RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #827

Monaco Owners Club
The DW and I will be finally going on our summer trip this July 10th, and this will be the first time we ride with the Van-X-Bars. I believe mine are pretty tight at least I hope I don't have to make them tighter as I used RED LOCKTITE on all threaded areas. Didn't want anything to come loose with all the vibration of a diesel engine etc back there. Which reminds me I didn't put any tie wraps around the area where the bars cross. They might not be needed. deSanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #828

With all this discussion on the Sheppard box, one area I have found on my coach is a little play/slop in the steering shaft slip joint. I have 1/2 inch play in the joint. Many mention the u joints but I'm not sure how many know about the slip joint. There is a u joint above the steering box and 1 u joint at the steering column. The slip joint sits below the floor and is a bear to get to. There is a grease fitting on it that I'm sure most don't know about. The manual does not mention it. If you look up at the steering shaft from below the chassis and follow it to below the floor, there is is a rubber boot (reminds me of a manual transmission stick boot). If you remove the boot, you will find the grease fitting. The steering shaft is a two piece connected with a slip joint. I haven't found the parts to replace mine yet. I thought I would mention this for others when trying to narrow down slop in the steering components. I've read it's a common problem for the slip joint to end up with slop on some vehicles.

crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 AM   #829

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Maybe I should call "Sheppard" and ask them about their steering units. deSanford
deSanford,

That is the first thing I did, they responded with the literature for the Sheppard M100, that is how I got on to the fact of the NON Motion in their box. It is built in and STANDARD in THEIR design. Van and I discussed this face to face in Perry that is what kind of got me going down the road I am on. Then I called TRW.

I called TWO eel known trucking parts remanufactures. THERE is where I found someone who understood and agreed with me on the problem.

The truckers have a little las of an issue with the Sheppard due to fact the giant heave thing that pushes us down the road sits up front. THEY respond totally different I promise.

R&P....I WISH but from what I have looked at that would take some MAJOR work.

I have some GREAT news coming down the pipe if the parts I ordered yesterday work out as planned. The progress I have made on the technical side, IE my learning curve is huge. A long post will follow.

I have one more big favor, I need your Sheppard Numbers if they are handy.
I had to call Monaco to get my Data card AKA build sheet t get mine because on a Sheppard that are a PITA to get to.

Just a few would help, I am trying to work with a head tech and build a SWAP cross reference database for ALL of us to use.

NUMBERS PLEASE :-)

THERE is GREAT news on the horizon if my parts match my expectation.

I will keep you posted I promise...time to catch a flight to Tucson !
CrazyKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #830

Monaco Owners Club
Craig I have the same unit as you have (Sheppard) in our 2011 Navistar Monaco 36' MH. The parts you ordered yesterday are going to be installed in your Sheppard or the re manufactured TRW? deSanford
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #831
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here are two schematics of the steering column and one picture of the data plate information on my steering box. No serial number listed, just the model.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf steering column 1.pdf (39.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: pdf steering column 2.pdf (29.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: pdf steering gear box.pdf (4.6 KB, 74 views)
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #832

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Here are two schematics of the steering column and one picture of the data plate information on my steering box. No serial number listed, just the model.
Thanks YC1. The second attachment is a good shot of it. The spline section is longer than shown and the slip yoke and grease zerk sit right below the floor. With the generator slide out, you can get to it a little easier. Perhaps some others may have the same problem. I discovered the slop in mine when I was greasing the u joint at the steering column. With the shroud removed at the steering column, I had a large air gap with daylight that I could see through the floor and what while o turned the wheel and see the slop at the slip joint.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #833
YC1

Brutal day today. Wind, torrential rain, lightening all day. Still was able to run fairly high speeds due to the handling. When calm I am finding the slop in the steering to be annoying but not difficult to control. When I have the energy I may take the steering column cover off and see how much slop is in my slip yoke section.

Just seems every day on the road something breaks. Rear view monitor acted up and the check engine light came on. Tomorrow is another day. Hopefully things will dry out a bit. The KOA owner said it rained 2.5 inches in 1/2 hour today. Had to float around to find a spot where we could get out of the rv.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #834

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Craig I have the same unit as you have (Sheppard) in our 2011 Navistar Monaco 36' MH. The parts you ordered yesterday are going to be installed in your Sheppard or the re manufactured TRW? deSanford
deSanford,

There is a TRW box and matching pitman arm waiting for me when I return to Atlanta, I am in Tucson for a family military retirement.
I just do not want to get hopes to high BEFORE I finish my research and project.

Model numbers is what I need. You have the the same one I do. I need others to try and build a swap database.

There are only a few options if you have a Sheppard with a bunch of play.
Those that have the very little play, what you do is your choice.
Anyone can make it better, I will post ALL I have discovered.

I will start a new thread next week when I have parts in hand and maybe even on the coach. I will document the options and the process I have researched.
I have over 100 hrs of work into this already and want the information I have out there so EVERYONE can benefit and decide what is best for THEIR coach.
Yes I will include pictures.

More Sheppard M100 Model numbers PLEASE. I am trying to give more coach owners more options.

THANKS EVERYONE for your help and for reading.

More to come
Old 06-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #835

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Craig I hope like you and others that your efforts will be rewarded. deSanford
Old 06-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #836

Monaco Owners Club
Crag my Sheppard gear is a M100PLG3 on a 2000 Dyn and has about 1 1/4 inch of slack
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #837

Monaco Owners Club
Where is the model number on the box and any idea what the format looks like? Is the casting number what you want? My data card in the closet says it's a HD94PQ31.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #838

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis k ...you have the same one as myself and deSanford.
Walt2137...that is what I need. Thanks

More numbers please, I am hoping to give my source at least 4 to cross reference.

I should have my parts in hand Monday morning and I will be under the coach Monday afternoon and the next few days until I am finished.

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #839
YC1

Hi Craig, we arrived near Tucson this afternoon. (Arizona). Another very windy day of travel but no rain. I took my steering column cover off for inspection. No slop in the top U joint. I did not check the slip joint.

I am very happy with how well the MH handles the high wind. The sway bars make a huge difference.

After arriving with the engine off and the jacks extended I stuck my head out the window to observe the wheel turn versus the steering wheel input. It is about an inch in either direction before the tire moves. Maybe I'll just run a rod out the window and make a tiller to steer with.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #840

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Craig,

My Sheppard box is a Model M100 PPN31. Let me know if you want pics. As I wrote earlier, I don't seem to have much lost motion in mine. I haven't measured it yet, but estimate less than 1" lost motion. It doesn't seem to bother handling now that I have Van's cross braces and the Source-Roadmaster anti sway bars. Both of those additions made a significant difference. We just took a crowd of 80+ Y/O aunts and uncles on a tour of Lake Tahoe and coming back down I-80 the cross winds were pretty strong. The coach handled really well - an easy one hand drive the whole way. No noticeable affect passing trucks and although I felt the gusts, the coach tracked where I pointed it.
However....I am still interested in what you are doing and could see myself changing out the Sheppard box at some point as well. Thanks for all your efforts. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Regards,
Roy