RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #1

All 135 lbs. of my DW was sitting on one of those extra dining room chairs when it collapsed and sent her to the floor. Luckily just her pride was hurt. All 6 screws on the seat's piano hinge came out. She was sitting on the front edge of the seat and that may have put too much stress on the seat hinge.

I plan to refill the seat board holes with plastic wood and replace the old screws with larger diameter screws. I might even add a few more screws to both chairs for extra support. We don't use these chairs very often and this was quite a surprise. Maybe the best solution is to stow them under the bed and leave them there.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Phrog Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #2

All 135 lbs. of my DW was sitting on one of those extra dining room chairs when it collapsed and sent her to the floor. Luckily just her pride was hurt. All 6 screws on the seat's piano hinge came out. She was sitting on the front edge of the seat and that may have put too much stress on the seat hinge.

I plan to refill the seat board holes with plastic wood and replace the old screws with larger diameter screws. I might even add a few more screws to both chairs for extra support. We don't use these chairs very often and this was quite a surprise. Maybe the best solution is to stow them under the bed and leave them there.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Old 08-23-2007, 03:30 AM   #3
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
May I assume that since you are able to type that you did not accidentally laugh when she toppled?

I almost took a dive when my fold-out camp chair lost it's structural integrity. My DW almost fell out of her chair laughing until I reminded her that we were 300 miles form home and that she couldn't drive the RV. After verifying that she had her Visa and a good cell phone signal, she continued laughing.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Good Morning Guys...
Bama....I am glad to know that you do understand we women love our drivers...but those trusty plastic cards can save us gals many times over!! ...Tell your wife that I said...
..."Laugh on Sista!"

Phrog.. now that I have said that... I am sure you did not laugh at your dear wife....(the plastic does not work the same for you guys!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmmm... gravity must be strong this week.

My favorite outdoor chair (one of those that fold up into a tube - and the one that matched the exterior colors of the coach perfectly) also collapsed recently.

Guess I have to get a new rv since I can't find those same colors anymore.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Guess I have to get a new rv since I can't find those same colors anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just as good a reason as getting rid of those ants Bama had...actually from a female point of view...yours is a better one .. we are all about color coordination!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #7

You are all correct in that I did not laugh. I have been married 41 years and would like to keep it that way. I have also seen tube chairs collapse, but never a dining table chair. I am still trying to figure this one out. When I get back home I will look closer at the chair and try to determine what caused the failure.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Old 08-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Just bought a 2007 knight and one of the chairs was broken. I think Monoco should do something about the design. The dealer will replace at no cost but I suggest you buy a good foling chair. They take up less room and will not crash down with you in them.
Looking forward to our first trip in the Knight. Will join the group when we actually take delivery.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Just warning everyone... Corvette Man...but just wanted to say Congrats on your 2007 Knight ...When do you take delivery? I think you will enjoy this forum quite a bit ... the Monaco section can be quite informative & entertaining ..so enjoy and please post as much as you can..We all love reading everyone's adventures!

Old 08-24-2007, 03:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
Guess I have to get a new rv since I can't find those same colors anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron,

That's not a good option. While your coach is only one year old, you may not have thought about the fact that you already own a "classic coach". They don't make the floorplan with the atrium anymore.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corvette Man:
I suggest you buy a good folding chair. They take up less room and will not crash down with you in them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Corvette Man,

I think you are absolutely correct. Those extra wooden fold-up chairs that they stick in coaches today are useless, and they take so much room to store. You can't fit four chairs around the table anyway. On our last coach we trashed 'em and bought two sturdy metal folding chairs with fabric seats that "almost" matched. We kept them in an outside storage bay and rarely had a need to bring them inside. Instead, we just used snack trays and the sofa, if we had guests.

We've already bought a nice wooden folding table for the new Dip to use at the sofa. The silly folding chairs have never been taken out from under the bed - still have the plastic wrap on them. If we find we need that room for storage, we'll probably trash those as well.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #12
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Phrog Driver, don't use plastic wood. It will just pull out over time. Glue some wood toothpicks in the holes. The round ones. When dry, cut them off level and insert the screws using the same screws that came out or larger ones. Also a wood match will work, but not the striking end!

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #13

Hey Rex, thanks for the info. I will wait until I get home to pull the cloth backing so I can see what the screws are going into. If the seat wood is particle board, I will throw out the chairs and maybe get another set of chairs. We just don't use these chairs very much and I sure don't want anybody to get hurt using them. As for the "match", I might use one to burn the chairs.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Old 08-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey Rex, thanks for the info. I will wait until I get home to pull the cloth backing so I can see what the screws are going into. If the seat wood is particle board, I will throw out the chairs and maybe get another </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeouch.. wait ..save the fabric and make a matching pillow...at least you can salvage something other than the wood for kindling!