RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

Water filters and plumbing diagram

I found out you can't always trust the owners manual for accurate information. I recently had an issue with low water pressure. It went from 60 psi at the source to barely anything in the coach. I have a filter with pressure regulator at the supply faucet followed by the factory installed sediment/charcoal filters in the water pump bay. All were changed within the last five months. The factory plumbing diagram places the sediment filter on the left and the charcoal on the right with a warning to make sure they are in the proper orientation. In tracing our plumbing lines we found the water was entering the charcoal filter, which was the one determined to be clogged, first. The sediment filter looked new so it looks like the charcoal filter was doing all the work. The lines were in fact reversed from the printed diagram. So next time you change filters you might want to check the actual plumbing layout.
Which now gets me to thinking that the system as plumbed, is not as effective as it should be. I could not see any water flow direction arrows on the housing.

falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #2

I recently changed our filters also. The diagram in the book also showed them reversed. The water coming out of the water pump should go into the primary filter and then the secondary charcoal filter before it goes to the manifold.

I wish I could figure out what the fill, city water lever do with the water pump and the heater. Anyone got a clue how this system work, please give a shout.

thanks so much.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #3

In my rig there are two ways to fill the FW tank. There is a gravity fill which requires you to put the water hose in the outside fill port. The other way to fill the tank is while you are connected to city water, move the lever to the fill position. This diverts the city water from the coach plumbing and directs it to the FW tank. It must be monitored because it can overfill the tank. Once full, return the lever to the non fill position. If you leave it in the city fill position you won't get any water in the rig.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:20 AM   #4

Ok so what does the water pump do? Does it shut some valve off? I appear to have hot water when the water pump is on. But when it is off--no hot water. Do you know where the hot water tank is in the system? Does the water pump over power the city water? Cause I had the water pump on while doing dishes and we ran out of tank water.. any help would be great.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #5

Didn't you say you had an Aqua-Hot? If so your hot water comes from there. Yes, the water pump can over power city water if it is very low pressure. The water pump will only pump water from the FW tank. Many times in a campground with low pressure we make sure to have a full FW tank and then leave the pump on, it will make up the lost pressure using the tank water. When you say you run out of hot water, I don't understand. You aren't referencing the Insta-hot are you? The little auxiliary faucet on the side of your sink?
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #6

The water supply/ pressure in your coach is supplied by one of two ways. First is the city water connection. The water pressure and volume you get in the coach is a result of the pressure and volume at the spigot. This is when the water pump is switched off.
The second is via the fresh water tank and the water pump. With the city water off, unless the water pump is on, you will get no pressure from either the hot or cold. The water pump is plumbed between the fresh water tank and the coach plumbing. It has as part of its design, a pressure sensor and a check valve built in. When the pump switch is on, the pressure valve determines when to turn on the pump. If you open a faucet you lower the pressure in the pipe. The pump senses the loss of pressure and starts pumping. When you turn off the faucet the pressure builds in the system and the pump turns off. The pump diaphram also has the ability to act as a check valve, preventing water from entering the fresh water tank back through the pump. If connected to city water and this fails, water will enter the fresh water tank and overflow out the fill port.
If you are connected to city water and the pressure is low you can turn on the water pump to increase the pressure. Keep in mind when you do this, you are using water from to tank to supplement the city water source.
Your heated water source be it Aqua Hot or a water heater gets its water from the cold water plumbing. It doesn't matter where it's located. Water exiting from there is heated and is plumbed into the hot water faucets. If your getting water pressure but no hot water, then the problems lies in the heating device. I can't think of any reason you would have hot water only when using the water pump?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Thanks bill767 and falconman. I guess I wasn't clear, I was posting on 2 different threads about this. I was using the electric water heater. And I used the wrong word. I should have said, does the water pump override the cg water, NOT, over power. I will triple check but i am pretty sure I have no hot water wo the water pump being on. I am not using aqua hot at the moment but I imagine that that hot water tanks would be downstream of the water pump. I had the water pump on while doing dishes, so now I know why I ran out of tank water.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #8

Are you saying you have an electric hot water heater and an Aqua-Hot?
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #9

Yes I have an electric hot water heater and a aqua hot. I also have the optional electric baseboard heater and a instant hot (its broke).

I triple checked last night. I did get hot water with the water pump on. So it must have been an anomaly. I tried it at least twice.

So now I am trying out the aqua hot and the furnace is blowing. I'll check the hot water when I get the electric hot water off. So I can check one system at a time.

So when do I use the heat exchanger in the bathroom?

thanks guys.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Yes I have an electric hot water heater and a aqua hot. I also have the optional electric baseboard heater and a instant hot (its broke).

I triple checked last night. I did get hot water with the water pump on. So it must have been an anomaly. I tried it at least twice.

So now I am trying out the aqua hot and the furnace is blowing. I'll check the hot water when I get the electric hot water off. So I can check one system at a time.

So when do I use the heat exchanger in the bathroom?

thanks guys.

Moira,

Your hot water is provided by the AquaHot. You can turn the electric element off and you will have hot water as long as the diesel switch is turned on.

The heat exchanger in the bathroom is dependent on the bedroom heat. The switch in the bathroom will turn on the blower on the bathroom heat exchanger when the bedroom heat is on.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, water