Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #1

water @ air filter

Hello,
Has anyone of you experienced and seen water @ the bottom area of the air filter enclosure/casing where you install your air filter element. I noticed this scenario twice on my 08 cayman. This is strange for me. Do somebody knows if this water gets to my intake manifold, will this corrode some internal parts of my engine?. It seems to me that air intake port/upper/left corner of the rear end of the unit is a bad design of monaco. I already drilled three holes as drain hole c/t casing mentioned above. Any other opinion out there will be highly appreciated.
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
MARANATHA......I've never seen water in mine, but I haven't really checked for it. The location of the air pick-up is actually in a good spot. It's picking up cool fresh air. If you look at other brands, most of them draw their air from the same place. I went out to look at mine to see if there is a scupper valve of some type at the low end of the hose, but there isn't. My hose runs down the back wall of the cap, makes a drooping loop into the air filter cartridge. I guess if I ever had water, it would have been in that droop.

Your air filter will filter out the water unless it's being overwhelmed. It's paper and will only absorp the water and dry fairly quickly because of the heat and air flow across it.

Something else you should think about. You said you've checked the filter and found water a couple of times. How often are you checking the filter and are you removing it to do so? The reason I ask is that you can do more damage by removing the filter and putting the old one back in then you will do by getting a little water in it.

In the old days and especially on my cars, I would pull out the air filter, bang it on the ground, look through it in the sunlight and put it back if it was still good. I later learned that this is a big NO NO with diesels. Vary small particles of dirt can clog the high pressure injectors on the diesel engines. The only time the filter should be removed is when it's being replaced with a new one. I take mine out and carefully wipe the housing with a damp cloth and install a new one.

I always want mine to run better and get better mileage and feel that the air cleaner will have a big impact on that, but it really doesn't. These coaches and air filters are designed to run at least three years under normal conditions without replacement. You can also monitor the air filter by the gauge in the rear compartment. It should be checked regularly toward the end of the filters life span. On really hard pulls up a grade, reset it and then check it again after normal driving. When it gets near the red, replace the filter.

I'm really ANAL and I change all my filters once a year. It's cheaper for me because I do it myself, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote