Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water drain near fuel fill line Monaco Monarch

We have a 2012 Monaco Monarch. We had freezing weather last night, and this morning we have water draining out of a purpose built drain that is right next to the fuel fill line (where the gas cap is in the back on the passenger side). The water is draining outside the coach. It is a drain with a flap, similar to the low point drains in the middle of the coach water compartment. The water is not hot, but is warm.

There is no water that we can find on the floor of the coach. We pulled the drawer out to access the back of the water heater and all connections look good and no water leaks.

Anyone know what the valve could be for. Is it some sort of overflow valve? Called monaco help line but they were not of much assistance. Imagine that.
lipsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Were you staying in the coach ?
Was the heat on ?
Any chance the grey tank is over full ?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Grey is 1/3 full. But we have discovered after taking the bed panel off that the fresh water tank was full. Almost bulging. So we believe this is the air vent for the fresh water tank and water is actually coming out that vent working like an over flow. . We usually only keep fresh water tank at 1/3 for emergencies. So we believe the four way valve where you connect to city water has become compromised and water is leaking from the city water filling the fresh water tank.

We called Monaco asking what the valve was for. In addition to being a complete smarta** the rep
Was of no help. Even with schematics he couldn't tell us the purpose if the drain with flap. Has anyone else had experience with a vent or drain in this area. The drain is directly under the fresh water tank. And the heater vent is right next to it. Possibly explaining why the water was warm but not hot.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsmack View Post
We have a 2012 Monaco Monarch. We had freezing weather last night, and this morning we have water draining out of a purpose built drain that is right next to the fuel fill line (where the gas cap is in the back on the passenger side). The water is draining outside the coach. It is a drain with a flap, similar to the low point drains in the middle of the coach water compartment. The water is not hot, but is warm.

There is no water that we can find on the floor of the coach. We pulled the drawer out to access the back of the water heater and all connections look good and no water leaks.

Anyone know what the valve could be for. Is it some sort of overflow valve? Called monaco help line but they were not of much assistance. Imagine that.
The fresh water tank that is under the bed that cannot be accessed easily has an overflow when it is full. It overflows in the rear under the water heater. I have a very slow leak when hooked up to city water. It overflows into the fresh water tank when the valve is on City water. When that tank fills it overflows. I don't have the problem because I very seldom carry a full fresh water tank. I have never seen a valve back there. Just the overflow tube. When I was boon docking at Quartzsite and I filled the tank. I kept checking the tank to make sure it was full. It overflowed there when full. I have the 2013 Monarch.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks wyorancher. The drain or air vent (whatever the purpose) was just forward of the hotwater heater, directly under the bed slide out and/behind the gas cap/fuel filler hose. We are full timing, and have been hooked up to city water for the past 2 months. When we dump, we always check all levels in all tanks. So about 4-5 days ago, the fresh water was 1/3 full, as it usually reads. I guess the leak from the city water into fresh water tank happened sometime between then and now without us noticing. Just never occurred to us that water may be leaking INTO the fresh water tank and filling it beyond capacity, since it has been at 1/3 this whole time.

Too bad Monaco couldn't tell us the purpose of that drain or vent when we called. That would have been so helpful in determining the problem right away, instead of having to basically take the end of the bed off to discover the full tank.

We switched over to the Fresh water tank and disconnected the city water. Now that water has drained off the tank some, the water is no longer coming out from under the coach. I guess now we just need to get the city water switch valve in the water compartment repaired or replaced.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsmack View Post
Thanks wyorancher. The drain or air vent (whatever the purpose) was just forward of the hotwater heater, directly under the bed slide out and/behind the gas cap/fuel filler hose. We are full timing, and have been hooked up to city water for the past 2 months. When we dump, we always check all levels in all tanks. So about 4-5 days ago, the fresh water was 1/3 full, as it usually reads. I guess the leak from the city water into fresh water tank happened sometime between then and now without us noticing. Just never occurred to us that water may be leaking INTO the fresh water tank and filling it beyond capacity, since it has been at 1/3 this whole time.

Too bad Monaco couldn't tell us the purpose of that drain or vent when we called. That would have been so helpful in determining the problem right away, instead of having to basically take the end of the bed off to discover the full tank.

We switched over to the Fresh water tank and disconnected the city water. Now that water has drained off the tank some, the water is no longer coming out from under the coach. I guess now we just need to get the city water switch valve in the water compartment repaired or replaced.
Never attempted. How easy is it to remove the top of the bed to access that area? I thought it was almost impossible. Instructions how you did it would be great.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
I have a 2011 Knight and had a similar problem. I found no water in the RV. So, I checked directly above the leak and frond it was below the shower. I took the panel off behind the shower and found all the water connectors to the water valves were loose. After I tighten them, no leaks.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Never attempted. How easy is it to remove the top of the bed to access that area? I thought it was almost impossible. Instructions how you did it would be great.
We just removed all the screws off the end panel. We didn't go so far as to remove the platform. We were just trying to see what was under the bed. Once we saw the full fresh water tank we were convinced it was an overflow drain that was draining outside. And now the tank is a 2/3 there is no longer water coming out. We have a switch valve for the city water compartment on order.

Tags
fuel, monaco, water