Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Warning light stays on ??

Pre-trip tire check- found one low tire, took MH to tire dealer. No problem -slow leak at valve stem- replaced valve stem, everything OK. Start MH to return home 3 mile trip, warning light on dash stays on. Oil level is full, Radiator holding tank is just below MAX level , Hydrolic fluid level full. The warning light always comes on at start-up but goes off after engine starts--till now. Any suggestions or advice? owners manual says- out of range condition exist within the engine protection circuits. How many circuits might there be? Can cool temps cause false light indicators? Should I be concerned? ALL guages show good range on everything. Temp-Voltage-oil pressure-fuel- boost. The check trans light-the check engine light -low coolant light- stop engine light all go out as usual. Not sure where else to look for problem, suposed to leave on trip Monday AM. 2001 HR Endeavor-330 cummins. Thank you for any info you might have reguarding this problem. R&R a rear tire should not cause the warning light to trigger???
Daffy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Daffy Duck.....You don't say what light is on. If its the ABS or ATC light, its common for them to come on when the weather is wet or the coach sits for awhile. Uusally a few miles of driving or a restart after the coach has been driven will turn them off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #3

Don, The indicator light that is on is a light that just says "WARNING". Owners manual reads--idicates out of range condition exists within the engine protection circuits, Stop coach, check all fluid levels. So far I can't find anything low of fluid. I drove to tire dealer no light on. had the left outside duel removed a valve stem replaced, get in to go home, 'WARNING" light on dash stays lit. check oil level- fine, Radiator return tank shows full, Hydrolic fluid res. shows full. I'm going to check Trans in the morning. Not sure where else to check.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:17 AM   #4

In past posts on this forum that has always worked to mostly be the Low Coolant Sensor in the coolant recovery tank being corroded or having some crud on the sensor. Try unscrewing the sensor and and cleaning it. The transmission will have nothing to do with that warning light
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Your profile says you have a Holiday Rambler but does not state the year. There are differences in systems and engines so need to know for sure the year and engine.

I had this problem for several months. No not driving it all that time but the light stayed on that long. Could not find anything wrong. Removed the coolant tank coolant sensor and cleaned it. Changed the antifreeze, oil, hydraulic fluid, and the light stayed on.

I run VMSpc on my coach and it showed no codes at all. On a trip last year to Tampa, I stopped at Cummins in Ocala to have them check it. On that trip the VMSpc reported an abnormal speed sensor code. Mind you this was months after the light came on and would not go out. Turns out that was the problem and has nothing to do with any fluid level as the book says.

There are two speed sensors on my ISC-330. One is backup for the other. The test procedure takes several hours to determine which is bad, and at $100 per hour. Then they have more time to change it out. The tech suggested I just change them both as that would be cheaper than the test. Did that and total cost was $325 including parts.

Hey no more light biding on!

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #6

Thanks Mike, Rex, Don, I'm just a newbe getting feet wet and versed at the same time. Mike do you know if I have to drain the Anti-Freeze from tank to clean sensor and are we talking clean rag or emory cloth or wire brush?? Sorry not sure and don't want to damage anything. Wife asked was there any other fluids in the unit I didn't check when I couldn't sleep so Trans-fluid was the only one I hadn't checked. Then she asked me if I had checked the water In Batt. and wind shield wash? I have help. Rex we have a 2001 HR Endeavor. Not sure how long DW will ride with light on but we are going to leave for Florida MONDAY MORNING!!! tUFF tALK I know, now what was that number to road side.........
Old 12-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #7

You should be able to plug the coolant level hole with a rag or something. I have never had to clean mine but I woould suggest maybe something like 409 and a toothbrush to start with. Take a look at the probes and see how exposed they are. they are probably brass and just have goop on them. I would be very careful. Like you said in your previous post they want you to stop and check all fluid levels. The only one i know of is that coolant level sensor. Don't think you have an oil level sensor or a hydraulic level sensor so it sure points to the coolant level. There are two types of sensors. A single wire and a dual wire. With the dual wire the fluid provides continuity across the two small probes to indicate you have fluid. On a single wire there is a ground somewhere in the tank. I know on a dual wire I have pulled the plug off the sensor then jumped across the connectors to make it believe it has fluid and have made the warning light go out. Not sure on yours unless I see it.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Daffy Duck, the coolant probe should be in the top of your coolant tank. It is not screwed in, it is pressed into a rubber grommet. Disconnect the single wire on it, then pull real hard and it should come out. You may have to work the grommet out with it. If it is like mine, and it should be, it is about 10 inches long. You do not have to drain any coolant to remove it.

When you go through Ocala Florida, if the light is still on, stop at Cummins Coach Care there and have them fix it. If it is an engine speed sensor like mine was, you need it fixed. There is a backup but if one fails it will de-rate the engine and eventually shut you down. Better to have it fixed.

To get to Cummins, take I-75 exit 352 and turn right on W. Silver Springs Blvd. Go to SW 52nd Ave and turn left. Cummins will be on the left. They have overnight parking for customers with water and electric. If you get in after they are closed, just pick a spot.

I drove my coach 800 - 1000 miles with the light on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0889.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	16577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1673.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	16578  

Old 12-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #9

Rex, thanks so much for the pics and info for cummins. The kindness and generosity exemplified by the replyers on this forum for those of us out in the dark is truely amazing and deeply appreciated. I tried to remove sensor to no avail. Do not want to bust tank right before trip. I'll try again after we get down to Florida. If I have to stay longer waiting for a tank to replace the one I broke on the day we were to come home-- OH well....Hoping a new sensor will fix problem.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #10

Get your ECM updated. It takes care of most of the low coolant alarms.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Daffy Duck, If you do get the sensor out, ONLY clean it with a Scotch Brite pad. Best bet is to stop at Cummins. I fought this problem for a long time and did all the things connected with fluid levels including changing all of them. Nothing put the light out except changing the engine speed sensor. Your engine should also be an ISC-330.

Someone else advised to update the ECM - engine control module. I don't think that has anything to do with this problem. As far as I know, for out specific engines, there is no update for the ECM, and yes I did ask Cummins about that.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #12

You would think an engine speed sensor failure would set of a Check Engine Light and wouldn't fit the book's description of a Warning Light. If it can be read as a trouble code then even more reason it would be a CEL.
P
Old 12-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Mike it most likely would if it failed. Mine did not fail and reported only as 'abnormal' which the tech said indicated it was starting to fail and/or read incorrectly at times. It only set a code on the trip to Florida, but did not set any code for months prior to that. I live in Foley, AL and the code popped up on my VMSpc when I was about 40 miles from Ocala.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #14

Thanks Rex