RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2014, 04:43 AM   #841

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
Dennis k ...you have the same one as myself and deSanford.
Walt2137...that is what I need. Thanks

More numbers please, I am hoping to give my source at least 4 to cross reference.

I should have my parts in hand Monday morning and I will be under the coach Monday afternoon and the next few days until I am finished.

Thanks again.
Craig,

2006 Diplomat with Sheppard M100 PPN31. Maximum play is 1 inch.

Bob

2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:11 AM   #842

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Craig,

2006 Diplomat with Sheppard M100 PPN31. Maximum play is 1 inch.

Bob

Same here, but a 2003.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #843

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
Hey Craig,

My Sheppard box is a Model M100 PPN31. Let me know if you want pics. As I wrote earlier, I don't seem to have much lost motion in mine. I haven't measured it yet, but estimate less than 1" lost motion. It doesn't seem to bother handling now that I have Van's cross braces and the Source-Roadmaster anti sway bars. Both of those additions made a significant difference. We just took a crowd of 80+ Y/O aunts and uncles on a tour of Lake Tahoe and coming back down I-80 the cross winds were pretty strong. The coach handled really well - an easy one hand drive the whole way. No noticeable affect passing trucks and although I felt the gusts, the coach tracked where I pointed it.
However....I am still interested in what you are doing and could see myself changing out the Sheppard box at some point as well. Thanks for all your efforts. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Regards,
Roy
Thanks Roy
I have some pretty good detailed information to post in a new thread hopefully coming This Monday night.
I hope the new information will shed some serious light on what peoples real choices are on their coaches when it comes to the steering play that is steering box related.

Stay tuned and glad your coach is improving, great to hear.

Craig
CrazyKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #844

Monaco Owners Club
Gearhead383 and Nodine Glad to hear we have another popular box, that helps

Thanks
CrazyKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #845

Monaco Owners Club
I forgot to mention that my Sheppard has about 1/2" to 3/4" of play, and that was when it was brand new.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #846
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not sure a lot has been discussed about the slip joint. I haven't checked mine other than a visual check this am. For those that have do you see any way to temporarily lock things together?

It is 111 degrees outside and may get higher later so I won't be digging around outside tonight.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #847

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Not sure a lot has been discussed about the slip joint. I haven't checked mine other than a visual check this am. For those that have do you see any way to temporarily lock things together?

It is 111 degrees outside and may get higher later so I won't be digging around outside tonight.
Myron (and others), doesn't that slip joint move when you tilt or telescope the steering wheel? Practically, that might prevent you from disabling its function. I'll agree that if it is loose, something needs to be done about it. I have not looked closely at mine, but is it a simple tube-inside-a-tube, or something more sophisticated?
Old 06-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post

Myron (and others), doesn't that slip joint move when you tilt or telescope the steering wheel? Practically, that might prevent you from disabling its function. I'll agree that if it is loose, something needs to be done about it. I have not looked closely at mine, but is it a simple tube-inside-a-tube, or something more sophisticated?
Van, it does not move when you tilt or telescop. It seems to be a larger diameter tube, that slips over another piece. I'm guessing both pieces are geared or have splines. It's a little tough to see or get to, as it fits right under the floor. My owners manual grease points never mentions this zerk and I'm sure many monaco manuals are the same as mine. I'm hesitant to remove mine as it seems it may be a chore, and I don't know where to find a replacement.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #849

Monaco Owners Club
I wonder if the "Coburg guys" know anything about the tubes crah. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #850
YC1

It is a spline. If I find some slop in mine I will set the steering wheel where I drive it and try to lock the spline in place. Lets see, epoxy instead of grease. Just kidding but sometimes out of funny suggestions comes a helpful answer.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
It is a spline. If I find some slop in mine I will set the steering wheel where I drive it and try to lock the spline in place. Lets see, epoxy instead of grease. Just kidding but sometimes out of funny suggestions comes a helpful answer.
Myron, you are right about helpful answers from funny suggestions. Some engineering departments called it "brainstorming" in my younger days. The idea was to assemble a group of engineers, describe a problem to them, and ask for off-the-cuff suggestions for an answer. The only rule was you could not reply to someone else's suggestion with anything negative. The whole exercise was aimed at what is called "thinking outside the box" nowadays. It actually worked. And I think some of the progress we have made on this thread has been the result of doing just that. Ex.--never in a million years would I have guessed that the Sheppard-to-TRW could be made into something that the average wrench-guy could do, so I never really pursued it. Craig thought, "Long shot. Sounds unlikely. But I think I'll check it out, anyway." That may result in the greatest technical coup in this thread's history. I'm humbled. <G>

But to answer your question about rendering the slip joint immobile--if it is like some automotive joints I've seen, the inner and outer members are made of sheet metal...heavy sheet metal, but still sheet metal, and entirely adequate for the job. If that is the case on your coach, you may be able to get a 2-pc set collar or two and use them to "squeeze" the two together. Shaft & Clamp Collars | MSCDirect.com
Old 06-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #852

Monaco Owners Club
Just curious does the spline shaft supposed to move to adjust its length to the U-joints? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #853
YC1

Van, I went through a problem solving course with Motorola which taught exactly as you mentioned. It works well. Even if my wife does not understand problems I am working on she often stirs some thought that is helpful.

Here are some pictures of the spline. Having my wife turn the wheel with the engine off I studied the shaft and spline. No slop was noticed. So the play is inside the gear box. I am going to see if I have any diagrams of the insides of it. Anyone thought of having new gears machined? A friend of mine made gear boxes for engine/propeller systems. I am sure it could be done with tighter tolerances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140630_154146_128.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	66523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140630_154034_066.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	66524  

Name:	IMG_20140630_154126_691.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	66525  
Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #854

Monaco Owners Club
Update,

Sheppard box was out of the motorhome in about an hour. Then install the new box, for some reason I started at the pitman arm for fit, and the one they sent is not going to work. I called the Box Guru and he will be on it first thing in the morning. SHOULD BE just a hiccup but until the new box is in and tested I will not start the "new thread".

I want to make sure this is a job the average wrench guy can do, considering they wanted $500 just to pull and reinstall my steering box, not including a GREAT rebuild. OUCH ! I have put my effort into the HD94PQ31 to start this process. I will be giving my contact the model numbers I have collected in the last week, THANKS everyone, to get the best units for a TRW box swap.

I have found a TRW box with the SAME bolt pattern as the Sheppard so fit is easy, I will drill a 1 inch hole in my steel plate tomorrow for the adjustment screw...YES ! and hunt down a gallon of power steering fluid, I could not believe how much came out...glad I had a big jug.....ha ha.

A few pics to keep you looking :-)

I have learned SO MUCH in the last month of research. Lots of web time, emails and phone calls. I am grateful to have found a professional rebuilder who understands our plight.

FINGERS CROSSED ! Thank YOU ALL for ideas and information, it just proves that we are smarter together than anyone of us standing alone. I tried walking on water once....I GOT WET !!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040671.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	66543   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040673.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	66544  

Name:	P1040682.jpg