Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #1373

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

I like your use of a top tension bolt to reduce rocking of the H-frame brackets. I have noticed that mine moved a little after the last trip down I-5 and found the bolts holding the two clamp plates needed re-torquing. I was thinking of drilling and tapping for some set screws on the side that connects to the links, so I could run them in to "bite" into the H-frame.

Angling the pivot is a great idea for increasing clearances.

I also like your use of U-bolts. I may retrofit mine with some if I can get the right size, or decide to make them up myself.

Your continual refinement of this design is much appreciated.

I noticed in one of Van's post that you found a Bridgeport. Congrats. I wound up tearing mine completely down, repainting and replacing a bunch of parts. I found H&W Machine to be a good source for parts, data and support. They will even talk to you about technical issues if you call: H&W Machine Repair & Rebuilding - Parts and Service for the Metalworking Industry.

All the best,

Roy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #1374

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Roy,

I originally had two bolts, one on the outside of each u-bolt. Then noticed that the shock mount was in the way so I resorted to a single bolt. We'll see how well it works.

I had those u-bolts custom made by Plattsburg Spring. Costs much more than 4 - 3/8" x 3" bolts but since I don't need the additional plate the costs are about the same in the end.

I wound up buying a mill "project". Well used Lagun FT2 for $900. I've partially torn it down and have started restoring. Probably take me all summer but in the end I'll have a nice machine with new DRO and VFD drive.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #1375

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

I am sure you will have fun rebuilding the Lagun and when done, lots of fun using it. Sounds like a great price.

I stripped my mill all the way down, and repainted it with catalyzed single stage urethane. It really makes a nice hard finish. But I also found some surprises and wound up having to replace some pretty pricey parts.

Good luck with your rebuild.

Roy
Old 05-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #1376

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

BTW, if you don't already have a lead on a VFD, I used a Hitachi that I got from Drives Warehouse. I'm pretty happy with it. They have good prices, fast shipping and good customer service.

Roy
Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #1377

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
Mike,

BTW, if you don't already have a lead on a VFD, I used a Hitachi that I got from Drives Warehouse. I'm pretty happy with it. They have good prices, fast shipping and good customer service.

Roy
I too can testify to the Hitachi VFD as I have the WJ200 model on my lathe and have been very happy with its performance. My mill is single phase and variable speed so no need for VFD in that application.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #1378

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the advice on the VFD.

I've started removing four layers of paint from the base. Next month I'll sand and epoxy primer it. Then put on a good coat of machinery gray polyurethane. I'll do the rest one part at a time until it is back together.

This is/was pretty worn out. About 0.065 backlash on the screws, no more adjustment left in the gibs, missing knobs, handles, etc even though the seller (craigslist) claimed it was low time and in very god condition. In fact, the pictures he posted on craigslist may not have been the same mill. Either that or the pictures were taken a decade ago.

But, It was about what I expected for $900. I have no visions that I can make it new, but I can make it usable and it will be far, far better than a drill press.

By the way, I have finished up a rear watts link set using tie rod ends. Just took it off my coach (trial fitting). I need to sand and paint tomorrow. I'll post a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-06 17.40.18.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	95212  
Old 05-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #1379

More Castor

My Safari came with 2 1/2 degrees Castor. It would wander like mad. The BF Goodrich rubber suspension did not lend itself to much castor. Monaco said make it 6 and I did 5. That improved handling 80 percent. Now I wish I went 6 Degrees.

Cheers, Jim
westwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #1380

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How much time and cost did the alignment shop charge you to adjust for positive castor? I'm thinking about checking into this with a local alignment shop... Everyone that I've heard that has adjusted for more positive castor, has had good results as far as reducing the wandering.

Thank you. Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #1381

Monaco Owners Club
Sheriffbubba do you have a Sheppard steering box? Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #1382
YC1

Yep, an alignment can help but it is NOT the answer. I had two alignments done. The first one was about 250, the second was close to 400. Neither solved the wandering issue. Do the research on the type of steering gear you have as suggested.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #1383

Yes I do have the Shepard steering box. It has about 1.5 inches of play in it.... I fully intend on replacing it with the TRW as soon as I can arrange it. I'm wondering if adding some positive castor and a little toe in might benefit me until I can get the swap done.
I have a 1200 mile round trip down to southern Oregon next week and unfortunately I won't be able to get the swap done before then... (Working too much and poor planning on my part.)

Brian.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #1384

Monaco Owners Club
Brian don't waste your time or money on an alignment at this time get the Sheppard swapped out when you get back from Oregon. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:46 AM   #1385
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Brian don't waste your time or money on an alignment at this time get the Sheppard swapped out when you get back from Oregon. Sanford

Ditto:

Ride height (you can adjust yourself but must be very careful)
Steering box. (800-1200) I did it myself so closer to 800
Shocks 800 + labor or do yourself
X bars 200 + labor or do yourself
sway bars 700-1500 + labor or do it yourself
ride control valves 175 per pair. 4 pairs needed. easy do it yourself
Alignment (200-500)
This is a combined shock and sway bar kit Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
Watts link Must be custom built and installed at this time

And for fun:
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR Instant HP and huge reduction in noise. Mileage improvement too. About $650. Do it yourself project.

Diesel Power Digi CRTV Power Module for 2005-2015 Cummins 8.3L ISC & 8.9L ISL Diesel Pusher RVs - Parleys Diesel Performance

Instant HP and mileage improvement. Thirty minutes to an hour to install. The dyno results are amazing and so is the acceleration.

What a fun and expensive hobby this is.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #1386

Thanks guys, sounds like good advice to not get ahead of myself and just wait until I can get the steering box switched out.

YC1, Thank you for letting me know about the Source Engineering fan and the performance module. I would love to get both of those eventually. I wanted to let you know that I got the pm that you sent and I very much appreciate it and all of the advice...
I will send you a pm when I get a chance. I love the fact that you really know what works and doesn't with your rig because I have the exact same model. All your hard work and knowledge is great for someone like me that is still pretty new to all of this!

Thanks again. Brian.