RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #743

Just spent a couple of hours under the front of my coach on a creeper--just a-thinkin' and a-ponderin'. Mainly just trying to come up with a substitute for crossed braces when gennies make them impossible.

I think Harry (HappyCarz) and I were both fooled by the casting number on the outside of our steering gear. I read that the actual model number is pin-stamped onto a machined pad on the bottom of the gear, along with a serial number. The CASTING number (cast into the rough outside of the gear casting) is TAS852289. The actual model number pin-stamped on my gear is TAS65028A. My serial number is 16999S09P81. So, I suspect that at least all non-tag coaches have the TAS65 series gear. I THINK (not sure) that a TAS85 model gear has (8) bolts securing the cover that has the adjusting screw.

My Pittman arm has only a forging number on it, best I can tell. 1009262 - E29. It attaches to the gear with what looks like a 1-7/8 major diameter spline (I could be off by 1/8") and the center-to-center distance between the spline and the drag link tie rod end is 9-1/2".

I think Greystroke's gear is mounted "reversed" from most coaches. That is, it is mounted INBOARD of the mounting plate, and that is why the adjusting screw requires an access hole. Not sure why it was done that way. Perhaps Greystroke can give us some reason why it looks as though it had to be done that way.

Craig--I took LOTS of pix of my steering box mounting, and a short video. Once I sort them out, I'll send to you.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Eastern NC

Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #744

Monaco Owners Club
This coming Tuesday I will go to the storage yard and see if I also have the Sheppard "box". I suspect if yours is mine is also Craig. Maybe my Safe-T-Plus is keeping my unit going somewhat straight. deSanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #745

Monaco Owners Club
I stand corrected. The first 5 digits of the casting denotes series. Mine looks like TAS85, but as the T is sloppy, I assume the 8 is also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401080765.335740.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	63846

I used this site, page 7, to identify my box.
http://bestindustrial.com/_pdffiles/...D%20Manual.pdf

So, I then looked at the stamping number on the bottom. This one is clearly legible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401080908.870390.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	749.3 KB
ID:	63847

My pitman arm is 11" on center.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #746

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
This coming Tuesday I will go to the storage yard and see if I also have the Sheppard "box". I suspect if yours is mine is also Craig. Maybe my Safe-T-Plus is keeping my unit going somewhat straight. deSanford
deSanford,

I also have the Safe-t-plus. It helped a little when I installed it but my play was still there, I think it dampens it, like Van saidÖ.a big shock absorber. Your box might be one that has steering play on the smaller end of the allowable "non-motion" spectrum.
CrazyKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #747

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycarz View Post
i stand corrected. The first 5 digits of the casting denotes series. Mine looks like tas85, but as the t is sloppy, i assume the 8 is also.

Attachment 63846

i used this site, page 7, to identify my box.
http://bestindustrial.com/_pdffiles/...d%20manual.pdf

so, i then looked at the stamping number on the bottom. This one is clearly legible.

Attachment 63847

my pitman arm is 11" on center.

thanks harry !
Old 05-26-2014, 06:27 AM   #748

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Just spent a couple of hours under the front of my coach on a creeper--just a-thinkin' and a-ponderin'. Mainly just trying to come up with a substitute for crossed braces when gennies make them impossible.

I think Harry (HappyCarz) and I were both fooled by the casting number on the outside of our steering gear. I read that the actual model number is pin-stamped onto a machined pad on the bottom of the gear, along with a serial number. The CASTING number (cast into the rough outside of the gear casting) is TAS852289. The actual model number pin-stamped on my gear is TAS65028A. My serial number is 16999S09P81. So, I suspect that at least all non-tag coaches have the TAS65 series gear. I THINK (not sure) that a TAS85 model gear has (8) bolts securing the cover that has the adjusting screw.

My Pittman arm has only a forging number on it, best I can tell. 1009262 - E29. It attaches to the gear with what looks like a 1-7/8 major diameter spline (I could be off by 1/8") and the center-to-center distance between the spline and the drag link tie rod end is 9-1/2".

I think Greystroke's gear is mounted "reversed" from most coaches. That is, it is mounted INBOARD of the mounting plate, and that is why the adjusting screw requires an access hole. Not sure why it was done that way. Perhaps Greystroke can give us some reason why it looks as though it had to be done that way.

Craig--I took LOTS of pix of my steering box mounting, and a short video. Once I sort them out, I'll send to you.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Van,

THANKS.

I was looking more at TECH sheet TO TECH sheet when favoring the TAS65.
On PAPER it lines up really well with the Sheppard box.
I will get to take some pictures tomorrow, storage placed closed today, for a good reason.

Just to be clear before the pictures, my box is located outboard of the mounting plate and is really easy to access, as is the plate and mounting hardware.

The output shaft for the pitman arm should be 2", at least according to the TRW SPEC sheet I have. I figure I MIGHT have to change pitman arms due to length.

I will study your pictures and if I have any questions I will give you a call. I still have your phone number from our Perry meeting.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #749

Monaco Owners Club
A little more help please.

Those of you with TRW boxes, I would like a few more part numbers. Please post your TRW information on the forum and if your sig lacks your coach information please provide that also. I would love about 10 to cross reference when I go to the truck salvage yard.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !

Look here: http://www.babsteering.com/product/id_gear/TAS.pdf
Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #750

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post

My unit is mounted just like the first Figure 1 in the V4603000wm document I uploaded for you. The plate mounts on the outside of the XC frame and the 65 is bolted to it. In the figure 1 the front of the coach is to the left. You can see the larger adjustment hole in the figure both in the frame and mounting plate. I have never seen the adjustment hole in mine because the Onan covers it up but my neighbor who had the same XC frame with a LP generator, had an easily accessable hole for adjustment. To mount it any different would require additional framing. Figure 105 shows the adjusting screw. So this way was the easiest way freightliner could do it.

Also in the back of the V46... document it shows a torque sequence for both 6 and 8 holes so you may be right that the 85 has 8 cover bolts.

Tom
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #751

Greystroke, thanks for the mounting info. I had missed the fact that your coach was not on a Roadmaster chassis. That explains the different mounting.

Craig, I'm sorting through all the pix I took and I'll send you the best ones. May have to be several emails. If I had your email address, I lost it. Send it to me via the email through this forum. I think it is going to turn out that there are several different mounting variations for the TRW boxes, with standoffs mounted in different locations, and with differing lengths of standoff. I think the "conversion kit" may not be as universal as we had hoped, but it can probably consist of the mounting plate made somewhat oversize with all the correct holes for the TRW box. Then one possible way to make it easier for folks would be to provide some square tubing that would slip over the existing tubing standoffs, allowing the installer to space the mounting plate as needed / tack-weld the oversize tubes to the mounting plate in place / remove the mounting plate / finish weld the tubes. Then they could slide the assembly back onto the existing standoffs and final-position everything before welding in place. That would mitigate some of the difficult out-of-position welding. But you or someone else may have a better idea. More later.

Atlanta is about six hours from me, but not out of the question.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36 pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #752

Monaco Owners Club
Craig you very well may be right my "box" may not have too much slop as to need a new TRW replacement at this time. At least I hope so. As others have noted it does take a little more effort to steer when not going straight with the Safe-T-Plus. The good news is if you have a blow out or traveling in areas with high side winds it is very nice especially with the Henderson's on the fly adjustment. Craig I concur with the nice floor plan you have. Although we added a couple of Flex-Steel recliner swivel rockers instead of the sofa bed coach. Replaced all the carpet with Tiger Wood Floors. With 3 cats it is easier to sweep instead of taking out the vac each day. In fact we took out the portable vac and now only occasionally use the built in system. All is good and life is great. deSanford PS looking forward to installing the Van-Bars and my summer trip.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #753

Have you weighed your coach with individual wheel scales to see if one axel side may be heavier than the other. This could effect the handling of your Scepter.
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #754

Monaco Owners Club
Just an FYI.

'98 Monaco Windsor 38ft
87,000 miles

Wandering at speeds above 55 mph. Inspection showed 1 rear P-rod bushing gone. I replaced the P-rod bushings and both lower trailing arm bushings with the improved factory bushings. The coach is very stable now at 70+ mph. I will replace the remaining 14 bushings as time and life allows.

Thanks to Van for the help.
foretexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #755

Just replaced the front and rear p-rod bushing on my 95 Dynasty 38í and installed Vanís cross braces.
I have been following this thread for some time, concerning the wandering problems with pre 2000 Monaco coaches. Mine wandered, but I did not think mine was as bad as some have complained about. So with the results most everyone has achieved, I figured anything that would improve the handling was worth a try.I had driven a tractor trailer rig for years, and when I got the Dynasty, I did notice it didníttrack as well as the big rigs I had been driving, and I had to work the steering wheel more. Just thought it was the nature of the beast, as I had never driven another coach to compare it to.
I first changed out the front P-rod bushings and drove it. No noticeable change. I couldnít get the bolts out of the rear bushings, so I took it to a shop and had the rear P-rod bushings changed. On the drive home, again no really noticeable change.Must say, the bushing I removed from the front were firm and showed no deterioration. I Did not see the old rear bushings.
This week I finally installed the rear cross braces from Van.Took it for a long drive on the interstate, and small two lane road. Now, up to speed, which to me is 60 mph, I could really tell a difference. When the large trucks would come up on me, I would not have to fight the wheel from their push of air. It just tracked straight.Same thing following in their wake turbulence, I could feel the coach buffeting, but it tracked straight. Before, when the turbulence made the coach rock, the direction of the rock, was the direction the coach wanted to go. So until the turbulence stopped, it was a fight back forth.
On the small two lane roads, I was always worried about staying in my lane meeting another larger vehicle and clipping mirrors, Not now, it stays right where I point it. Same with the crowns in the road, no more wanting to go back and forth in the direction of the lean, tracks straight.
It just drives so much better now. I didnít realize how bad it was. My thanks to Van, and all on the forum who worked together to help solve this problem.
Alan G.
flattop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #756

Monaco Owners Club
I just installed the cross braces on my buddy Terry's 08 HR Scepter, twin to my Camelot.

I took it for a test drive first, then backed it up onto some platforms and spent 45 minutes installing the braces. Then another drive. Just like mine, only 1" input from the steering wheel to get a response at the tires.

I talked to him after his 30 mile trip home. He loves the new response and stability. Now it is so easy to keep in the lane.

Another happy camper!

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote