RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #813

Monaco Owners Club
No worries Craig I have read ALL posts on this thread, but at 72 this June 30th sometimes one forgets what was written a while ago. Thank you for bringing me up to speed with the possible steering box exchange. When I go back to the RV storage lot I'm going to turn my steering wheel and see how much "play" I have. My Van-X-Bars are installed and they look real good. Only problem is I won't be able to see how good they work until this July when the DW and I embark on a 2 month trip with our Mini in tow. deSanford PS we sent Van pictures of our undercarriage.

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #814

Monaco Owners Club
TO ALL.

The TRW TAS65 104 A WILL NOT WORK, the mounting is so different and there are other factors also, way to much to post.

GOOD NEWS…..The TRW TAS65 127A is what the guys at Wellen Truck Parts are working on. I called Wellen head steering box guy, in the nation, and he agreed to grab a version on MY Sheppard and the TRW 127A and put them on his bench, including the pitman arms, in his shop and give me his thoughts…YES !!!

He agreed that if you want a box with no play the only way to go was a TRW. He stated he can rebuild a Sheppard and get it really tight but the design is as such it can NEVER have zero. Van….you were RIGHT !

He also stated if he found another TRW TAS65 that fit as a better replacement for the Sheppard M100 he will pass on this new information in a email. He should have his results by this Tue. He will take the Sheppard as a core and a rebuilt TRW TAS65 for those wanting to know is $562.

FINALLY…I found a TRW TAS65 127A in the yard and have pictures, will post later.

NOW that information and a LARGE IPA is the way to end a week.
Happy Friday !!!

I will be in limited post mode next week, my wonderful wife and I are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary at a rental house on the SC coast. I got her some real nice diamond stud earrings and I asked for a steering box !

CHEERS !

CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #815

Monaco Owners Club
CONGRATULATIONS on both. deSanford
Old 06-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
TO ALL.

I will be in limited post mode next week, my wonderful wife and I are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary at a rental house on the SC coast. I got her some real nice diamond stud earrings and I asked for a steering box !

CHEERS !
Well, Craig, we'll soon know if the studs were "nice enough". <G> Looking forward to meeting you and Angie. Both of you--Enjoy your week!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #817

Monaco Owners Club
Craig thanks for the info on the TRW box, I look foward on more info on the TRW replacement and congrats on the 10 yrs together
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #818

Wow, Van asked me to post my findings if I installed these bars. Well, I did and I could tell the difference the moment I pulled out of the driveway. My driveway is about a 2foot transition onto the street, and the coach did not sway or rock like it normally did.

So, I started with a 1999 Monaco Windsor 40' SO. My coach did not really drive that bad, almost no sway problem, just a bit of tail wag and some difficulty on roads with ruts. I have the stock Monroe shocks, coach has 58K miles on it with new 295/75/22.5 firestone 590+ tires.

On the drive back to my shop where I store the MH about 15 mile drive. I could tell a big difference, no tail wag, no sway intact I do not really think I need new shocks at this point. To put it simply, I think I could set the cruise and go back a eat a sandwich without any problems.

Van, Thank You very much for your efforts. This little upgrade was the best $300.00 I have spent so far.

Kent
kent342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #819
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Began our long trip from Florida to Calif. The new cross bars installed.

To recap. I have sway bars, new shocks, ride enhancement check valves, alignment, ride height set and safe-t-plus installed.

However I managed to toast my trim kit motor for the safe-t-plus so did not have it for the trip. (my modification) Of course the new motor arrived the afternoon we left.

The first leg of nearly 500 miles the mh pulled a bit to the right but I wrote that off to the steering stabilizer being a bit off center.

The first evening the stabilizer was removed. Our next leg today of almost 400 miles found the rv pulling right a tiny bit still so may need a fresh alignment. Without the shock it does not wander so to speak but the Sheppard steering sloppiness really becomes the last niggling bit of wandering. The steering has about an inch of free play. Relaxing my grip and really studying what the final issue is was revealing. Without the stabilizer the ruts, crowns, and grooves in the pavement were obvious. I could let the rv drift about at times and know it was tracking the ruts well but instinct wanted me to correct for the slight drift. IF, the steering slop was out it would feel more natural.

I will reinstall the stabilizer and install a mechanical trim until I can get the electric one replaced.

The steering stabilizer provided a better handling I believe due to the slop in the steering.

With all of the previous mods I suspect the gain from the cross bars for me is minimal. However, if I had not installed the sway bars I do believe they will or would have made a tremendous improvement. I spent thousands and the cross bars were pennies compared.

With my 42 footer running down the road for the last two days at 70 mph and more at time I can tell you this thing goes where you point it, is not concerned with truck or cars going by, and winds just give it a small buffet. Absolutely no white knuckles for this happy rver. Thanks Van and all. More reports after I reinstall the stabilizer and trim.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #820

Monaco Owners Club
Just a short note here I went to the storage lot and with the motor home sitting I turned the steering wheel. The most I could turn it without feeling resistance was about 3/8 of an inch. This is without the motor on and I do have a Safe-T-Plus big blue "shock" with the Henderson's trim kit. Your thread YCI was very interesting to read. Thanks for posting. deSanford
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #821

Monaco Owners Club
What about rack and pinion? It's relatively new to the trucking industry but when I was building drag cars we always used r&p because it was so easy to adapt. R&P is much more precise than gear and sector, it might be worth a look.
foretexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #822
YC1

Another 400 mile journey. This day there was wind, rain, and a two hour traffic jam.
With the safe-t-plus reinstalled and a manual trim adjustment in place of the broken motor driven one we headed out in calm air. The reinstallation of the stabilizer was an immediate improvement on the right pulling tendency. I think my last alignment made a mistake but that is another story.
With the stabilizer in place the rv was almost hands free. Trying to let it run hands free it was apparent there were ruts in the pavement not visible to the eye. Pulling a toad with a narrower foot print may be part of the tiny bit of wandering left. I don’t really mean wandering either. Just a subtle tendency to wander from each side of the ruts. Just a few inches. The toad may be trying to track a different part of the rut therefore trying to push the coach rear a bit side to side. An anti sway bar would probably take that out but definitely not worth the effort. Driving this thing is a one handed affair. I remember our first long trip without any of the mods and it was an exhausting white knuckle experience. All over the place and sheer terror when a truck passed.
I may drive a couple of hours without the toad to see if it tracks even better. With all of the mods in place any posted speed limit is not a problem and passing or being passed is a non event. Heck, even looking away for a moment to push a switch will not find me in a panic anymore. Nine hours yesterday and only mildly tired due to the heavy winds, severe rain, and the two hour stop for an accident.

The final issue that would be nice to resolve is the center slop being discussed currently. I have about an inch each way before feeling the steering becoming effective. Trying to completely relax and only make steering inputs when it truly feels out of place works but not a normal muscle memory method. In our cars we make tiny corrections by the dozens in a mile and never think about it. The steering system on this thing make you aware that the correction has not started immediately. When there is time the plastic steering column cover will come off and the two u joints will be inspected for any slop. They are overdue for grease anyway because of being such a pain to reach. The Sheppard steering box is probably the issue but where in the industry are these used most and why no issues there?
Going to the Alamo today and back on the road West tomorrow. Fun driving this beast now.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #823

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe I should call "Sheppard" and ask them about their steering units. deSanford
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #824

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretexas View Post
What about rack and pinion? It's relatively new to the trucking industry but when I was building drag cars we always used r&p because it was so easy to adapt. R&P is much more precise than gear and sector, it might be worth a look.
Tim, that is actually a good idea. Look at the 2015 Dynasty, though--I think the biggest problem might be what Freightliner faced in locating their conventional steering gear in the middle of the chassis, between the two wheels. They had to have a really wild routing of the steering wheel to the input shaft of the steering gear. I really like their location of the gear, but they had to not only use U-joints, but also a 90* gearbox.

A R&P would be great if we could figure a good way to get it connected to the steering wheel. How have you seen it connected on big trucks?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
The final issue that would be nice to resolve is the center slop being discussed currently. I have about an inch each way before feeling the steering becoming effective. Trying to completely relax and only make steering inputs when it truly feels out of place works but not a normal muscle memory method. In our cars we make tiny corrections by the dozens in a mile and never think about it. The steering system on this thing make you aware that the correction has not started immediately. When there is time the plastic steering column cover will come off and the two u joints will be inspected for any slop. They are overdue for grease anyway because of being such a pain to reach. The Sheppard steering box is probably the issue but where in the industry are these used most and why no issues there?
Going to the Alamo today and back on the road West tomorrow. Fun driving this beast now.

YC1--would you like to share a first name with us? If so, put it in your signature.

We all seem to be united in working on this problem and making headway all the time. I'm glad you have improved your handling so much. I DEFINITELY remember the "white knuckle" experience, and having to ask Sandy to hand me my coffee cup because I was scared to take my eyes off the road.

I've said it before, and you once again confirmed it--steering wheel slop just seems to make a "disconnect" that your mind has trouble dealing with. When we have ball screw end play in a CNC machine tool, we "program it out". We tell the machine, "When you want to reverse directions, turn "X" degrees first to take out the clearance, then make your programmed move." Our brains seem to have a hard time with that.

With as much steering play as you have, I bet that when you get that resolved, you will be one happy camper! Stay tuned. There seem to be great things on the horizon for Sheppard gear owners. Craig is making some really great progress on that problem.

To all you guys who have contributed your thoughts and experiences along this very long thread, you have been responsible for more progress in truly solving Monaco handling problems than has been made by Monaco in 25 years. That is quite an accomplishment. You should all be proud of what we have accomplished. And I personally thank you for your time.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #826
YC1

My wife mentioned something to me today that makes me very curious. She rides on the couch a lot while my grandson sits in the passenger seat. She describes a rocking back and forth motion since installing the X bars. Tomorrow should be a long day so will have her paying closer attention. Nothing was felt up front. The description is of a train car slowly rolling down the tracks for those that have ever ridden an old train.

I am wondering if the X bars are not tight enough. I will inspect them before the trip but not adjust them so she can give me more precise input. If she feels the motion I may stop along the way and tighten them.

And Myron is the first name. YC1 is from a radio call sign of Yuba City 1.