.5 inches of "unresponsive motion" is acceptable.

With Van's help already it looks as if the TRW TAS65 is the closest unit to the Sheppard M100 Auto.

After the Memorial Day weekend I will get a TRW65, the case or the entire unit.

FROM A VET, to the Veterans reading this,
THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE !

Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.
This is the reason that I think the Sheppard non-adjustable boxes are just not as good as the TRW--2" of steering play is enough to make most folks think their coach wanders terribly. I am perhaps more sensitive to steering wheel play than most, but even 1" RUINS my driving experience--I feel like I'm making corrections constantly, and any gust of wind can have a huge effect. I suspect this may be one of the reasons that add-on devices that essentially put a huge shock absorber (correct name is "motion damper") are successful in some applications. They WOULD mitigate the effects of steering box play.

Craig, please do me a favor. Take as many pix as you can from as many angles as possible and send to me. You will be taking the lead in this changeover, and I think I'll put my plans on hold to do much with it for now. However, I will be glad to help you in any way possible. If the Sheppard gear is mounted to a plate suspended on "stilts" that will surely make the changeover MUCH simpler.

Take Greystroke's advice and look closely at the TRW gear selection. Based on HappyCarz reporting that he has a TAS85 gear, and Greystroke's input, the TAS85 gear may be the correct one. Later today, I'll get the numbers off my gear, also.

This may be a "small pond", but if you can engineer this swap in a way that the average mechanically inclined owner can accomplish it, you will definitely be the "big fish".

Contact me if there is any way I can help you, Craig. This may sound silly, but be sure when you get your TRW gear that it operates the Pittman arm in the correct direction. I do believe I remember reading many years ago that the gears were available in RH and LH, so installations could be accommodated that had the gear both ahead and behind the axle, and steering arms from the spindle pointed ahead or behind. I would be really disappointing to install the gear, then learn you had to teach yourself to "turn right" when you wanted to go left. LOL

Eastern NC
Old 05-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #737

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Take Greystroke's advice and look closely at the TRW gear selection. Based on HappyCarz reporting that he has a TAS85 gear, and Greystroke's input, the TAS85 gear may be the correct one. Later today, I'll get the numbers off my gear, also.

Eastern NC
My front axle capacity is 9350 so it is a no brainer to select the 65 for my rig. It appears that is what is installed.

Also the weight of the 85 is 110 lb dry while the 65 is 80 lb dry.

All of this is in the first doc I uploaded and in case you haven't had a chance to look at it it has complete removal and install instructions including all adjustments. It is adjusted for "no play" in the shaft. If you buy from a wrecking yard you may have to adjust the poppets. But if you order a rebuilt from ebay the shaft should be set properly and all you will need is the adjustment.

Some day when I pull my Onan out I will adjust mine, There are holes in the frame to do this but the Onan covers the holes.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #738

Monaco Owners Club
Without sliding under my MH does anyone know if the Navistar Monaco's 2011 (Cayman & Knight) have the TRW "box"? DeSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #739

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
This is the reason that I think the Sheppard non-adjustable boxes are just not as good as the TRW--2" of steering play is enough to make most folks think their coach wanders terribly. I am perhaps more sensitive to steering wheel play than most, but even 1" RUINS my driving experience--I feel like I'm making corrections constantly, and any gust of wind can have a huge effect. I suspect this may be one of the reasons that add-on devices that essentially put a huge shock absorber (correct name is "motion damper") are successful in some applications. They WOULD mitigate the effects of steering box play.

Craig, please do me a favor. Take as many pix as you can from as many angles as possible and send to me. You will be taking the lead in this changeover, and I think I'll put my plans on hold to do much with it for now. However, I will be glad to help you in any way possible. If the Sheppard gear is mounted to a plate suspended on "stilts" that will surely make the changeover MUCH simpler.

This may be a "small pond", but if you can engineer this swap in a way that the average mechanically inclined owner can accomplish it, you will definitely be the "big fish".

Contact me if there is any way I can help you, Craig. This may sound silly, but be sure when you get your TRW gear that it operates the Pittman arm in the correct direction. I do believe I remember reading many years ago that the gears were available in RH and LH, so installations could be accommodated that had the gear both ahead and behind the axle, and steering arms from the spindle pointed ahead or behind. I would be really disappointing to install the gear, then learn you had to teach yourself to "turn right" when you wanted to go left. LOL

Eastern NC
Van,

I will get the GOOD camera out and take a bunch of pictures of the steering box and the mount. I will email you the photos.

Maybe the TRW TAS85 would be better, but I think the TRW TAS65 is plenty stout of a unit, but if the 85 is an easier swap..I know which one I will use.

I have been reading on the LH and RH units and plan to go to a heavy truck steering repair facility here in ATL and get all the input I can from them, buy them lunch or something. Get guys who know this stuff to give input and I will have my photos on my iPad to show them also.

Again I will be out of town for 10 days but will do ALL i can, photos, research and such.

The mount looks easily modified. One could hope to weld a few holes up and drill new ones. I am hoping, like you say, to come up with the RIGHT but EASY fix so everyone could be able to do the swap.

EVERYONE please keep chiming in, we are SMARTER TOGETHER than I am alone.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #740

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Without sliding under my MH does anyone know if the Navistar Monaco's 2011 (Cayman & Knight) have the TRW "box"? DeSanford
I would not want to guess, but the 2 2011 coaches I know of use the Sheppard box but please…take a look, it is easy to see even just kneeling under the front with a flashlight.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #741

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
From the info I uploaded the 85 is up to 18000 lb front axle capacity while the 65 is up 14,300lb front axle capacity. Keep that in mind.
From what I can find on my rig and in the owners manual my from axle is rated at 13,000 LBS, so the TAS 65 should work, but as I stated in another post if the 85 is an easier swap than the 65….that is a no brainer.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #742

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
From what I can find on my rig and in the owners manual my from axle is rated at 13,000 LBS, so the TAS 65 should work, but as I stated in another post if the 85 is an easier swap than the 65….that is a no brainer.
ok ...understand

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors